Sign in to follow this  
Rotherhithe Canary

Lawro

Aston Villa v Norwich (16:30 GMT)

Norwich manager Chris Hughton got an excellent win

against Tottenham last week, after coming under a bit of pressure in the

build-up.

That has put the Canaries level on points with Villa so this is another big relegation six-pointer.

I see Villa getting the win on Sunday, though. Norwich

have only scored eight goals in 13 away games this season and they do

not offer enough of a threat.

Villa''s home form has been poor but I think their manager Paul Lambert will get it right against his old club.

Lawro''s prediction:

2-0

Tim''s prediction:

Norwich badly need to win this one because they have a hard run-in.

They have probably heard about that so they will be trying really hard.

0-1

Well looking at it objectively it is hard to argue for us. Few goals away, Lambert having the hoodoo over us and they need the win just as much is, to a neutral, suggestive of a home win. But we all know that the team seems to be more settled, hopefully with more confidence and maybe a corner (nearly!) turned so we can be more hopeful. But I reckon Lawro gets it wrong more often than right with us so that is a good omen also!

I wonder about him too. Not sure what bit you''re referring to, but you can''t really slate him for picking a Villa win - based on how we''ve done recently against them. If it''s for his final line though: "They have probably heard about that so they will be trying really hard" , then I I agree!... Do you think they might''ve probably maybe heard about the fixtures, do you really Mark? What a bell.

[quote user="MancCanary"]I wonder about him too. Not sure what bit you''re referring to, but you can''t really slate him for picking a Villa win - based on how we''ve done recently against them. If it''s for his final line though: "They have probably heard about that so they will be trying really hard" , then I I agree!... Do you think they might''ve probably maybe heard about the fixtures, do you really Mark? What a bell.[/quote]Erm that line was said by comedian Tim key (Simon in Alpha Papa)

[quote user=" Zak Van Burger"][quote user="MancCanary"]I wonder about him too. Not sure what bit you''re referring to, but you can''t really slate him for picking a Villa win - based on how we''ve done recently against them. If it''s for his final line though: "They have probably heard about that so they will be trying really hard" , then I I agree!... Do you think they might''ve probably maybe heard about the fixtures, do you really Mark? What a bell.[/quote]

Erm that line was said by comedian Tim key (Simon in Alpha Papa)
[/quote] and is quite amusing.

As for predicting Sunday, I think a neutral would say that Villa have struggled to win at home while City haven''t scored many but have a tight defence, so a draw would be a pretty good bet for this one.

I expect a game similar to West Ham... if we can take our chances this time, we''ll win, but a draw wouldn''t be a surprise.  I just hope it''s not another game where we have plenty of chances but fail to take them and Villa sneak it near the end.

[quote user="Ginja"]Why?[/quote]Basically if Lawro predicts us to lose, a thread pops up having a go. When he picks us to win there is nothing. Given that he has predicted us this season to have more points and be in a better position than we actually are, it is a fairly strange criticism (Although it seems fans from every team have a go for the sake of it)That said, the whole column is a bit of a joke. His predictions usually follow a template, and his guests can be awful. But then any idiot can predict fixtures, he just happens to be there to be shot down.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Ginja"]Why?[/quote]Basically if Lawro predicts us to lose, a thread pops up having a go. When he picks us to win there is nothing. Given that he has predicted us this season to have more points and be in a better position than we actually are, it is a fairly strange criticism (Although it seems fans from every team have a go for the sake of it)That said, the whole column is a bit of a joke. His predictions usually follow a template, and his guests can be awful. But then any idiot can predict fixtures, he just happens to be there to be shot down.[/quote]

With regard to Lawro''s predictions, I like it when he predicts that we will lose. It''s when he predicts that we''ll win that I start worrying.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Ginja"]Why?[/quote]Basically if Lawro predicts us to lose, a thread pops up having a go. When he picks us to win there is nothing. Given that he has predicted us this season to have more points and be in a better position than we actually are, it is a fairly strange criticism (Although it seems fans from every team have a go for the sake of it)That said, the whole column is a bit of a joke. His predictions usually follow a template, and his guests can be awful. But then any idiot can predict fixtures, he just happens to be there to be shot down.[/quote]
He''s done pretty well predicting our fortunes, in fact he''s slightly overestimated us, currently has us on 30pts. Football is very unpredictable and even the greatest footballing mind would struggle to get it right. Some games are more predictable than others, but the Villa game is a perfect example of anything could happen IMO.
The column is a bit pointless, but then we keep reading it all the same...

Hahah, **** me, that''ll teach me for skim-reading and just assuming it was all Lawro''s bullshit!

I love Tim Key. Saw his show in london last year and met him afterwards, lovely chap. Likes a bath.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Ginja"]Why?[/quote]Basically if Lawro predicts us to lose, a thread pops up having a go. When he picks us to win there is nothing. Given that he has predicted us this season to have more points and be in a better position than we actually are, it is a fairly strange criticism (Although it seems fans from every team have a go for the sake of it)That said, the whole column is a bit of a joke. His predictions usually follow a template, and his guests can be awful. But then any idiot can predict fixtures, he just happens to be there to be shot down.[/quote]
He''s done pretty well predicting our fortunes, in fact he''s slightly overestimated us, currently has us on 30pts. Football is very unpredictable and even the greatest footballing mind would struggle to get it right. Some games are more predictable than others, but the Villa game is a perfect example of anything could happen IMO.
The column is a bit pointless, but then we keep reading it all the same...
[/quote]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3078378/ShowPost.aspxWhich is the general consensus of this thread.Predictions, be them from Mark Lawrenson, a celeb guest, or a poster on an internet forum, are generally useless. Yet, some people like to discuss them, while other do not. Personally, I find them not that interesting.One thing that does slightly anoy me, is the previous mentioned slating of Lawrenson every time he has the audacity to predict we might not win. While my opinions of Lawrenson are not that high, his paid to have an opinion. Having a different opinion to the one you hold does not make him an idiot, regardless as to if he''s proven right or wrong.

One thing about Lawro''s predictions is he always goes for conservative, small time score-lines. Look at the list at the top of the prediction page - it''s always 1-1, 2-1, or 2-0. Generally like this every week, I''ve never seen him predict a 5-0 thrashing.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]One thing about Lawro''s predictions is he always goes for conservative, small time score-lines. Look at the list at the top of the prediction page - it''s always 1-1, 2-1, or 2-0. Generally like this every week, I''ve never seen him predict a 5-0 thrashing.[/quote]
I guess he''s playing the odds, on average most games don''t get more than 3 goals, he''s more likely to be right predicting 1-1, 2-1, or 2-0.

Lawro was slated during our first season back in the Prem because he''d obviously done no research about us and knew nothing about the City team, he simply assumed because we were a newly promoted team we wouldn''t do very well. As a result he consistently predicted us to do worse than we actually did that season and generally showed complete ignorance about the team.

Last season was marginally better, presumably because he''d seen us play in the Prem the year before, but he still generally predicted us to do a bit worse than we did (although not as bad as the year before).

This season the bias has swung a bit in our favour as we''ve been in the Prem long enough for him to know about us, so most of his predictions have been pretty sensible.  Personally I disagree with him and think a draw is more likely than a Villa win Sunday, but you can see his point of view.

What annoys me is that he''s basically lazy, for someone paid (well) to comment on football.  He just seems to rely on watching games in the Prem, just like fans do.  It''s shocking that he doesn''t do any background research on the newly promoted teams etc.

He predicted us to lose 2-0 last week but he won 1-0

He has predicted us to lose 2-0 this week, 1-0 win to us anyone ;)

I dont think Lawro gets our results horribly wrong anymore.The stats are in Lawro''s favour for this weekend anyway; Lambert''s Villa record against us is DWWW, and we cannot score for shilt on the road.The only thing he hasnt mentioned is that Holt will be playing and that might a bit of fire in our lad''s bellies to finally get one over on PL.