Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Spurs

Regular readers will know that I am a strong believer in omens. The only trouble is that you can never tell when one is coming along but I definitely had one last night. I dreamed Snowy the cat was sitting on the bottom of the bed and when I awoke with a start I almost expected to see the little fellar there. It had to be a good omen and I don''t know if it was that or the couple of pre-match Peroni''s but it was a super confident Ricardo that strolled down to the match this afternoon.RVW came in for Hoop''s otherwise it was same again for City and in the opening exchanges we looked quite solid in the centre of the field. Redmond zipped down the left and earned an early corner which was delivered well and the ball bobbed about dangerously before Lloris claimed it. City had settled first and the majority of play was in the Spurs half and although chances were few and far between it was good to see us playing the ball about with a bit of confidence. There was a moment of alarm when Lennon played a nice ball through the centre but thankfully Dembelle took his eye off the ball and the chance was gone. In truth, Spurs were surprisingly lackluster and fully a quarter of the game had passed before they had so much as an effort on goal. At the other end City nearly produced the opener when Johno chipped a great ball to Olsson only for the fullbacks cut back to bisect RVW and Leroy Fer. City were now in the ascendancy and Bassong almost got on the end of a Snoddy free kick. It was frustrating stuff but I was hugely encouraged to see us making a Spurs team that some had been touting as a top four side, look quite ordinary. Indeed, John Ruddy had only a couple of catches to make in the entire first half and could have spent most of it in an armchair. In the final action of the half Lloris did well to palm away another Snoddy set piece and then see out time as the corner came to nothing.If only we could score the first goal was my mantra at half time and within ninety seconds of play resuming my prayers were answered. The industrious RVW won possession on halfway and when the ball eventually found it''s way to Johno a great ball inside the fullback set Snoddy en-route for goal. He kept his composure wondefully and holding off a defender he curled the ball round the advancing keeper and in off the far post. It was just the tonic we needed and now with the crowd in full voice the City midfield was snapping away at every 50/50 ball as Spurs vainly tried to get back in the game.City were still coming forward at every opportunity but it was again frustrating when the mercurial Redmond spoiled good work with poor decision making with the final ball. The City defence had to watchful however and a mistake by Yobo set Adebayor away away clear on goal. Thankfully Ruddy timed his dive to perfection and snaffled the ball before the Spurs striker could get in a shot. It was all getting a bit frantic now with everyone giving 100% and the crowd cheering every Spurs mistake.It was inevitable that they would up their game at some stage and with time ticking away they began to exert more pressure. A couple of headers skimmed wide and Ruddy was again called into action with another good block. Then on 72 minutes RVW made way for Hoop''s. The big man had done well and received generous applause for a good shift as the lone striker. Hoop''s then won a free kick and Snoddy who was having his best game for some time was only inches away from doubling the lead with a dipping effort into the side netting.With the finishing line in sight it was getting very tense and Ruddy again came to the rescue with another good stop as Chadli threatened on the left. City earned another freekick in a good position and with everyone looking at Snoddy Johno suddenly hammered a pile driver that beat Lloris all ends up but cannoned off the bar and down to the wrong side of the line. A relieved Lloris then had to be at his best to foil Redmond with a block to his right. Wes then came on for Redmond and City should have wrapped things up when Hoop''s burst away on the right and played an inviting ball across goal that eluded everyone.City saw out stoppage time comfortably and there was more than a hint of relief in the roar that greeted the final whistle and three absolutely priceless points.Hero''s everyone, so I shall not be naming a MOM but no doubt Ruddy and Snoddy will figure high in anyone''s list. Top marks also for Johno and Tetty who both toiled well in defence and attack.As for the omen? well I believe in them even if you don''t.[:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ricardo"]Remarkably quiet on here tonight Morty.[/quote]I know.Most odd.

[/quote]Is there something good on TV?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ricardo"]Remarkably quiet on here tonight Morty.[/quote]I know.Most odd.

[/quote]Is there something good on TV?[/quote]That must be it.I have Sky Sports news on[:)]

Excellent performances all round I thought Ricardo, thought it was Fer with the through ball for Snoddy and Bassong that made the error that almost let Adebayor in though?

Best atmosphere at ''The Rud'''' for quite some time in the latter stages of the first half and the second, well done all round.

[quote user="Rivvo"]Excellent performances all round I thought Ricardo, thought it was Fer with the through ball for Snoddy and Bassong that made the error that almost let Adebayor in though?

Best atmosphere at ''The Rud'''' for quite some time in the latter stages of the first half and the second, well done all round.[/quote]You may be right, I haven''t seen the replays and I really must get some new glasses.

Thanks Ricardo.I really like the central midfield three that we have now. We just get so much more of the ball than when we play 4-4-2 and Fer also did some of the second striker role s well.

Funny how we play some of our best football when we play two defensive midfielders, yet Hughton has been pilloried for being negative in doing so.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Reckon Olsson was class today, he kept ploughing up that left hand side and back again and he kept Spurs at bay when needed. Big improvement on Garrido.[/quote]Has to be a candidate for player of the season, I can''t remember him having a bad game.

Thanks Ricardo.I''m waiting for Tom Cavendish''s scouting report, how will he give Martin 2/10 this week, maybe it was the poor way he dispatched the large inflatable. 

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]Thanks Ricardo.I''m waiting for Tom Cavendish''s scouting report, how will he give Martin 2/10 this week, maybe it was the poor way he dispatched the large inflatable. [/quote]Agreed, Whittaker would have made a much better job of it. But we must respect Tom because he''s an ex pro scout and also knows a lot about ground redevelopment etc.[;)]

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Reckon Olsson was class today, he kept ploughing up that left hand side and back again and he kept Spurs at bay when needed. Big improvement on Garrido.[/quote]Yes, its hard to name any slackers, they all gave it 100% today and the crowd showed their appreciation. I just wish young Redders would show the same composure as Snoddy but I guess it only comes with experience.

What a great result for us Ricardo! thanks for the report.

I thought we wanted it more, the mid field fought for every ball and won a lot more than they lost, great to see RVW win the ball for the goal, I was disappointed that Hooper wasn''t starting as the man up front, but CH got it totally right and deserves every accolade? Brilliant!

[quote user="Vanwink"]What a great result for us Ricardo! thanks for the report.

I thought we wanted it more, the mid field fought for every ball and won a lot more than they lost, great to see RVW win the ball for the goal, I was disappointed that Hooper wasn''t starting as the man up front, but CH got it totally right and deserves every accolade? Brilliant![/quote]

Yes VW, with 28 points on the board and 11 games left safety looks a lot more do-able.

Agreed Ricardo! we were always going to pick up points unexpectedly! I guess this was one of those games, but performances have suggested this would happen. Just need to keep the same intensity against our rivals, which I see no reason to believe we wont . Happy days!

I live in a city where confidence is everything. With it you can rule the world, without, it is hard to rise up out of the weeds. Today should fill those young men with a significant amount of the former.....Quite right though, it is very quiet tonight.

Great read as always, Ricardo.
It was Bassong''s error that led to Adebayor''s run through on goal.
Hard to single anyone out in a performance like that, but I thought Bradley Johnson was excellent throughout and I only wish his freekick had been an inch lower. It would probably have ripped the net off the goalposts.
And what a great loan signing Joseph Yobo was in the transfer window.
OTBC!

Thanks for the report, Ricardo.

I listened to the game on BBC 5Live for a change and the atmosphere sounded great. I have to say you seldom hear atmospheres like that at many EPL grounds these days and I felt really pleased for the fans there.

Put in a shift, stand up to the ''big boys'' and the Norwich support will get behind you. I hope that lesson was taken in today and there is more of the same.

The fact is, the team has been playing really well as a unit for weeks. The goals against have been few and the midfield has held it''s share of possession. With only a few goals, a modest return, we would be safe by now. That has been the problem and today it needed a clean sheet as we seldom score twice.

I was surprised to learn Spurs came into this game with the best away record in the league. So, we beat them, we almost beat Man City and we screw up against the sides around us and all because of our paucity of goals.

The side has deal well with all the knock backs and disappointments though and there is spirit enough to carry us through. Suddenly the last few games look less tough when you know you can pull out a result.

Hughton deserves credit tonight. I have already said the time is long gone to replace him so we go with what we have into the last games and see how he performs. Today was interesting in that he brought on Wes to keep the ball better when we were under pressure. Now that is showing imagination and guile; more of that please Chris.

We now have to follow this up. We haven''t done that very well this season and we must now. Looking at other sides the bottom four could begin to come adrift soon and Sunderland are in danger of doing a ''Wigan'' with two postponed games to fit in because of Cups.

This is how it should be. If Spurs had come back we would still be taking a lot from the game. We are a Premier League Club, there by right and capable of giving anyone a game.

As I said, I''m glad for the fans at the game. They have been owed that for some time.

I thought that RVW worked hard today but we looked so much more dangerous when Hooper came on. Odd performance from Ruddy several excellent saves but his kicking was awful. Great performance generally, so much effort and shear hard work, and in fairness some good football too. Really deserved that, so well done everybody. Must just keep it going next week, a win at Villa Park to pretty much seal safety and overtake them would be wonderful!

I thought it was THE performance of the season for me, because of the level of performance that was maintained throughout the 90 minutes , against a team that had been on fire before today.

Last season, against them, we managed it for 70 minutes, and the crowd did their bit today.

We made a top 5 team look ordinary today. Awesome

It was pretty windy down on the pitch Alfie, not sure that explains Ruddy''s kicking but it won''t have helped.

Thank you as always Ricardo. We were all excellent but I was sooooo impressed with tettey today. He was everywhere. Is it just me or are we defending higher up the pitch than we were in the first half of the season. And closing down much quicker. We used to be 5 yards off every player who had the ball. Now we''re no more than 5 feet. Excellent performance.

Great as always Ricardo.

One thing that struck me was that we seemed to collectively tire about 10 mins after the goal - about when Bassong messed up. Was that so, or was it Spurs upping their game? We really needed Ruddy to be at his awesome best at that point, & he didn''t let us down.

Feel so sorry for RvW. I''m really wondering if he''ll ever cut it for us, but you cannot fault his attitude.

Some days it''s just wonderful to be a NCFC supporter!!

RVW won the ball that got us the goal, stick with him.

He was criticised on MOTD for missing his chance and probably fairly so, but he was in the right position and with a bit more confidence he would have put that away. More game time and playing in a confident team, he will get there IMO

[quote user="Alfie54"]I thought that RVW worked hard today but we looked so much more dangerous when Hooper came on. Odd performance from Ruddy several excellent saves but his kicking was awful. Great performance generally, so much effort and shear hard work, and in fairness some good football too. Really deserved that, so well done everybody. Must just keep it going next week, a win at Villa Park to pretty much seal safety and overtake them would be wonderful![/quote]

Apparently ruddy was struggling with his groin according to radio Naaarfolk which may account for the kicking.

Apologies Ricardo it was Jonno with the through ball, though it was also Bassongs mistake, we''ll call it a draw 😃