Sign in to follow this  
Drazen Muzinic

Snodgrass - I JUST DON'T GET IT

Yes, it''s easy to look for scapegoats but that''s not the point of this thread.

I would like somebody to explain to me why he is continually picked by Hughton when the evidence of my 35 years watching football tells me he is a liability to our team.

We played out of our skins against Citeh and deservedly got plaudits for the tactics and determination to get something from that game.

The only change from that game is Snodgrass walking back into the team.

Why on Earth would you make that change going into tonights fixture?

Tonight our most potent threat in Redmond is substituted in favour of Snodgrass staying on despite the former being our most potent attacking threat and the latter offering nothing more than his usual huff and puff down the wing with the occasional petulant whine for not getting a free kick because his centre of gravity is in his neck. (Lee Croft anyone?)

The recent spat with the Snakepit showed he is not in the right frame of mind to help dig this team out of the mess it is in. Never mind all that ''he''s showing passion for the cause and he cares'' garbage. The whole episode created an unnecessary sideshow and an unwelcome distraction for the team.

Yes, he missed a chance to score tonight but so did others. I just feel he has not deserved his place for some time now and needs a rest but every time he is available, he is an automatic selection.

Does he have something over Hughton? Some revealing Polaroids of something illegal maybe? Is he holding Hughton''s family hostage for the duration of the season?

All he is doing for Hughton is helping him demonstrate his ineptitude.

I. JUST. DON''T. GET. IT.

He looked like he was actually crying at the end too. He really needs a rest. Pilks and Redmond next game with Murphy on the bench. Snoddy needs a rocket up his arse. Far too easy for him to walk into the side at the moment.

It''s another sign off his poor management skills too, keeps happening, Pilks did really well on Saturday but gets left out. Happened to Martin after the Utd match and various times to Ryan Bennett

Since some daft person wrote a silly letter in the EDP everyone has been on Snodgrass back.

We were playing well with Snodgrass in the team but then silly Chris decided he wanted West Ham to win.

The rest is History.

[quote user="simmo_2"]Since some daft person wrote a silly letter in the EDP everyone has been on Snodgrass back.

We were playing well with Snodgrass in the team but then silly Chris decided he wanted West Ham to win.

The rest is History.[/quote]

We were playing well tonight in spite of him, not because of him. His form has been mediocre at best for most of the season and the number of set pieces - particularly corners - wasted by him has been particularly galling.

I am not saying he is the sole reason for our position -there are plenty of names on that list - but he seems to lead a charmed life on the team sheet and I can''t see that his performances deserve it.

Snodgrass will get us relegated but some won''t see it that way as he a passionate sort and he dominates the play down that right side. He clearly believes in his ability but doesn''t believe in his team mates enough. Like others have said, what was wrong with Saturday''s starting eleven. Snodgrass unbalances us with his attempts to go too far with the ball. With his ability he needs to get to the bye line and get the ball to the tap in zone for Hooper to do his stuff, or cut it back for our attacking mid fielders to hit the target. He does have the ability to place a nice shot into net from the right hand side...but not every time

[quote user="Matt Juler"]He''s very good at putting his right arm up in the air at every corner, regardless of where it ends up in the box.[/quote]

Yep - however poor the delivery or whether the ball is floated across or whipped in (no further than the first man of course), the arm goes up beforehand like some kind of set-piece affliction or tourettes.

Is this some sort of code? Has it ever meant anything or is it supposed to worry the opposition into thinking something has been practised on the training ground?

I agree that Snodgrass unbalances the team and the result tonight was all too predictable. CH is taking us down I''m afraid, unless a miracle happens and he wakes the F up and drops Snoddy and Jonas to the bench (and not just because they are injured) and he plays Pilkington and Redmond as against Man City.

SNODGRASS aka THE MAN WHO CANT BEAT THE FIRST MAN WEATHER ITS A FREE KICK, CORNER or EVEN A BLOODY PENALTY!! He''s championship AT BEST!! Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial OR they they think he''s as good as HE HIMSELF thinks he is. However he''s Championship Average at very very very best!! One of the 3-4 worst players for us this season without doubt

The penalty he stole from RVW could be very costly indeed. As much so as his awful form this season.

That free kick against West Ham has been by far the best it has got for him.

The right wing just doesn''t work for him, but I''d be interested to see him playing behind the front player(s). He could possibly be creative there. Although probably not more so than Wes.

"Yes, it''s easy to look for scapegoats but that''s not the point of this thread"

Looks like he is being scapegoated to me. He has been inconsistent and mostly poor this season, but short memories hey? Second in our player of the season award last season, 6 assists and 6 goals.

He hasn''t become a poor player overnight, he is suffering a lack of confidence like most of our team.

I don''t like this sudden scapegoating of players. Snodgrass. Our last goal was scored by Snodgrass, the goal before that was assisted by Snodgrass.

Pilkington was heavily criticised for a performance fairly recently.

We need a new manager, the players are good enough when they have belief and guidance. Blaming the players is counter productive, the buck stops at Hughton and a new manager needs to try and get the best out of the players that we have. Including Snodgrass.

simmo_2 wrote the following post at 2014-02-12 3:14 AM:

Since some daft person wrote a silly letter in the EDP everyone has been on Snodgrass back.

The rest is History.

Could you just explain to me when we actually played well with Snodgrass in the team. As a season ticket holder I seem to have missed that?

It''s no coincidence that we gave one of our best performances on the season (man city) without Snoddy in the side. People like to lavish praise on a tactical masterstroke by Hughton but the team he picked was forced upon him through injuries. With a full squad he would have played Jonas and Snoddy on the wings, no doubt.

When Snodgrass first arrive at the club he was a breath of fresh air and offered us something we did not already have. He , overall, performed very well in a team that desperately underachieved and struggled last season. He gave genuine hope that, with the allegedly higher quality players brought in last summer, he could push on and become a top, top player.But, he has been a shadow of his former self for pretty much all of this season. apart from the odd good performance he''s just run into trouble, constantly lost the ball, and the quality of delivery has been abysmal. His corners have been atrocious. Quite why this has happened is as much a mystery as Hughton''s insistence on picking him every week.

Spot on, I really despair, I don''t know how this clown can walk straight back into the team. What sort of message does it send to the players when a player can put in a very good performance (Pilks) and then get dropped for the next game. Snoddy is a good championship player, not prem quality.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"] Snoddy is a good championship player, not prem quality.[/quote]

To that list you can add;MartinBraddersTurnerGarridoElmanderBecchioHoolahanand, frankly on the basis of what we''ve seen, V Wolfswinkel.Oh ,and a Championship standard manager/coaches, while you are about it.

He can be quite skillful, but what he does do, is slow the pace down on the right. Redmond attacks at speed and that is always difficult for a defender. Redmond should have stayed on last week as West Ham were constantly aware of his pace.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="NCFCgardener"] Snoddy is a good championship player, not prem quality.[/quote]

To that list you can add;

Martin
Bradders
Turner
Garrido
Elmander
Becchio
Hoolahan
and, frankly on the basis of what we''ve seen, V Wolfswinkel.

Oh ,and a Championship standard manager/coaches, while you are about it.

[/quote]

Don''t know how you can include Becchio on that list - he''s hardly had a chance to prove himself in the Prem has he?

I don''t think the OP was actually scapegoating Snodgrass, just asking if he is playing well enough to automatically regain he''s place after the performance of Saturday?

I thought the team on Saturday was well thought out and have been and still am behind Ch to turn this around. But and it''s a big but after last night I think the team on Saturday was forced on him and now he hasn''t realised it. he probably thinks with Snodgrass in the side we could of got a win?

Wake up and smell the coffee Chris it''s got to be Redmo

nd and Pilks or Bennett (when fit)

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="NCFCgardener"] Snoddy is a good championship player, not prem quality.[/quote]

To that list you can add;MartinBraddersTurnerGarridoElmanderBecchioHoolahanand, frankly on the basis of what we''ve seen, V Wolfswinkel.Oh ,and a Championship standard manager/coaches, while you are about it.[/quote]

Don''t know how you can include Becchio on that list - he''s hardly had a chance to prove himself in the Prem has he?

[/quote]Well, Your Lordship, if young Luciano cannot even get into a team who''ve scored  just6 goals in 13 games, we sort of have to take it as read, don''t we ??

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

To that list you can add;

Martin
Bradders
Turner
Garrido
Elmander
Becchio
Hoolahan
and, frankly on the basis of what we''ve seen, V Wolfswinkel.

Oh ,and a Championship standard manager/coaches, while you are about it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, Your Lordship, if young Luciano cannot even get into a team who''ve scored  just6 goals in 13 games, we sort of have to take it as read, don''t we ??
[/quote]

Alternatively, it could be a bad management decision!!!

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]I don''t think the OP was actually scapegoating Snodgrass, just asking if he is playing well enough to automatically regain he''s place after the performance of Saturday?

I thought the team on Saturday was well thought out and have been and still am behind Ch to turn this around. But and it''s a big but after last night I think the team on Saturday was forced on him and now he hasn''t realised it. he probably thinks with Snodgrass in the side we could of got a win?

Wake up and smell the coffee Chris it''s got to be Redmo

nd and Pilks or Bennett (when fit)[/quote]

I think that''s an important difference. The OP wasn''t scapegoating Snoddy as you say. But until the subs were made the team, Snoddy included, had created loads of chances which were wasted. (Also Snoddy included). That performance vindicated the selection although I can also see why Pilks was unlucky not to start. I have debated the subs to death. I wouldn''t have made any but understand those that were made. However if we''d have taken the chances we created Snoddy would have had a shout for MOM. He really did not play poorly.

In terms of goal scoring, there''s probably little to choose between Snodgrass and Bennett, but in terms of worrying defenders, pace and getting to the base line and pulling back Redmond is streets ahead. Yet he gets played on the wrong wing and is substituted. He has the beating of most left backs, and if we wish to score from quick breaks he is the man we want.

So I was amazed when I saw the team and realised that Hughton would doggedly put Bennett on the wrong wing. Last year, when Snodgrass was at least effective from dead-ball situations I could understand why the right wing is his possession, but this year....?

I think that Snodgrass was the wrong one to remain on the pitch, and that we were more dangerous on Saturday with Pilks and Redmond playing on their better wings.

I don''t get it either, and I assume that the reason for taking off Redmond was either due to tiredness or injury on Redmond''s part, of a suicide wish on Hughton''s.

In the interests of fairness - Snodgrass was well worth his place today - irrespective of his superbly-taken goal.

He chased and harried all afternoon and showed Redmond how to finish.

There was no throwing himself to the floor and no haranguing the ref - he just got on with it.

A much better relationship with the Snakepit too.

He was on form and like the Snodgrass we first nicked from Leeds!