Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Just our luck

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Nicholas Anelka banned for 5 games for the quenelle gesture...when do we play them? Answer in six games time[/quote]

Think sky have just said he misses our match as well

This Anelka matter is a very interesting case and I wouldn''t be at all surprised if he appeals it as far as possible considering that the FA has now effectively branded him a racist/anti semite.The only extremism I''ve picked up when looking at the incident emanates from the professional victims who are claiming that because the quenelle is effectively the opposite of and ultimately different in every respect from a Nazi salute then it is clearly a racist salute in homage to the Nazis. That really is the fundamental reasoning behind their anti semitic claim......[:S]I think Anelkas best hope lies with somebody in possession of half an ounce of common sense handling the appeal if not if I were him I''d be in the Courts in no time.

[quote user=" Zak Van Burger"]This Anelka matter is a very interesting case and I wouldn''t be at all surprised if he appeals it as far as possible considering that the FA has now effectively branded him a racist/anti semite.The only extremism I''ve picked up when looking at the incident emanates from the professional victims who are claiming that because the quenelle is effectively the opposite of and ultimately different in every respect from a Nazi salute then it is clearly a racist salute in homage to the Nazis. That really is the fundamental reasoning behind their anti semitic claim......[:S]I think Anelkas best hope lies with somebody in possession of half an ounce of common sense handling the appeal if not if I were him I''d be in the Courts in no time. [/quote]

And bearing in mind he is not the sort to roll over and take it, so think he will appeal and that will probably be the end of his season as a new date will have to be arranged for another hearing, or am I wrong saying that

I believe if he appeals then he would be able to play until the appeal is finalised.I think if he genuinely didn''t mean anything anti semitic by this gesture then his honour binds him to appealing this and through the Courts if neccesary or he will forever be known as a Nazi/Anti Semite. I can see this happening and don''t believe for a minute that a Court will interpret this gesture in the circumstances if at all as anti semitic.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]They haven''t branded him anti-semitic, they made that very clear.[/quote]They can say what they like in a statement but if the "Man on The Clapham Omnibus......."

[quote user=" Zak Van Burger"][quote user="Mr Angry"]They haven''t branded him anti-semitic, they made that very clear.[/quote]They can say what they like in a statement but if the "Man on The Clapham Omnibus......."[/quote]They categorically said it broke the anti-racism rules, but didn''t believe it was meant to be anti-semitic. Don''t think he''s got much chance of a successful appeal at that rate.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user=" Zak Van Burger"][quote user="Mr Angry"]They haven''t branded him anti-semitic, they made that very clear.[/quote]They can say what they like in a statement but if the "Man on The Clapham Omnibus......."[/quote]They categorically said it broke the anti-racism rules, but didn''t believe it was meant to be anti-semitic. Don''t think he''s got much chance of a successful appeal at that rate.[/quote]So they say it''s offensive to Jewish people in general but it''s not specifically offensive to anyone who is Jewish. M''kay. Any other races been lobbying the French Parliament about the gesture? Nope thought not!So if a word or action is deemed offensive towards a particular race of people and somebody is publicly "found guilty" of using that word or committing that action would the man on the clapham omnibus accept the caveat "Although we''ve found mr Smith guilty of using racist behaviour and punished him for it we don''t think he acted in a racist manner" or is he inclined to think as NWC did above that Mr Smith is a bit of a "nazi". As the gesture is not deemed offensive in law or by any formal constitutional entity in any country then the FA might have been better served with a warning or reprimand rather than the punishment issued. Anelka is now in the eyes of many a racist, a Nazi etc. etc. this isn''t going to go away easily (imo obviously, he might swallow it personally I doubt it)

Rightly punished. He knew exactly what he was doing and what the reaction would be. Not necessarily racist but certainly idiotic.

Come on Zak. He said he did it in support of a French "comedian" who is clearly anti-Semitic and a racist. No further questions your honour.

Clearly anti semetic and a racist? Well yes and no, or actually no then yes. He originally worked with a Jewish comedian partner for a number of years and actively campaigned against the French National Front which he perceived to be racist. It was only when the Jewish/Zionist lobby took issue with a sketch of his and hounded him through the Courts on privately pursued racial hatred actions that he turned on them. Now I don''t know about you but I''ve never been privately prosecuted by either an Englishman, an irishman or a Scotsman or even a Welshman  but I guess they''re more tolerant of humour. It must have been a bad Jewish joke and they were very vindictive in their pursuit.  Even more of a turning point was his entertaining a "Holocaust denier" with a slot on his show, you just can''t do that in Countries with a strong lobby so the baiting he received as a result of that subsequently led to his indictment and conviction on eight anti-semitic charges.  Yes in a country which doesn''t seem to have any qualms about imposing racist, anti-islamic legislation it is a massive problem if you even suggest that we''ve been told a few fibs about what really went on in WWII, to deny that 6m died in the holocaust is deemed intrinsically anti semetic despite the wealth of evidence proving such claims to be grossly exagerrated. To deny is also behaviour likely to incite racial hatred because many people of many races truly believe the numbers we were fed for the first fifty years, some still even believe that the most famous holocaust photo of all was not taken at the scene of a train crash in Dresden Ohio US in 1912. [8-)]  Some years back the Auschwitz-Birkenau memorial plaque was removed, the four million figure was revised** and replaced with that of 1.5million an enormous discrepancy of 2,500,000 alleged deaths. I''m not talking "internet evidence" this was done by the memorial museum itself. The new one is currently displayed at the camp museum.  Thing is you aren''t meant to know that the old plaque read 4 million because then the sums don''t add up and that''s deemed anti-semitic in France, Germany and a host of other countries. Simply being able to prove you are speaking the truth does not neccesarily detract from the incitement to racial hatred aspect of the charge. Still I''m sure Anelka will benefit from being "re-educated" as part of his punishment. Wont be long at this rate before they can activate a probe remotely..[:S] They''ll get me too through my ip address no doubt.....[;)]** The original 4 million figure was obtained from Rudolph Hoss at Nuremberg trial under questioning there never was any documentation or other providence to this claim sought or found.

Nice we''ve got this far into such a delicate topic without it collapsing, it''s quite a concern to me that the FA has taken this one on, there are gaping holes and assumptions in the entire process which ultimately must have relied upon pressure from the lobbyists to even get started. Whether you can see it or not this is political intervention disguised as racial equality being applied to the FA and I don''t think that''s what the FA is there for. Really how many people knew what a Quenelle gesture was before Anelka did it not many outside France I''d wager, who was offended really offended by the gesture and who saw it as another means to continue a standing feud with Dieudonne who has since now been banned from UK and more. The FA has acted like the bloke who can''t be racist because he''s got black friends on this one.

He did something that could be deemed racist without realising quite how bad it was, stupid but I believe he isn''t actually racist. He will do his punishment and deal with it. I seem to remember him happily hugging benayoun and other jews he played with. Typical press blowing things out of proportion even if was a bit careless. What next? Nolan banned for his chicken celebration?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]He did something that could be deemed racist without realising quite how bad it was, stupid but I believe he isn''t actually racist. He will do his punishment and deal with it. I seem to remember him happily hugging benayoun and other jews he played with. Typical press blowing things out of proportion even if was a bit careless. What next? Nolan banned for his chicken celebration?[/quote]Actually, I''ve met a lot of chickens that have been outraged by his blatant stereotyping of them.