Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Is RVW worth it

He''s a proven striker at his other clubs but in the premier league he looks without drive in front of goal, mind you he has improved with watching the Spurs game, Opinions on the wolf?

On a general note, there are alot of players who are proven and ''great'' at some clubs and ''fail'' at others, through no other reason than some fit, some don''t, prime example being Mike Sheron who scored regularly for everyone except us.

On the specific case of the Wolf - I think he''s taken time to adapt to the Prem, OK, it''s cliched, but I think true. He''s had a long injury which won''t have helped and only regular match time now will improve him as he gets up to speed with English football.

I have high hopes for him next season, and I honestly believe that he will come good.

I think that RVW''s best game for us was Chelsea at home, unfortunately it was followed by his injury and long lay off, I thought Sundays performance was him getting back to that form.

Is Hooper worth it? Is Elmander worth it?

Obviously RVW was the biggest transfer fee but we paid a few million for Hooper and are paying Elmander''s hefty wages for a combined return of 6 league goals so far.

There have been chances that the strikers should have done better with but we have also got to get better at creating quality chances for them and getting good support to them.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

I think that RVW''s best game for us was Chelsea at home, unfortunately it was followed by his injury and long lay off, I thought Sundays performance was him getting back to that form.

[/quote]Agree with that, and he got injured because he was getting frustrated at not being passed to.  Kicked the hoarding if I remember correctly.

[quote user="GJP"]

Is Hooper worth it? Is Elmander worth it?

Obviously RVW was the biggest transfer fee but we paid a few million for Hooper and are paying Elmander''s hefty wages for a combined return of 6 league goals so far.

There have been chances that the strikers should have done better with but we have also got to get better at creating quality chances for them and getting good support to them.

[/quote]

Does this mean that the ''we''re so sure he was past it and probably not very good anyway'' Grant Holt has (so far) outscored the three of them combined with his goals tally from last season? (the same tally he was lambasted for as it wasnt 17)

Personally I think he is good, his header on his debut was great, just it comes down to confidence, he''s been knocked from then on, I would like to see him next season (this season preferably) showing us what he can bring to norwich - this is my first topic/ post on here glad to see a warm response

As things stand at the moment you''d be hard pressed to argue that he has been worth it. However club legend Iwan Roberts had a pretty poor first season so I recall so I am hopeful that next season with some stability in the team and a continuation of the upward trajectory in recent performances that he will show his worth. RvW is hampered by his high price tag but there are many others who have not shone this season either.

But one thing he does need to work on is his strength, still looks easily nudged off the ball to me.

The RVW story has all been a bit embarrassing really.Remember all the bally-hoo after we signed him in January last year and we were all worried that if we went down he''d never arrive ? Then there was all the pre-season hype by the Club with the '' Feed the Wolf ''  replica shirt advertising campaign. It reminds me of the time we signed Darren Beckford from Port Vale many moons ago. 60 goals over 3 seasons for the Vale, admittedly in the old Second Division, but couldn''t hit a barn door here.It''s no reflection on NCFC or the player himself I think RVW will unfortunately turn out to be one of those '' square peg in a round hole '' Beckford situations. I think he''s more skilled than Beckford ever was but maybe the Premier League''s not for him.Whatever League we find ourselves in at the end of the season I can see him leaving Carrow Rd in the summer.

The question for me is; do you trust Hughton. I personally do. He tried to get ricky when he was at newcastle so he had his eye on him for a while, but you can see he needs to beef up a bit compared to the other players in this league. Only time will tell if he''s worth it, he might have a great next season or the season after for us, who knows. Look at P. Cisse for Newcastle, he scored a load in his first season, but has hardly scored since (look at his miss a couple of days ago). I guess for strikers its more about confidence as that chance for ricky on sunday, i think he would have taken that no problem last season, having watched him a few times

He''ll do well next season.
Some strikers (or players in general) hit the ground running. Michu and Benteke looked like world beaters last season. Now, a couple of injuries each and when they have played this season haven''t looked like half the player they were last season. I think RVW will be the opposite, not a great start but will almost certainly come good.
He can work in this league, he''s played better than many give him credit for, I think mainly because he hasn''t scored and has missed a couple good chances. Hooper hasn''t had any real flack for the few very good chances he has missed since his last goal, because he got the goals. If Hooper hadn''t had that penalty to start him off maybe he wouldn''t have then scored a few more and would be in a similar position. But it seems blatantly obvious to me that RVW is doing at least as much for the team generally as Hooper. The problem is the link between midfield and striker. Hooper had Elmander. He hasn''t scored without him on the pitch, he helped win that penalty. He laid the ball of for the super goal, he took all the beatings from the defenders to give Hooper a huge advantage. RVW hasn''t had that, and has struggled to link up perfectly with any of the midfielders. Like Hooper has when he''s played up top on his own. If we had an on form Hoolahan i''m sure both would do fine as lone strikers. But as it is, both have struggled up top on their own. But RVW is the only one who''s taken the flack for that. Its a vicious circle, we play 4-4-2 and struggle performance wise but scored a few more goals (just about), but Snoddy was doing terribly, Fer looked not great. We play 4-5-1 and the midfield looks very solid, but the striker suffers.

I think if there were other strikers drastically out performing RvW then we should be more concerned about Ricky''s performances. Every striker has found it tough in Hughton''s Norwich and RvW is just following that trend (along with having to adapt to a new league and deal with a nasty injury at a crucial time for him). Up coming World Cups can either really boost a player''s form as they strive to be included or really hinder their form as the additional pressure starts to get to them - a huge amount of pressure was lumped onto Ricky and it seemed every pre-season interview was all about that, it isn''t a huge surprise that it got to him eventually. He has been trying to force it in so many games and it has effected his natural ability - luckily he isn''t scared to cover a huge amount of ground and press hard from the front meaning even when he hasn''t been scoring he has still offered a lot to the team. I felt the Tottenham defence got a lot more time on the ball after Ricky was taken off at the weekend as Hooper doesn''t press as much.

No need to sell him in the summer, firstly as Norwich would take a massive loss on the fee and secondly it''s not as if Ricky is going to get many attractive offers. Keep hold of him and hope he can start from afresh next season, with the burden of expectation lifted from his shoulders a bit.

Think about this after reading the BBCs team of the week:

"Did you know? Jelavic has scored three goals in his last three

Premier League games - after a run of 21 league matches without scoring."

Same can happen to RVW.

Hooper hasn''t scored in 10 I think now??

Often watch RvW in games and he makes some brilliant runs off the last defender. Doesn''t get noticed. Yes he''s not the strongest but to say he doesn''t work hard is rubbish. Just because he doesn''t hustle and bustle around like holt used to doesn''t mean he doesn''t cover as much ground. If anybody does have the stats it would be interesting to see.

I wouldn''t say he''s missed too many clear cut chances you think he should have scored. Also hasn''t really had many chances! The formation we play always limits our forwards to what they can do, more likely is that we will have a free scoring midfield as they go up to support the single striker.

If hooper/holt had missed a clear cut chance in a game it would be a big sigh and a cheer. If RvW/Morison missed a clear cut chance there''s a chorus of negative comments.

Strikers play purely off form and confidence. RvW has none. Doesn''t matter what standard the Portuguese league was(which isn''t bad atall!) he was in the Dutch squad at the time alongside huntelaar & van persie. It''s easy to look at some one and say he''s not cutting it he''s a waste of money. Papiss Cisse looked like a world beater for Newcastle when he joined, now he can''t hit a barn door. Bony was terrible when he first joined Swansea and up until Christmas looked an even bigger ''waste of money''. The lad got himself a goal at he''s flying.

At the end of the day, RvW is here and he''s our player. He''s hungry to play football and wants to do well. The worst we can do is not give him 100% when he plays, as he gives 100% back. If he scores another 2 goals this season it could be the difference between 18th and 14th

With his record I doubt we would get too many takers for RVW, but his performance Sunday was very encouraging for the future. Really just needs a goal Villa next hope for penalty for Ricky keep Snoddy away.

18 games

1 goal

4 attempts on goal

Most notable contribution - rolling around when Toure stroked his back

€12 million plus wages

Sounds like deal of the century to me.

The club''s biggest ever transfer bust

[quote user="Simple Jack"]18 games

1 goal

4 attempts on goal

Most notable contribution - rolling around when Toure stroked his back

€12 million plus wages

Sounds like deal of the century to me.

The club''s biggest ever transfer bust[/quote]
Awwh bless. Poor Simple Jack is proving to be too simple and doesn''t understand football. What a shame.

It is very difficult to answer the question based on what we have seen, but all along, from some glimpses of quality, I have felt that he will end up being a great player for us. But, it has taken way longer than I thought, and I agree with those who see him as a bit of a work in progress ready for next season and not a waste of money.

He had a good game irritating the spurs defenders and won us the ball which led to the goalAnyone remember the moment he was like charging down the middle of the pitch with the ball and sort of ran out of ideas however? I could have seen Hooper just "having a go" from that range and suddenly... a lucky deflection or bit of magic and you have a corner / goal.That''s where the main difference seems to be. Hooper has a lot of confidence. Ricky doesn''t.He, like Elmander, does a job for us... it''s just not the one we payed all that money for (scoring goals)..... (yet)Hopefully this year will act as a test run for the lad (even if it is an almighty expensive one!) and next season... when we are still in this league... he will begin to shine.Just look at Michu and Benteke... one minute they are the best thing since sliced bread.. the next they can''t hit a barn door. Form can change very quickly in football. So much of it is down to game time, confidence and supply from the midfield however.We need better supply to our strikers. Very hard to find strikers for under 15m these days who can create chances themselves all over the pitch.

Before the match on Sunday I wrote:Redmond left, Snodgrass right - inverted wingers ..........RvW is on a

loser before he starts, as would be Hooper. ......... I hope I am wrong.

The performance of the team on Sunday was good but it must be a nightmare being a lone striker in that team.Both RvW and Hooper are strikers who benefit from balls being played into the box, especially balls pulled back from the goal line.With the inverted wingers the amount of space in the box is limited and gives the main striker little space to move into and gives the midfield little opportunity to play balls into the box.It also stops the midfield making telling runs into the box, which is the main reason for our very low number of goals scored from the midfield this season. A prime example of this was Tettey (who had a good game) whose shot from distance that went miles wide from far too far out. He had little alternative except to shoot as everything had closed up in front of him and there was no wide outlet available.RvW and/or Hooper will not score many goals in that formation and I cannot think of anybody who would.Jelavic''s goals came from good crosses into the box, something we are still short of.I thought both RvW and Hooper did well considering what was being asked of them.Sometimes players have to sacrifice their own game for the benefit of the team and on Sunday both RvW and Hooper did his. I feel that their manager would be happy with their contribution.

Ricky made a couple of excellent runs on sun losing his defenders only for first olsson and then redmond  to ignore him as an unmarked option.   It was noticable that it was a long way into the game before he had a  ball to feet.

Its clear he has a good brain and movement but is woefully short of confidence.   Soldado was 3 times the price and suffering the same problems - neither are the first striker to struggle in their first prem season and even jelavic and long are not that prolofic.   As others have said no city striker has impressed in the last couple of seasons.

the timing of his injury was crucial,  he caused cahill & terry some real problems against chelsea,  and not many players have this season.  He did not seem weak or lacking confidence when he won that header against terry.      That came on the back of a good performance in the stoke game - so just as he was finding his feet when he is forced out for weeks.    His time and goals will come if we continue to give him pitch time.  

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]The RVW story has all been a bit embarrassing really.Remember all the bally-hoo after we signed him in January last year and we were all worried that if we went down he''d never arrive ? Then there was all the pre-season hype by the Club with the '' Feed the Wolf ''  replica shirt advertising campaign. It reminds me of the time we signed Darren Beckford from Port Vale many moons ago. 60 goals over 3 seasons for the Vale, admittedly in the old Second Division, but couldn''t hit a barn door here.It''s no reflection on NCFC or the player himself I think RVW will unfortunately turn out to be one of those '' square peg in a round hole '' Beckford situations. I think he''s more skilled than Beckford ever was but maybe the Premier League''s not for him.Whatever League we find ourselves in at the end of the season I can see him leaving Carrow Rd in the summer.[/quote]I remember when I first saw that ''who''s afraid of the big bad wolf'' thing that we were maybe bigging him up a bit too much. You only have to look at the YouTube clips of him in the past to see that he''s got real flair in front of goal. He''s had a lot of problems to contend with like that long injury though. As someone else said, against Tottenham he looked like he was getting back to it, and it was his intervention that led to our goal.  I see what you''re saying about square peg in a round hole because he does need service, but the team has developed massively in terms of creativity of late. Once he''s got his goal-scoring mojo back he''s going to be magic.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]The RVW story has all been a bit embarrassing really.Remember all the bally-hoo after we signed him in January last year and we were all worried that if we went down he''d never arrive ? Then there was all the pre-season hype by the Club with the '' Feed the Wolf ''  replica shirt advertising campaign. It reminds me of the time we signed Darren Beckford from Port Vale many moons ago. 60 goals over 3 seasons for the Vale, admittedly in the old Second Division, but couldn''t hit a barn door here.It''s no reflection on NCFC or the player himself I think RVW will unfortunately turn out to be one of those '' square peg in a round hole '' Beckford situations. I think he''s more skilled than Beckford ever was but maybe the Premier League''s not for him.Whatever League we find ourselves in at the end of the season I can see him leaving Carrow Rd in the summer.[/quote]I remember when I first saw that ''who''s afraid of the big bad wolf'' thing that we were maybe bigging him up a bit too much. You only have to look at the YouTube clips of him in the past to see that he''s got real flair in front of goal. He''s had a lot of problems to contend with like that long injury though. As someone else said, against Tottenham he looked like he was getting back to it, and it was his intervention that led to our goal.  I see what you''re saying about square peg in a round hole because he does need service, but the team has developed massively in terms of creativity of late. Once he''s got his goal-scoring mojo back he''s going to be magic.[/quote]I do hope you''re right. There''s no doubt he''s a class act and knows where the net is but I just wonder if we''re the wrong club.I''d love him to succeed here I really would.

[quote user="Pitchforks Torches"]

Think about this after reading the BBCs team of the week:

"Did you know? Jelavic has scored three goals in his last three

Premier League games - after a run of 21 league matches without scoring."

Same can happen to RVW.

[/quote]You forgot to mention that Jelavic moved clubs.

[quote user="MyGodWeArePoorToWatch"]RVW is shocking.

It shows how poor the other leuages he has played in are.

If we get any offer over half we paid. Get shot.[/quote]

C. Ronaldo played for ricky''s team, only scoring 3 goals in a season, although he was young, he had more talent than his goals would suggest