Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Bradley Johnson

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fer and Snoody were emmense yesterday covering so much ground to support the lone striker. RVW deserved the credit for his performance but it was through the support of the players behind that he didn''t become isolated. Anybody who suggests Fer should be dropped on the strength of yesterdays performance can''t possibly have seen the game. Either that or they just followed the ball and thought the players appeared all over the pitch by magic...

[/quote]
I thought RVW too had a good game. He nearly strikes (no pun intended) me more as a type of midfielder than a forward. I can''t really put my finger on his strengths, but he hassles and closes down well at times. I don''t know if I will ever be a fan of Fer, he is very gangly and devoid of a fluid nature to his movement when the ball is at his feet. I worry about his tracking back and wild tackles in the box (yesterday got one right, but has given away pens) and he rarely looks up when receiving the ball meaning he gets unnecessarily dispossessed.
Howson can perform a more direct and attacking threat than Fer for me, even though Fer could make that one defence-splitting pass in a game, he is prone to too many errors to be first choice right now. He wants too much time on the ball.

[/quote]

Howson is a different player. Great ball carrier. Fer has a lazy gait but is deceptive. How many times yesterday was he the player that stopped RVW being isolated yet as you say was making defensive tackles in and around his own box.

Howson would replace BJ for me but only when BJ doesn''t do enough to keep the shirt. However with all these combinations a fit Tettey is the key.

[quote user="lappinitup"]After almost every game this season our Bradley has been recognised as one of our better players often candidate for MoM and yet, for the following games, most would put him back on the bench. Now we all know he isn''t our most technichally gifted player but for sheer guts, determination and will to win no-one can fault him. Every team needs a Bradley Johnson, Hughton knows it, Lambert knew it and he has to be a leading contender for PoS. Yet very few will include him in their team at Villa at the weekend now Howson is fit again.  He has improve tremendously as a footballer since he''s been here so shouldn''t we be looking at what he brings to the side rather than nit-picking when the odd pass goes astray?We are lucky to have him.[/quote]Personally I think it depends who we are playing. Against Tottenham or Man City the midfield used yesterday of Tettey, Fer and Johnson works well as all three can win the ball and have the legs and conviction to harrass the oppositions midfield. As we are expected to have less than 50% possession against the better teams in the league Tettey and Johnson''s tenacity is a major plus point.However against poorer teams such as Cardiff and West Ham the ability to play accurate simple passes and keep possession becomes important. We are also required to score goals and I think we need to go for a 4-4-2 with Howson and Fer in the centre who are our best passers and best chance of getting a goal from midfield as well and two upfront (preferably Elmander and Hooper) giving us an increased chance of both keeping the ball and scoring.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Howson is a different player. Great ball carrier. Fer has a lazy gait but is deceptive. How many times yesterday was he the player that stopped RVW being isolated yet as you say was making defensive tackles in and around his own box.

Howson would replace BJ for me but only when BJ doesn''t do enough to keep the shirt. However with all these combinations a fit Tettey is the key.

[/quote]
I just checked to see hell had in fact frozen over, as I agree with most of your points. Tettey is key. I do understand what Fer brings to the team, but for me I feel in the final third where it is so vital to maintain an attack he often is too slow to contribute in a fashion that matches the players round him. I would just like to see him given a rest either way. He got cramp on I think 80-85 minutes yesterday, and he looks worn out. Different player to the start of the season (bar the Hull no show).

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Howson is a different player. Great ball carrier. Fer has a lazy gait but is deceptive. How many times yesterday was he the player that stopped RVW being isolated yet as you say was making defensive tackles in and around his own box.

[/quote]
I just checked to see hell had in fact frozen over, as I agree with most of your points. Tettey is key. I do understand what Fer brings to the team, but for me I feel in the final third where it is so vital to maintain an attack he often is too slow to contribute in a fashion that matches the players round him. I would just like to see him given a rest either way. He got cramp on I think 80-85 minutes yesterday, and he looks worn out. Different player to the start of the season (bar the Hull no show).

[/quote]

Footballers spend the vast majority of each game without the ball. If you watched Fer you''d soon work out why he was worn out and got cramp. He''s rarely subbed which is testament to his fitness in a very demanding role.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Howson is a different player. Great ball carrier. Fer has a lazy gait but is deceptive. How many times yesterday was he the player that stopped RVW being isolated yet as you say was making defensive tackles in and around his own box.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Footballers spend the vast majority of each game without the ball. If you watched Fer you''d soon work out why he was worn out and got cramp. He''s rarely subbed which is testament to his fitness in a very demanding role.

[/quote]Which is something probably better appreciated if you are actually at the game, and seeing the whole pitch, and not just what the cameras want to show you[Y]

Don''t want to get carried away, but he has massively improved recently. I was one of his biggest critics but now it''s tough to know who to drop for howson.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Don''t want to get carried away, but he has massively improved recently. I was one of his biggest critics but now it''s tough to know who to drop for howson.[/quote]Howson is only just starting a development game tomorrow, I doubt he''ll be fit enough to start games for a wee while yet anyway.

[quote user="morty"]Which is something probably better appreciated if you are actually at the game, and seeing the whole pitch, and not just what the cameras want to show you[Y][/quote]
I don''t know. I have a 65" so I see quite a lot on my plastic stream. I can run around a lot too, but it doesn''t make me any good when I have the ball [Y] 
I bet you just had to post this with one thumb up your hole, and the other still in your mouth from where you spat your dummy out [;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Don''t want to get carried away, but he has massively improved recently. I was one of his biggest critics but now it''s tough to know who to drop for howson.[/quote]Howson is only just starting a development game tomorrow, I doubt he''ll be fit enough to start games for a wee while yet anyway.[/quote]
Oh you''re involved in the first team coaching set up now are you? Last I remembered you weren''t theres a good lad [Y]

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"]Which is something probably better appreciated if you are actually at the game, and seeing the whole pitch, and not just what the cameras want to show you[Y][/quote]
I don''t know. I have a 65" so I see quite a lot on my plastic stream. I can run around a lot too, but it doesn''t make me any good when I have the ball [Y] 
I bet you just had to post this with one thumb up your hole, and the other still in your mouth from where you spat your dummy out [;)]
[/quote]I am amazed you can see to type, with that ballbag hanging down in front of your eyes.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"]Which is something probably better appreciated if you are actually at the game, and seeing the whole pitch, and not just what the cameras want to show you[Y][/quote]
[/quote]I am amazed you can see to type, with that ballbag hanging down in front of your eyes.[/quote]
Oooohhhhh strong comeback. I''ll give it a ''C''!! Average grade for an average person!
Seriously though, if I had balls on my head they''d still be better than the vagina between your legs [;)] BOOM!

[quote user="morty"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI[/quote]
Fail again Mortimer. I''m English, from GY, and said it many times. You''re slow though, so I forgive you. Also in future highlight the link and hit the URL button. I know its tough, what with just the one free hand, but give it a go. There''s a good lad [Y]

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI[/quote]
Fail again Mortimer. I''m English, from GY, and said it many times. You''re slow though, so I forgive you. Also in future highlight the link and hit the URL button. I know its tough, what with just the one free hand, but give it a go. There''s a good lad [Y]
[/quote]I''m not interested in your life story.Now go follow Nigel around, I have football to discuss with the grown ups.

I''ve been critical of both Fer and Johnson, but both excellent yesterday and in fairness for the last few games. My only change for Sunday would be to start Hooper instead of RVW, who worked hard enough yesterday but just doesn''t look as threatening as Hooper or indeed have his touch,control or strength

[quote user="morty"]I''m not interested in your life story.Now go follow Nigel around, I have football to discuss with the grown ups.[/quote]
Debatable. I don''t know if you meet the grown up requirements with such a colourful vocabulary. I''d put you more pre-teen myself.
Having a debate with you is like playing a game of tennis with a blind man - I''d win the point ever time as it passes you by, whilst you get in a huff and shout expletives as its all you know how to do as a response! [:P]
I''ll give Nige and you equal attention, as I wouldn''t want one getting more attention than the other! [;)]

back to the BJ thread, his passing is improving all the time. Made yesterday''s goal, and some of his passes over the defence to the overlapping Ollson reminded me of Ian "Chippy" Crook finding Mark Bowen in the same positions.

Sorry DTRC. I agree, he''s playing very well right now, and I can''t fault his commitment and effort over the last few months. When he tries a chipped through ball to the wing, sometimes its a bit heavy but I feel he is trying to do something and looks for the run of Redmond or Olsson. Very happy with him, and that free kick....... wow.

Once again, that''s where Tettey is so valuable. Alex is fairly limited but incredibly effective at what he does; he harries the opposition in front of the back four, gets the ball back & passes short to retain possession. BJ is not really that type of player at all, he is actually more of a creative midfielder, but one who also likes to get stuck in & upset people. Thus he likes to try more ambitious passes, which will have a lower success rate. Alex gives him that freedom & so they work well together.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Once again, that''s where Tettey is so valuable. Alex is fairly limited but incredibly effective at what he does; he harries the opposition in front of the back four, gets the ball back & passes short to retain possession. BJ is not really that type of player at all, he is actually more of a creative midfielder, but one who also likes to get stuck in & upset people. Thus he likes to try more ambitious passes, which will have a lower success rate. Alex gives him that freedom & so they work well together.[/quote]
This ^^

I think his performance on Sunday vindicates what some people have been saying for a while; that Johnson is improving game by game and has the potential to be a decent midfielder at this level.

Some of his passing was really very good, a few overhit balls, but several well weighted 30/40 yarders as well. The thing I like is his desire to win the ball and sheer physical presence - he seems to come out on top of 50/50s more than he should.

Part of this is down to Tettey playing that role in front of the defence and allowing Johnson to influence the game more. I''m sure someone will come along with a meaningless pass completion stat to "prove" how much better Tettey''s passing is and that Johnson should make way for Howson, but I don''t think the midfield should be changed on the back of the last few performances.

Just shows how meaningless stats are without proper context!

For me, Johnson has been out most consistent player for the last 2 months. it''s just a shame these performances have coincided with appalling performances by Fer.

The whole midfield were top class on Sunday, Fer did look a bit tired towards the 70 min mark, i think he''s struggling a bit with fitness. Reminds me of Yaya when he first joined the league.

In case anyone was not aware, Johnson rightfully got Sky''s man of the match

[quote user="I.S."]I think his performance on Sunday vindicates what some people have been saying for a while; that Johnson is improving game by game and has the potential to be a decent midfielder at this level.

Some of his passing was really very good, a few overhit balls, but several well weighted 30/40 yarders as well. The thing I like is his desire to win the ball and sheer physical presence - he seems to come out on top of 50/50s more than he should.

Part of this is down to Tettey playing that role in front of the defence and allowing Johnson to influence the game more. I''m sure someone will come along with a meaningless pass completion stat to "prove" how much better Tettey''s passing is and that Johnson should make way for Howson, but I don''t think the midfield should be changed on the back of the last few performances.

For me he has stepped up a level and is starting to believe in himself.

Just shows how meaningless stats are without proper context![/quote]

In the pub before the game we talked about POTS, i mentioned Johnsons name, its hard to discount him if he keeps improving.

H

Its good to see Bradders getting some credit from the vast amount of posters, he started the season poorly but personally feel he has been very consistent for the last few games.

Personally I would''t drop him even if Howson was ready to slot back in.

It''s a personal opinion, but I''d like to see Fer given a rest and Howson back in his place when fit.

Thought Fer did ok yesterday, put a good shift in around the pitch closing down but without ever looking that threatening going forward. For the guy playing the more advanced role he seems to me recently to have provided little in terms of goal threat or vision, something someone like Hoolahan would be much derided for.

[quote user="Monty13"]Its good to see Bradders getting some credit from the vast amount of posters, he started the season poorly but personally feel he has been very consistent for the last few games.

Personally I would''t drop him even if Howson was ready to slot back in.

It''s a personal opinion, but I''d like to see Fer given a rest and Howson back in his place when fit.

Thought Fer did ok yesterday, put a good shift in around the pitch closing down but without ever looking that threatening going forward. For the guy playing the more advanced role he seems to me recently to have provided little in terms of goal threat or vision, something someone like Hoolahan would be much derided for.[/quote]
Could not agree more. Many have slated BJ for just "running around" in the past, and he has recently done that and also been creative. Fer needs a rest, as he offers little going forward as you said. Howson for me next weekend, even if to begin with he only plays an hour and then subbed off.

No crude rough tackles.

No endangering free kicks.

At long last finds a team mate with a meaningful pass.

A powerful shot almost on target.

Hopefully even better things will come.

The options I see for our best central midfield are Fer/Wes, Howson/Johnson, Tettey/nobody. They are the players I see interchangeable in our best centre midfield combination.