Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Can we hit that magic 40 points in the next 7?

Sun Mar 2 Aston Villa A  

Sat Mar 8 Stoke City H  

Sat Mar 15 Southampton A  

Sat Mar 22 Sunderland H  

Sat Mar 29 Swansea City A  

Sat Apr 5 West Brom H  

Sat Apr 12 Fulham A

Can we get that magical 40 points with 12 points from the next 7?

If the team can come off the back of this weekend’s result with a similar performance then I would think we can beat Villa, it will be tough but I think it can be done, after that Stoke at home and Sunderland would be nice to win.

I would love to go to Fulham knowing a win would surely send them down, would be nice to return the favour of 2005!

So can it be done, Southampton away is the only real fixture which we could be forgiven for thinking we might not get something out of! The rest surely with the players having confidence and a renewed energy & passion it can be done!

[quote user="Indy"]

Sun Mar 2 Aston Villa A  

Sat Mar 8 Stoke City H  

Sat Mar 15 Southampton A  

Sat Mar 22 Sunderland H  

Sat Mar 29 Swansea City A  

Sat Apr 5 West Brom H  

Sat Apr 12 Fulham A

If the team can come off the back of this weekend’s result with a similar performance then I would think we can beat Villa, it will be tough but I think it can be done, after that Stoke at home and Sunderland would be nice to win.

I would love to go to Fulham knowing a win would surely send them down, would be nice to return the favour of 2005!

So can it be done, Southampton away is the only real fixture which we could be forgiven for thinking we might not get something out of! The rest surely with the players having confidence and a renewed energy & passion it can be done!

[/quote]

Yes its possible IF our attitude is spot on Mr Indy include Hughton''s in that.

I think Sunday''s victory will have given the players a massive boost and I expect them to go from strength to strength now.Players coming into good form, players coming back from injury, pressure relieved by climbing the table a bit, its all positive!

I know I''ve said it before, but that performance, on the back of good performances in our previous few games, will help us kick on this season.  Several reasons for that.  Hughton was bang on with team selection and tactics and subs.  RVW made a good contribution. We won against the odds. Every team member played well.  The confidence gained from that game by players and management and will help us through the rest of the season.   Lets not forget that it was a game we really needed to win - and we did.  Of course 40 points is possible in the next seven games, but we need to take one game at a time.  The only game I''m looking at is the next one - a win on Sunday would be delicious for many reasons.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I know I''ve said it before, but that performance, on the back of good performances in our previous few games, will help us kick on this season.  Several reasons for that.  Hughton was bang on with team selection and tactics and subs.  RVW made a good contribution. We won against the odds. Every team member played well.  The confidence gained from that game by players and management and will help us through the rest of the season.   Lets not forget that it was a game we really needed to win - and we did.  Of course 40 points is possible in the next seven games, but we need to take one game at a time.  The only game I''m looking at is the next one - a win on Sunday would be delicious for many reasons.

[/quote]

Do they not say ''revenge is dish best served cold''

Trouble is we have done this before, we still have major major issues and until they are vanished we will stay around relegation zone, and they are

1. Inability to put together string of results, every time we get a good result we follow it with a poor one. I know we are playing better but we need points now however they are gained.

2. Inability to score , especially more than one goal, just heaps huge pressure on the defence not to concede.

The big big bonus for me is to see Tettey back and Howson on the bench , the former is a brilliant defensive midfield and the latter attacking midfield. Get them firing on all cylinders and we will be safe!

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]I know I''ve said it before, but that performance, on the back of good performances in our previous few games, will help us kick on this season.  Several reasons for that.  Hughton was bang on with team selection and tactics and subs.  RVW made a good contribution. We won against the odds. Every team member played well.  The confidence gained from that game by players and management and will help us through the rest of the season.   Lets not forget that it was a game we really needed to win - and we did.  Of course 40 points is possible in the next seven games, but we need to take one game at a time.  The only game I''m looking at is the next one - a win on Sunday would be delicious for many reasons.[/quote]Do they not say ''revenge is dish best served cold''[/quote]

Yes and I hope Villa get their just desserts - cold jelly and ice cream, topped with iced wolf''s winklee and frozen hoops. 

Partially agree CJ. It''s one major problem though as your first point is a consequence of the second. The goal scoring problem is not fixed, but the underlying issue of not creating chances is much better than it was. Keep creating chances and the goals will come.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Partially agree CJ. It''s one major problem though as your first point is a consequence of the second. The goal scoring problem is not fixed, but the underlying issue of not creating chances is much better than it was. Keep creating chances and the goals will come.[/quote]The goal scoring is key, but more so actually scoring first. It immediately lifts some pressure off the players and allows them to play with a bit more freedom.

I''m glad that one home win is enough to give you all optimism. Unfortunately none of our other home wins are followed by the discovery of some away form. All four of our home wins have actually been followed by a defeat and bad performance in the next away fixture.

Norwich 1-0 Southampton

Tottenham 2-0 Norwich

Norwich 3-1 West Ham

Newcastle 2-1 Norwich

Norwich 1-0 Crystal Palace

Liverpool 5-1 Norwich

Norwich 1-0 Hull

Norwich 0-0 Newcastle

Cardiff 2-1 Norwich

True Juge although winning against Spurs is a much bigger win than any of those.

The Villa game is always an awkward one, worth remembering we came back to draw last season and they were hanging on desperately for a point at the end.  I wonder if they still have that left fullback that was sent off for two bookable challenges on Elliott Bennett ?  If so I would love to see Redmond put on that flank to have a go at him !

And what''s the significance of getting to 40 points after our next 7 games ?  Having got 4 points from our home games vs Man City and Spurs, conceding no goals, why should we expect nothing from the last 4 games ?

It would be great to reach 40 points before we play the last 4, but not the end of the world if we don''t.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I''m glad that one home win is enough to give you all optimism. Unfortunately none of our other home wins are followed by the discovery of some away form. All four of our home wins have actually been followed by a defeat and bad performance in the next away fixture. Norwich 1-0 Southampton Tottenham 2-0 Norwich Norwich 3-1 West Ham Newcastle 2-1 Norwich Norwich 1-0 Crystal Palace Liverpool 5-1 Norwich Norwich 1-0 Hull Norwich 0-0 Newcastle Cardiff 2-1 Norwich[/quote]

We didn''t play badly at Cardiff.

[quote user="CJ"]Trouble is we have done this before, we still have major major issues and until they are vanished we will stay around relegation zone, and they are

1. Inability to put together string of results, every time we get a good result we follow it with a poor one. I know we are playing better but we need points now however they are gained.

2. Inability to score , especially more than one goal, just heaps huge pressure on the defence not to concede.

The big big bonus for me is to see Tettey back and Howson on the bench , the former is a brilliant defensive midfield and the latter attacking midfield. Get them firing on all cylinders and we will be safe![/quote]This, sadly. [:(]That is, apart from Tettey being "brilliant." Respect to him for what he does, he''s made a big difference since he''s been back, but he''s got some way to go before he''s the full package.

Personally I take optimism from the fact that it''s the first time we''ve beaten a top five team this season and the fact that we played really well. Whatever you say, we''re looking more fluid and creative, just got to take more of the chances the team is creating now. We played really well for almost all the game at West Ham, just not putting away a whole host of chances and one fluff tore it, then we had to desperately chase at the end and came unstuck again because of it.

The fact we haven''t had two wins on the trot this season doesn''t mean we can''t or won''t.

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]Unlikely, but totally irrelevant re-survival.There will be a lot of clubs that won''t get 40 points.And probably at least 3 that won''t get 36 points.

morty wrote the following post at 25/02/2014 10:33 AM:

I think Sunday''s victory will have given the players a massive boost and I expect them to go from strength to strength now.

Players coming into good form, players coming back from injury, pressure relieved by climbing the table a bit, its all positive!

Every reason to be optimistic, a result on Sunday which reflected our performances over the last few games. You only have to hear the post match interviews and look at the tweets of the players to see what it means to them and what a confidence boost it has given them. It''s amazing to me that the players have continued to be positive despite all the negativity that has been around the place. It shows what a good squad we have and how they all dig in together.

Who knows if we will get 40 points or even more, what I do know is we will continue to pick up points that nobody expected us to. I feel very confident going into the Villa game, I am sure the players feel the same way to.

I think we can get 12 points from those games. The big difference is not only have we Tettey back and Howson fit but we also have Yobo playing superbly and Gutierrez a great addition and hopefully fit soon.

Sure it would be great if we did, but in this league with all the twists and turns, I really think that it is a big stretch to be honest and will be very happy with that number by the end of the season as I wouldnt be surprised if dont end up getting a few points out of those dreaded last four games.

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]How many wins have we had in the past 12 games. You are barking mad if u think we will get 12 points from those games. Hughton out. Messiah back[/quote]

I think you''ll find we''ve got 11 points from the last 12 games, so 12 from the next 12 is not so outlandish.  But I appreciate you probably don''t pay that much attention to City results, although unlike your team we do feature in sports bulletins and on MOTD so you probably hear more about City than I do about 1p5wich.  How''s your bid to get in the playoffs going ? 

I''ve missed your sign off though.  I like the irony of a poster suggesting we should get Lambert back having just accused someone else of being "barking mad".

"Well, thats a shock..."

Can say the same. Every time we manage a win (this time it was what, 1 win in 12 or something?) we get the same delusion idiots coming out predicting an unbeaten run and Hughton finding some sort of magic formula.