Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Bradley Johnson

After almost every game this season our Bradley has been recognised as one of our better players often candidate for MoM and yet, for the following games, most would put him back on the bench. Now we all know he isn''t our most technichally gifted player but for sheer guts, determination and will to win no-one can fault him. Every team needs a Bradley Johnson, Hughton knows it, Lambert knew it and he has to be a leading contender for PoS. Yet very few will include him in their team at Villa at the weekend now Howson is fit again.  He has improve tremendously as a footballer since he''s been here so shouldn''t we be looking at what he brings to the side rather than nit-picking when the odd pass goes astray?We are lucky to have him.

I''m sure this post will see dozens of replies saying you are crazy.
But I agree 100%.
Him and Tettey have created a very solid base. Its lead to two of Snodgrass'' best performances this season (yesterday and Cardiff), Fer improving playing in front of them. Good performances overall from Hooper and RVW. 
All we''re lacking is the goals. And thats not because we''re playing two DMs, its because we''ve wasted a lot of very good chances. Keep creating and we''re going to score 3 or 4 in a game soon. We just have too. 
Johnson has been key this season, unfortunately his best period coincided with the teams worst period, but we had a lot of injuries. If Johnson is dropped for Howson next week I don''t think we''ll get a positive result. Howson needs to compete with Fer for that spot. As long as Johnson and Tettey are fit they need to play.

He''s had a good season. And for all the talk about his passing, the one that found Snoddy yesterday was really rather good.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]He''s had a good season. And for all the talk about his passing, the one that found Snoddy yesterday was really rather good.[/quote]
So was the one to Hooper against West Ham.
Not the first time he''s done that. When he has a little time he can pick the pass. Obviously its hard to get the time in this league, but Johnson is a limited player that still brings a lot to the team and you have to work your team arounds players strengths and weaknesses, so someone like Redmond can draw a player away and give Johnson a bit of space in that area and he can play that ball. He can hit a decent shot as well, Palace goal and FK yesterday.
Many wrote him off before the season, during the season, some may still do now. He is a classic whipping boy for many who just look at his poor passing percentage and bring in a couple other stats to make him look terrible. But Lambert and Hughton have had him in the team as a pretty key player.
P.S
In case you didn''t know, I like Bradley Johnson ;)

I''ve been a strong critic of Johnson for a while. He was in very poor form at the beginning of this season (his performance at Hull sticks in the mind) and was rightly the 5th choice midfielder behind Tetty, Fer, Howson and Hoolahan for a while - but he has been playing well for a few games now.

For me the problem with Johnson is finding his best position, he can''t play the role Tettey has done at times, of screening the defence and he can''t play the more advanced role. He is good at running around and pressing opposing midfield, but he does try and force things too much at times (this is what leads to him smashing the ball out of play when trying a pass). 

The main critique of Johnson I would give is he isn''t an intelligent player - he often tries things in areas of the pitch that really aren''t wise. Whether it be breaking shape to press a player, attempting a long pass that has a very little chance of being successful, taking on a player and losing possession or making a rash tackle leading to a foul. Johnson is at his best when he can motor up and down the pitch, like yesterday, and put players under pressure. He is capable of a good pass or two, but that doesn''t make him a good passer.

Hopefully he can keep up his good form for the rest of the season and I hope to see him and Tettey in center midfield again next week, with Howson ahead of them as Fer is crying out for a rest.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Tettey helps BJ enormously. BJ only looks decent next to him. Looking forward to Howsons retune at BJ''s expense though. I think Fer, Tettey and Howson will really work well.[/quote]I think you fundamentally misunderstand the strengths/weaknesses of our players.  Howson has only been effective in the more forward role, replacing BJ with Howson will see us overrun in midfield.  Howson is a replacement for Fer in the advanced attacking role....and, as the sound adage advises, "if it aint broke dont fix it".  We just beat Spurs 1-0, created a good number of chnaces and looked very strong against a potent attack, yet we have people advocating change- why???

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Tettey helps BJ enormously. BJ only looks decent next to him. Looking forward to Howsons retune at BJ''s expense though. I think Fer, Tettey and Howson will really work well.[/quote]
Apart from the huge amount of games Johnson has played without Tettey and done fine.

I think we have some solid options, but...for me its clear that Howson could only replace Fer right now as both Tettey and Bradley are at the top of their game and whilst an exceptional talent Fer isnt. If Howson comes back in on similar form to when he left he will be a slight improvement compared to a slightly tired (?) Fer, nice problem to have at last. 

Had a poor start to the season but has done better recently.

I can''t see the team changing for next Sunday following yesterday''s win - unless there are knocks.

But, having said that, I wasn''t a great fan of Fer''s performance.

[quote user="GJP"]

I can''t see the team changing for next Sunday following yesterday''s win - unless there are knocks.

[/quote]Really?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Really?
[/quote]

Really.

Not saying he was awful or anything like that but I''ve seen him play better games for us than that. Infact he was better than that against Man City.

I don''t think whatever role it was he was being asked to play brought the best out of him. He didn''t show any great creativity or attacking threat in the final third and when Spurs pushed forward a bit in the second half he was playing too high to help out Johnson and Tettey.

Not a bad performance but the lesser of the three central midfielders.

You shouldn''t change the team after a result and performance like that.

The same starting XI should start against Villa if fit.

Johnson should have been MOM yesterday. Crucial tackles, passion, pressing of the ball, endless energy and some perfect passes. Best performance I''ve seen from him.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Really?[/quote]

Really.

Not saying he was awful or anything like that but I''ve seen him play better games for us than that. Infact he was better than that against Man City.

I don''t think whatever role it was he was being asked to play brought the best out of him. He didn''t show any great creativity or attacking threat in the final third and when Spurs pushed forward a bit in the second half he was playing too high to help out Johnson and Tettey.

Not a bad performance but the lesser of the three central midfielders.

[/quote]Fair enough[Y]I didn''t see the Man City game.

But for 1 inch he would have had a goal (of the season contender) plus the assist he did get and he would have been holding the match Champers. That was an unbelievable hit that looked like it should break the goal frame! Keeper never even blinked. If he had actually gone to save it it would more than likely have gone in off Lloris but it was too good a hit for the keeper to even move. Such a shame.

I''ve been a critic of Johnson too, but recently he has played well.

I still think a midfield three of Tettey, Howson and Fer is our best (Stoke away the perfect example of that working really well), but at this moment in time it''d be mad to drop Johnson.

I couldn''t believe that free kick. Unbelievable strike

I agree, if that free kick had gone in he''d have received the MoM award, and I think he should have in any case.

Can only add my voice to those praising his peformance yesterday - a real step up in level particularly after the first 15 mins when he finally found his passing range,   

he broke up play far more effectively than usual,  used the ball well and a peach of  a ball for the goal on top of his normal committment for the cause.    This BJ is a real asset to the club;   more again next week please bradders

[quote user="whistleblower"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Tettey helps BJ enormously. BJ only looks decent next to him. Looking forward to Howsons retune at BJ''s expense though. I think Fer, Tettey and Howson will really work well.[/quote]I think you fundamentally misunderstand the strengths/weaknesses of our players.  Howson has only been effective in the more forward role, replacing BJ with Howson will see us overrun in midfield.  Howson is a replacement for Fer in the advanced attacking role....and, as the sound adage advises, "if it aint broke dont fix it".  We just beat Spurs 1-0, created a good number of chnaces and looked very strong against a potent attack, yet we have people advocating change- why???[/quote]

I''d put howson in an advanced role and slot Fer next to Tettey. But until Howson is fit I wouldn''t change it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Really?[/quote]
This has finally confirmed for me why you post as you do. If you thought Fer was effective, and should still be in the first team now Howson is fit again then you''re mad.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Really?[/quote]
This has finally confirmed for me why you post as you do. If you thought Fer was effective, and should still be in the first team now Howson is fit again then you''re mad.
[/quote]Shove it up your arse, I shall post my opinion, nobody elses.Were you at the game?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Really?[/quote]
[/quote]Shove it up your arse, I shall post my opinion, nobody elses.Were you at the game?[/quote]
Touched a nerve it seems [Y]

Fer and Snoody were emmense yesterday covering so much ground to support the lone striker. RVW deserved the credit for his performance but it was through the support of the players behind that he didn''t become isolated. Anybody who suggests Fer should be dropped on the strength of yesterdays performance can''t possibly have seen the game. Either that or they just followed the ball and thought the players appeared all over the pitch by magic...

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Really?[/quote]
[/quote]Shove it up your arse, I shall post my opinion, nobody elses.Were you at the game?[/quote]
Touched a nerve it seems [Y]
[/quote]You''re a d1ck.There, that what you wanted?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fer and Snoody were emmense yesterday covering so much ground to support the lone striker. RVW deserved the credit for his performance but it was through the support of the players behind that he didn''t become isolated. Anybody who suggests Fer should be dropped on the strength of yesterdays performance can''t possibly have seen the game. Either that or they just followed the ball and thought the players appeared all over the pitch by magic...

[/quote]
I thought RVW too had a good game. He nearly strikes (no pun intended) me more as a type of midfielder than a forward. I can''t really put my finger on his strengths, but he hassles and closes down well at times. I don''t know if I will ever be a fan of Fer, he is very gangly and devoid of a fluid nature to his movement when the ball is at his feet. I worry about his tracking back and wild tackles in the box (yesterday got one right, but has given away pens) and he rarely looks up when receiving the ball meaning he gets unnecessarily dispossessed.
Howson can perform a more direct and attacking threat than Fer for me, even though Fer could make that one defence-splitting pass in a game, he is prone to too many errors to be first choice right now. He wants too much time on the ball.