Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Spurs

[quote user="Alfie54"]I thought that RVW worked hard today but we looked so much more dangerous when Hooper came on.  [/quote]

But surely that was mainly because Spurs had started to commit numbers forward and as such were thin on the ground defensively and leaving us lots of space?

Moreover, Hooper had fresh legs against a tiring Spurs defence.

As usual a great report, thanks. For me Snodgrass was the clear MoM in a great team performance, as his general effort and gusto is infectious and I think it set the scene. I was very confident of a win going into the game, as I am now for a point against Villa.....or a sneaky win, oh now that would be sick (as my teenage daughter would say).

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]As usual a great report, thanks. For me Snodgrass was the clear MoM in a great team performance, as his general effort and gusto is infectious and I think it set the scene. I was very confident of a win going into the game, as I am now for a point against Villa.....or a sneaky win, oh now that would be sick (as my teenage daughter would say).[/quote]Yes DM, he''s been much maligned of late but he is the one player you can rely on to give everything even when it''s not going for him. He was very calm and precise with the goal. Something young Redmond needs to learn if he''s ever going to cut it at the top level.

A few points fom a very amateur watcher.1) The first half was probably the worst 45 minutes of football I have seen in the top flight (or even below!) at Carrow Road. Truly dire. This is not a criticism of us. We are not meant to be that good. But Spurs are supposed to be challenging for the Champions League. Anyone who still peddles the line about the Premier League being the best in the world should be locked in a room and forced to watch that first half on a loop for a day or two. The second half wasn''t much better in terms of skill and technique, but at least there were some incidents.2) We deserved to win.3) The man who sits behind me to my right needs to understand that the reason Snodgrass tries to beat him man a few times is that he just doesn''t have to pace to get past when he has only sort-of or half-beaten the defender once. He needs to beat them more comprehensively to get away.4) Leaving aside 3 minutes against Cardiff and 20 against Man United, my first real sight of RvW. Brutally, he is not up to it. He is unlucky because he might work OK in a 4-4-2 playing alongside a really good target man. From our past Ron Davies, Phil Boyer, Chris Sutton, Holt in his prime. Then the one talent he may have - pure goalscoring - would potentially come into play. But 4-4-2 is out of vogue. Tactically RvW has been born in the wrong time.Based on yesterday, he has no other attributes. He is not quick, his control is poor, his movement so-so, and he lacks devil. That kind of almost nastiness that some strikers - such as David Speedie and Bellamy - have that upsets defenders. I know Hooper was playing aginst a Spurs team pushing forward more, but the contrast when he came on was stark.

I think the box of four really suits us. Bassong, Yobo, Tettey and Johnson make it really difficult for the opposition to run through the centre of midfield and expose our centre backs. If the opposition does attack along the flanks the angle of attack is quite tight and reduces the chance of a goal being conceeded. The wingers and Fer can get up to support the one striker and it allows the full backs to push up too.

As for the Spurs game I thought Ruddy was back on form and that can help inspire confidence in the defence too.  Snodgrass gives us everything and I am pleased to see another goal from him. It would be great if Wolf could score too.

It would be ideal if we could get a positive result at Villa and keep moving up the table.