Sign in to follow this  
yoda

Leroy Fer

[quote user="GJP"]

I think Fer has been doing ok lately even if maybe he''s not quite hit the heights he did earlier in the season as often.

We''re so thin on the ground there it''d be a bit of a concern to lose him for a lengthy amount of time.

Losing your better players is always going to hurt you (as shown with Tettey and Howson) and Fer is certainly one of our better players.

[/quote]I think with Johnson and Tettey back in harness, we can manage with either Howson or Hoolahan playing in front of them.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"] I think with Johnson and Tettey back in harness, we can manage with either Howson or Hoolahan playing in front of them. It''s a shame though as I was looking forward to seeing Howson, Tettey and Fer together in midfield again.[/quote]
I agree to an extent. I never would want our best/better first teasers out for weeks. I just thought injury aside he needed a rest. I don''t think we could drop Jonno right now, as he is showing a high level of consistency when we really need it.
Before though I would have happily seen Fer, Tettey and Howson. I agree Hoolahan or Howson can play the role we need with BJ and Tettey as part of the 3. We''ll be fine.

Fer isn''t irreplaceable but he''ll be sorely missed.

Since being "rested" he has come back more focused and has been seen to much better effect in an attacking sense, certainly his support play was excellent against Spurs. That said, that''s been facilitated by the return of Tettey, who, it would appear, has been a huge loss this season.

Hopefully Howson is fit to play his part though there would be a certain enjoyment elicited if Hoolahan were to play an integral part in a Villa downfall following their January pursuit.

He''s one of our best 3 midfielders for sure. The Fer, Howson and Tettey combo is our best 3, but undoubtedly, Johnson is in great form, but Fer is a superb player, and if fit would be a definite starter for me against Villa, and ongoing.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]He''s one of our best 3 midfielders for sure. The Fer, Howson and Tettey combo is our best 3, but undoubtedly, Johnson is in great form, but Fer is a superb player, and if fit would be a definite starter for me against Villa, and ongoing.[/quote]

So where is this on the official site, No mention of it anywhere not even on Sky or Even Talksport. I''m not calling people Liar''s but I have looked and can''t see anything about it anywhere,

Don''t people realise that Leroy has been playing a different game since Howson has been out? Earlier in the season the midfield three of Fer, Tettey, Howson was the most effective. That was with Fer and Tettey playing deeper and Howson pushing on. Since Howson has been out Fer has pushed further forward with Johnson coming in with Tettey, and that position is always going to be difficult to shine in with the tactical set up of the team.Once more, for those who want to question his ability, ... the Dutch do not pick players who can''t play the game.He is a current Dutch international, a quality player and, if he is injured, will be missed.

I would disagree almost completely.

Fer is the only player we currently have able to play an attacking midfield role whilst keeping us looking defensively solid.

Howson is a very capable box to box midfielder but shown no real ability to play this role (is it still zero assists for the season ?).

Wes and Elmander are the only other two players to have been tried in this role this season neither really looking like they offer enough either attacking or defending.

I really hope this is not true as I struggle to think of alternative personnel in our squad to make this system work.

Perhaps Snodgrass could do a job and bring Gutierrez back in.

Alfie54,

You said "pull the other one! "

I say, "He already has"

In this case I think rumours are correct.

I never know understand the fascination of ''assists'' - a stat that isn''t reliable. For example, Howson squares the ball perfectly 10 times resulting in 4 goals = 4 assists, Hoolahan creates 30 chances and only 1 of those chances hit''s the back of the net because the striker is having an off day.

So despite Hoolahan creating a million more chances, it will be Howson''s record that looks far superior - and all because that particular striker just happened to find the net more frequently from Howson''s passes - which may have been actually worse than Hoolahan''s... Anyway, you get the point, it''s a meaningless stat.

Hmm? Any offical confirmation yet like the EDP, NCFC offy site or Sky, Pink Un.

There''s a lot of assuming going on here.

Fer will be missed;   he offers good passing and creativity (only Hooper has been involved in more goals this season) with a willingness to put himself about,  deceptively more than he is getting credit for on here;    he has had more successful tackles per game (and in total) than any other regular player - not just midfielder - and while he has committed more fouls it just adds shows the amount of unappreciated work he gets through.

He covers the ground,   but clearly not in a way that looks like whippet on a park.

Wes & Howson are options,  but neither offer the full package we get from Fer.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

Hmm? Any offical confirmation yet like the EDP, NCFC offy site or Sky, Pink Un.

There''s a lot of assuming going on here.

[/quote]

True - we have the pre match press conference today so may find out more then

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Wes & Howson are options,  but neither offer the full package we get from Fer.

[/quote]

Sort of disagree with that.

Before injury Howson''s passing stats and number of interceptions were far superior to that of Fer.

I think both players offer a lot but I don''t think Fer is any more of a "full" package.

No official announcement as yet, so i''m hoping it''s good news and that he isn''t injured, irresepctive of what people think to his current form, he "will/would" be a major part of our run in.

[quote user="morty"]If he is injured, I really don''t see how people can say he won''t be missed.

Weird.
[/quote]

Yup, if not just for the quality Fer brings on his own what would happen if Howson suffered a setback or Tettey got a knock?

The Fer/Howson/Tettey midfield combo was hailed as the strong point of our season not so long back and now we could be set to miss another one of those players for a while.

[quote user="GJP"]

The Fer/Howson/Tettey midfield combo was hailed as the strong point of our season not so long back and now we could be set to miss another one of those players for a while.

[/quote]
On the back of three games. One of which Tettey made a huge mistake leading to Chelsea scoring. And one of the others was Arsenal.
Johnson/Tettey/Fer did just as well against City, West Ham and Spurs.
Fer missing will be a big blow. I think any combination of Tettey, Johnson, Fer and Howson can work well for us. Just as we get one back, we don''t want one injured again. And without checking i''d expect Tettey has spent more time on the sidelines than in the team. Very very important he doesn''t get injured now.

Devastating news if true. I thought Fer was very strong in the advanced midfield role on Sunday, and having him and Howson fit at the same time would give the striker much more support than a formation involving BJ and Tettey sitting deep with one AM.

BJ has been performing quite well of late, and I''d expect him and Tettey to start on Sunday, with Howson to start in Fer''s place. Hoolahan could replace Howson around the hour mark if he doesn''t have the match fitness for 90 minutes. I can''t see CH starting Hooper and Wolf away from home, so hopefully we can dominate the midfield battle and provide enough supply to whoever starts up front.

Any player who starts most weeks will be missed, but IMO he will be missed less than BJ or Tettey given the other options in the squad.

Hopefully he will be back soon but in the meantime we have other players who can play in the AMC role and its a great opportunity for them.

there it is for definite :/ good job howson is ok :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGYNR2LF8H4

I''ve got a horrible feeling we won''t see Fer again this season - all our injuries seem to take much longer to clear up than Hughton let''s on - we''ve heard it before this season - ''so and so is close we''ll have to monitor the situation'' and then it''s another four weeks until they are back in the squad.

RVW''s toe injury and Howson''s back are prime examples of this - never really let on they were that serious - just kept dragging on

Vanwink wrote the following post at 27/02/2014 7:55 PM:

splutcho wrote the following post at 27/02/2014 7:38 PM:

I don''t see why someone would make it up, especially when if they are lying, they''ll be made to look a fool in 3 days time?

People make stuff up all the time.

Looks like.you called it right splutcho !