Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Connor Wickham

From WACCOE......."Wow what a catch. It instantly makes your mood 10x better about Leeds

United. How did you feel this morning? Now there''s a buzz again. Wickham

and McCormack is seriously deadly. It doesn''t get any better. I''d go as

far as saying it''s better than a lot of the lower Premier League clubs

strike force."Anyone here seriously believe they''d be better than RVW and Hooper?

Is this a trick question? The only one I can comment on is Wickham, who does look a big talent and a player that will ultimately hold down a EPL first eleven place, but as we all know that''s easier said then done.  

no, he''s already played in the prem. When i''ve seen him he looks a bit clueless...perhaps he didn''t understand di canio or something i dunno?

I hate to say this, but when he was a binner, Wickham looked like he could be the real deal. But his career seems to have hit the buffers. Young, I know, but not really progressing, is he?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]would also like to add that sunderland paid £8m for him.[/quote][:D]

Wickham is the typical English youngster who shows a bit of talent at a very young ages.
Built up way way above his actual current ability and most likely potential ability. 
He is still 20 (21 end of next month) and could very well still be a PL striker for years to come. But he''s gone nowhere at Sunderland. Appears to have had a decent loan spell at Wednesday in the Championship. I think they would have really benefited from him being there for a whole season. Because he''s never really looked any good at Sunderland, yet this is his third season there and he''s only been out on a couple short loans.
But Wickahm and McCormack definitely not a strike force to fear in the PL.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Is this a trick question? The only one I can comment on is Wickham, who does look a big talent and a player that will ultimately hold down a EPL first eleven place, but as we all know that''s easier said then done.  [/quote]Of course it''s not a trick question Mark. The Leeds fan states "it''s better than a lot of the lower Premier League clubs

strike force." and although our strikers have struggled for goals this season I would still prefer them to the new Leeds pair.Which lower Premier League clubs do you think they could improve?

I guess that''s the way with strikers - when they''re young they can show a lot of potential in the lower leagues, some of them can hack it at the top level and some can''t.

Wickham looked like he had potential when Sunderland bought him, but he''s failed to get anywhere there, and let''s face it they could have done with a striker last year.  Too young to write him off yet, but defo absurd to say he''s a Prem quality striker right now.

Mind you, I can remember when Chris Martin started with us and there were rumours Man U wanted to poach him.

Prem clubs often come in for a lot of stick for buying in strikers from France, Holland, Spain S America, Africa etc, but the situation  with people like Wickham and indeed Martin shows why the temptation is there. Clubs can invest a lot of money on ''home grown talent'' but quite often the people concerned flatter to deceive.With the stakes a high as they are in the EPL, it really does make more sense to buy the almost finished article from the French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch leagues and convert them to English thinking. It does not always work (people will cite RvW as proof), but in the main, it seems to have pretty good track record.

Connor Wickham at the moment isn''t anywhere near as good as Chris Martin, who is now proving himself at championship level,

Martin was often criticised on here for being arrogant & lazy, which to a degree was correct back then, but now he''s maturing into a very capable striker & is proving a former manager correct in his assessment of Martin as one of the best finishers he''d ever seen, Wickham is at a similar age to Martin when he left us & if he can settle at a club & get a decent run of games he may realise his potential, but for the time being out of him & McCormack I''d prefer the latter, he could well be on a par with Hooper, as for Wickham or RVW I''d stick with RVW for 2 reasons.

1. He''s a yella & I want him to succeed

2. Wickham will always be scum!

Probably the best strike force would be Hooper/ McCormack

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Poor mans Sam Vokes.[/quote]

It''s a good point, if we''re talking about promising young strikers - isn''t Vokes at Burnley now ?  Another player who might make it to the Prem but then again might not.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]depends who earns less money to sit in the reserves?[/quote]Poor blooming Becchio. This hasn''t been a great time in his career. Mind you, he''d do himself a favour if he scored in a development game, like he didn''t earlier this week.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="mrs miggins"]depends who earns less money to sit in the reserves?[/quote]Poor blooming Becchio. This hasn''t been a great time in his career. Mind you, he''d do himself a favour if he scored in a development game, like he didn''t earlier this week.[/quote]I was at the game, he certainly didn''t shine.

[quote user="morty"]Okay, how about this.Would you have him here instead of Becchio?[/quote]

Haha, you''ve got to take Wickham over Becchio every day of the week. To be fair, if we get over the fact he''s ex scum I''d take Wickham here anyways, he''d offer us something different to RVW and Hooper, i''m not saying he''d be starting ahead of those two but he''d be an option. If the price was right (i.e. nowhere near the £8m Sunderland paid for him!) I''d be happy to see him in a Norwich shirt.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]would also like to add that sunderland paid £8m for him.[/quote]

Yes who would pay 8million + for a striker who can''t score in the premiership in his first season, I agree to write Wickham off, so what''s your opinion on RVW?

For me Wickham is young, has potential and when he fits a club he will be another Chris Martin, no bad player and for me better than Becchio or Elmander as an option.

He always threatens to do the outstanding, but never seems to succeed. It may be that in the Championship he will have found his natural level.

Of course, he''s reasonably young still, so he could improve!

[quote user="morty"]Okay, how about this.

Would you have him here instead of Becchio?
[/quote]

That''s a bit different - the question being could he make it into a Prem squad as 4th choice striker (as opposed to being better than many lower Prem teams strikers as seems to be the idea at Leeds).

Maybe you''d take him over Becchio simply based on his age meaning he''s got more potential to develop.  That''s all.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[quote user="morty"]Okay, how about this.Would you have him here instead of Becchio?[/quote]

That''s a bit different - the question being could he make it into a Prem squad as 4th choice striker (as opposed to being better than many lower Prem teams strikers as seems to be the idea at Leeds).

Maybe you''d take him over Becchio simply based on his age meaning he''s got more potential to develop.  That''s all.

[/quote]

The more I think about it actually, the more I like the idea.It would really annoy Ippo fans too.

[quote user="lappinitup"]From WACCOE.......

Now there''s a buzz again. Wickham and McCormack is seriously deadly.

[/quote]

Connor Wickham and seriously deadly do not belong in the same sentence.

Did anybody see him come on as a sub in the FA cup vs Southampton recently? He''d clearly had a spray tan. The guy looked like an Oompa Loompa.