Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

The Messiah Part 3

Had the Messiah not have been forced out of the club by the poor management skills of Mcnasty and Bowchump where do you think we would be in the league. I look at Southampton who are on a similar climb up the leagues I don''t think it would be unrealistic to think the Messiah would have us safely in the top 6 by now pushing for a champions league place. Instead we are in a relegation dog fight due to hapless hughton.

Oh what might have been.

Hughton out. Messiah back

You''ve now gone from mildy entertaing through amusing and now into just plain record stuck boring. There are only so many times you can tell the same joke before it becomes monotonous. Think up a new tactic before you lose your audience completly. I will give you credit though for being the most persistent binner we''ve had on here since blue mike unless of course you are blue mike reincarnated?

Good to see you writing ''have'' and not ''of''. You should be proud of yourself. But you still need to stop with the text talk. So, just a silver star today.

Had Lambert not left the club where do you think we would be? Probably about the same place as we are now. He hasn''t done a great deal for the fortunes of Villa in relation to their position in the league - this term or last. Or, if you listen to Villa fans or read Villa forums the style of football they play.Paul Lambert helped Norwich on the fantastic journey from Division 3 to the Premiership with a style of football that worked for that period in those divisions. At the same time he built a reputation for himself as a manager that could transform a group of players/club. I fully appreciate him for that.Perhaps during that time he also built an over-confident self perception of his own abilities as a manager. I don''t know what happened inside CR that caused the breakdown but I doubt the fault all lay with one side or the other exclusively. Did he think he was better than he is?What I have seen over the last season and a half is that he appears to be struggling to achieve any sort of success at Villa Park either in terms of football style or results on the pitch and any relationship with fans off it. We may not be where we want to be as a club yet but I would rather have our set up than that at Villa Park and would suggest that we will finish above Villa this season.If you really can''t let this obsession with Lambert go, may I suggest that you arrange a meeting for all those that agree with you and start a campaign for his return. I''ll even check the availability of the back room at the Fat Cat & Canary - that should be big enough.

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]Had the Messiah not have been forced out of the club by the poor management skills of Mcnasty and Bowchump where do you think we would be in the league. I look at Southampton who are on a similar climb up the leagues I don''t think it would be unrealistic to think the Messiah would have us safely in the top 6 by now pushing for a champions league place. Instead we are in a relegation dog fight due to hapless hughton.

Oh what might have been.

Hughton out. Messiah back[/quote]Southampton have spent a lot of money on their squad. Their average player value is around £4.7m in contrast to our average player value of £2.9m. Their closest rival in terms of money is Newcastle and, strangely enough, they''re pretty close to each other in the table. £2.9m per player buys you between 17th and 15th in the league as it stands. Aston Villa''s average player value is £3.3m so a little bit ahead of us, but not by much and we''re on the same points in the table.

Thorpe end twerp wrote: "Had the Messiah not have been forced out of the club by the poor management skills of Mcnasty and Bowchump where do you think we would be in the league. I look at Southampton who are on a similar climb up the leagues I don''t think it would be unrealistic to think the Messiah would have us safely in the top 6 by now pushing for a champions league place. Instead we are in a relegation dog fight due to hapless hughton.

Oh what might have been.

Hughton out. Messiah back "

A few points to digest.

A) We are on the same points as Villa at the moment - if we are in a relegation dog fight, so are they.

B) Southampton are not a similar club to us - they have been able to spend more on players since before they were promoted to the premier league. Look at the price they have paid for the likes of Ramirez and compare it to ours.

C) My prediction about where we would be right now under Lambert? In and around the same place. He would have sold Holt sooner, Hoolahan too.

D) He left of his own choice, not because he was forced out. He refused to sign a longer term contract and in the end that was why the board were happy for him to leave - he was not committed to the cause. As with players, that eventually means you have to go.

E) He''s not the Messiah. His Villa side have become quite predictable this season which is why they are running into strife - and they are turning into a one player team. Without Benteke or with him out of form they look very ordinary to say the least.

F) Who the fluff cares? Live in the past if you want but I suggest you do it in a bunker like the Japanese chap did at the end of WW2.

It perplexes me why people try and compare the Messiahs record at villa with our current record.

The Messiah took over a club struggling both on and off the pitch and had done for a number of years. We were on a different trajectory when he left. He is slowly Turning round villa round whilst hapless is doing the opposite.

Thorpe end wally wrote: "It perplexes me why people try and compare the Messiahs record at villa with our current record."

Because that is what you have done.

Thorpe end wally wrote: "The Messiah took over a club struggling both on and off the pitch and had done for a number of years. We were on a different trajectory when he left. He is slowly Turning round villa round whilst hapless is doing the opposite."

Hmmm ok.

According to Wikipedia Lambert spent in the region of £20million on players in the summer prior to the 2012-13 season. Letting go of three senior players in the process including James Collins for £2.5million. All of which saw them a place and three points better off than the season before at 15th in the table.

In comparison Hughton spent less than £10million bringing players in and saw 6 senior players leave.

We then promptly finished one place higher in the league albeit three points worse off.

So on that season alone, both managers coming into new clubs - Norwich facing that well spoken about ''second season syndrome'' with a new manager. Although perceivably struggling Villa are a well established premier league side with experienced top flight players in their midst.

Lambert outspends Hughton almost two to one, but finishes bellow him despite having a striker that scored almost half as many goals as the Norwich squad managed.

I think it is fair to say that despite some peoples inflated opinions when it comes down to it I think Lambert has had marginally more funds to spend on prices and wages and has improved the Villa team about as much as Hughton has the Norwich team. Which is the better manager?

I would say they are about on a par. Hughton for me currently slightly ahead due to inheriting a worse squad of players than Lambert did at Villa.

We can cut stats any which way we want to prove our case. If we go back 3 seasons when the messiah was in charge and compare his achievements to hapless them they bare no comparison.

The simple fact and the only fact that counts is that the Messiah is one of the greatest managers in the clubs history and hapless is down their with the Rodent and Gunny

Game, set and match.

If you think Hughton is as bad as Roeder then you have such poor judgement you can''t possibly be relied upon for a decent, reasoned opinion.

You can look at stats in any which way you like - but when they don''t suggest much of a difference it''s hard to take any bias on them is it?

Thorpe is always comparing Hughton to Roeder. Is why I cannot digest anything he writes and his opinion doesn''t matter because of. Serious loss of memory there to believe they are both equal.

[quote user="Thorny"]Thorpe is always comparing Hughton to Roeder. Is why I cannot digest anything he writes and his opinion doesn''t matter because of. Serious loss of memory there to believe they are both equal.[/quote]

When our history is written in a few years time he will be in the same category of success as the rodent mark my words

Do I prefer Lambert''s v''s Hughton''s football at Norwich - absolutely yes. Was Lambert more successful? No, at least in the premier league the record shows, it''s pretty much the same. Would I have Lambert back - um no thanks. He upped and left us. I would like to see Hughton open up our game a bit more, and there seems to be some evidence of that these past weeks.

Thorpe, you conclude that you really are not a City fan if you think that. Your history of our club over a short 10 year period is laughable.

Roeder wrecked us and took us to an all time low. The club learnt from that big time and took us to where we are now. We''ve had far worse managers to drag Hughton to that level.

I hope we beat Villa tomorrow for the sake of our club but also would love to see you eat humble pie.