Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Holt interview - likes hughton, hates mcnally

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/aston-villa/9189995/weekend-warm-up-grant-holt

Good little interview, Holts views on lambert, hughton and Mcnally who he clearly doesn''t like.

Thanks for posting the link.

My guess is that David McNally will be delighted, he isnt paid to be popular with everyone and has to be firm and make difficult decisions unlike the players who simply get paid and play the game they love........thing is, then when things get a little tough they want to move on and it''s always the "right time" of course.

Regardless of anything Grant Holt will for me, be one of just two or three players who I hold above legend status.....OTBC a win vs Villa now please.   

Whilst I love what Holty did for us I think his timing re the comments re McNally were at best in appropriate with McNally being in mourning for his Dad

He''s not going to like mcNally is he? Holt was told he was two old for a new contract it might not have been the most popular view but in hindsight there might have been a fair bit of truth in that opinion. holt on his day I''m sure is still capable of having a great game and I hope it''s not against us, is he still capable of doing it over a season I don''t personally think so and with his fitness issues he''s a player that needs to also play all the time to keep the weight off. However we did need to replace him properly which we haven''t done.

Play Mcnally up front on Sunday and we''ll have no problems.

Everything David McNally has ever done has been for the benefit of this football club. He''s worked tirelessly to supply this club with the tools it required to get us where we are. He''s made plenty of enemies in that capacity and I don''t suspect he cares one iota. If holt is mad because McNally didn''t bend over backwards to give him an over-lucrative deal to a +30 year old striker or lambert is mad because he wouldn''t supply him huge funds at a club that McNally wanted to completely clear of debt that had crippled it then I''m sure he''s sorry but what he did he did for the good of the club.

Lamberts management was essential, Holts goals where vital but removing the debt from this club is the most vital achievement in recent times.

If they make a statue, make one of McNally

Like most of us I''ve all the respect in the world for our Chief Executive, quite obviously we saw a side to him last week that made him far more human.

Of course the loss of a family member transcends mere football, that much is a given, that said he is undoubtedly an entirely ruthless individual the likes of which our Chairman thought we very much needed.

Reading between the lines of what Super G is saying is, regrettably, a bitter pill to swallow. The loss of Lambert, his own departure, Cashmere Chris being really rather affable and yet, and yet.

I will be there tomorrow afternoon, like all of us hoping we finally stick one on Villa but it will be very much like seeing a couple of much loved old flames out with another bloke.

Nice Guy Cashmere Chris is that slightly plain, reliable type that makes your tea and you never have to worry about straying, not so lambert and his new accomplice.

Its a tricky one but i really do hope Holt does us one more big favour and gives away a penalty and gets himself sent off

This interview just confirms my beliefs:

McNally is a top trouble-shooter but he has the soft skills of Genghis Khan. The Club lacks someone to balance him out a bit. These poor man-management skills cost us over the Grant Holt transfer request saga and McNally lost face when his new manager kept Holt on. They then lead to the appointment of a manager who didn''t suit the successful squad we had or the ethos nurtured by the Club style wise through a ''we''ll get the man we want'' approach which lead us to paying silly money for an average manager.

At the time I went with it because I feared McNally''s ridiculous Mexican stand off would mean we dallied over a replacement i.e. cut off our nose to spite our face.

When a manager or player gets their head turned you don''t go all personal and vindictive, it happens, you turn it to your best advantage and not go after the pyrrhic victory.

Holt identified what ''togetherness'' can do and this has gone out of the window under Hughton with the worst example being the attempted humiliation of Wes Hoolahan.

Holt was as fair as he could be towards Norwich bearing in mind he now gets paid by Villa. I thought he showed us great respect and he deserves nothing less back.

Lambert as manager gave me the best three seasons watching Norwich. Like McNally you don''t have to like him and both will accept the response their characters attract.

Holt stands out above the cat-fight but his unhappiness under Hughton did lead him to let himself go physically in a manner unbecoming to a professional sportsman, that said, Holt is the kind of player who keeps fit playing games and he will play week in and week out. Hughton was never going to do that and so never got the best out of him as he is not getting the best out of Wes.

I will always find it unacceptable that players like Holt get treated just like ordinary players. I felt the same about Malky and Iwan. These players are worthy of much more, they are talismanic and you need to keep and look after them as United did with the likes of Scholes and Giggs, anything else is just short sighted but, in the final analysis we stayed up and have every chance of doing so again. Over time, we might get the spirit back as we showed we can still find when we beat Spurs.

Holt has done nothing since leaving to prove McNally wrong over the "too old for three years" row.

This is still only the second year of the three, and he has managed to flop badly for Wigan in the Championship and has yet to do anything for Villa.

Last season we saw the start of his decline, he''d lost a yard of pace and wasn''t as effective as he was prior. Hughton''s tactics got the blame. They may have been partially to blame, but he has played for Coyle, Rosler and Lambert since and is yet to rediscover any sort of form.

Players like Hughton because he everybodies mate, that is one management style, but whether it is what players like that need is another question.

Holt has been in the press three or four times this season talking about his past, because it makes a decent story, his rise from the bottom to score 25 Premier League goals.

That doesn''t say anything about whether or not he is still effective at this level, so far he hasn''t proved that he is, all it really says is that he has a decent book in him which we can all buy for £14.99 and get signed at the Castle Mall club shop in a few years.

Is he interviewing himself, is the interviewer also called grant holt or is this a typo by sky?

RH, an interesting response to the OP, I am curious on a couple of things.....

"Holt identified what ''togetherness'' can do and this has gone out of the window under Hughton" - so, I am presuming you have some knowledge of how things are behind the scenes since Holty left then? Sure, it was well known about his efforts to get the boys together and also under Hughton, but just how do you what "togetherness" there is at the club now.....for all we know they maybe even more together since Holty departed....maybe some of the squad didnt like him......we, that''s all of us, just dont know! 

" with the worst example being the attempted humiliation of Wes Hoolahan" - on this one, I would like to know exactly how Wes has been humilated? ...this is the player that insulted our club, his employer we are talking about is it?  Who despite that, is still part of the squad, drawing his salary as though nothing happened....yeah that''s a humiliation....NOT! 

After his ''performance'' or basically throwing his toys out the pram, I honestly don''t know how anyone can say Holt came out of it publicly looking ''on top'' - the same could be said for Hoolahan. They decided to make things public - you always get egg on your face when you do that. Although I quite like Mcnally and has been at the heart of our rise to the prem, it wasn''t the best idea to give the sort of interview he did. In the interview linked here, even one of the questions was based around Mcnally and how he ''said he has been looking for another manager''. Although this isn''t true, why put yourself in this position?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]This interview just confirms my beliefs:

McNally is a top trouble-shooter but he has the soft skills of Genghis Khan. The

Club lacks someone to balance him out a bit. These poor man-management skills

cost us over the Grant Holt transfer request saga and McNally lost face when his

new manager kept Holt on. They then lead to the appointment of a manager who

didn''t suit the successful squad we had or the ethos nurtured by the Club style

wise through a ''we''ll get the man we want'' approach which lead us to paying

silly money for an average manager. At the time I went with it because I feared

McNally''s ridiculous Mexican stand off would mean we dallied over a replacement

i.e. cut off our nose to spite our face. When a manager or player gets their

head turned you don''t go all personal and vindictive, it happens, you turn it to

your best advantage and not go after the pyrrhic victory. Holt identified what

''togetherness'' can do and this has gone out of the window under Hughton with the

worst example being the attempted humiliation of Wes Hoolahan. Holt was

as fair as he could be towards Norwich bearing in mind he now gets paid by

Villa. I thought he showed us great respect and he deserves nothing less

back
. Lambert as manager gave me the best three seasons watching

Norwich. Like McNally you don''t have to like him and both will accept the

response their characters attract. Holt stands out above the cat-fight but his

unhappiness under Hughton did lead him to let himself go physically in a manner

unbecoming to a professional sportsman, that said, Holt is the kind of player

who keeps fit playing games and he will play week in and week out. Hughton was

never going to do that and so never got the best out of him as he is not getting

the best out of Wes. I will always find it unacceptable that players like Holt

get treated just like ordinary players. I felt the same about Malky and Iwan.

These players are worthy of much more, they are talismanic and you need to keep

and look after them as United did with the likes of Scholes and Giggs, anything

else is just short sighted but, in the final analysis we stayed up and have

every chance of doing so again. Over time, we might get the spirit back as we

showed we can still find when we beat Spurs.[/quote]

Holty has always had my respect Rudolph. He seems to have earned yours since he left...

Humiliation of Hoolahan?

I fail to see how he was in any way humiliated. He clearly wanted to leave, and foolishly IMO, chose to come out publicly against the club when they wouldn''t let home leave.

The club, as far as I''m aware, always stated that he wasn''t leaving, and that was the end of it. Any rumours that we may have dealt with west brom but not villa were from what I could see, just rumours.

If he felt humiliated he did it to himself IMO.

McNally has been fantastic since he joined Norwich. He hasn''t made many mistakes, but I think his recent comments were one of the few he''s made.

Holt''s comments on McNally were fair enough, regardless of current circumstances. Holt is known for his forthright nature, and McNally I''m sure has skin thick enough to not worry about not being liked by one ex player. You can''t be liked by everyone, and I''m sure a man in his position is more aware of that than most. Water off a ducks back, I''d imagine.

McNally is paid to do what is best for Norwich City...not Grant Holt, Wes, Lambert etc..In that respect he has been very succesful indeed so far.

[quote user="whoareyou"]McNally is paid to do what is best for Norwich City...not Grant Holt, Wes, Lambert etc..In that respect he has been very succesful indeed so far.

[/quote]Agreed, and Mr Holt''s beef is he probably tried to play contractual hardball with McNally, and lost.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]McNally is paid to do what is best for Norwich City...not Grant Holt, Wes, Lambert etc..In that respect he has been very succesful indeed so far.

[/quote]Agreed, and Mr Holt''s beef is he probably tried to play contractual hardball with McNally, and lost.[/quote]

like when he wanted a three year contract? McNally sure told Holt eh...

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]McNally is paid to do what is best for Norwich City...not Grant Holt, Wes, Lambert etc..In that respect he has been very succesful indeed so far.

[/quote]Agreed, and Mr Holt''s beef is he probably tried to play contractual hardball with McNally, and lost.[/quote]

like when he wanted a three year contract? McNally sure told Holt eh...[/quote]Who is Reading''s chairman?Whats he like?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]McNally is paid to do what is best for Norwich City...not Grant Holt, Wes, Lambert etc..In that respect he has been very succesful indeed so far.

like when he wanted a three year contract? McNally sure told Holt eh...[/quote]Who is Reading''s chairman?Whats he like?[/quote]

You have the mental age of a 4 year old.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="whoareyou"]McNally is paid to do what is best for Norwich City...not Grant Holt, Wes, Lambert etc..In that respect he has been very succesful indeed so far.

like when he wanted a three year contract? McNally sure told Holt eh...[/quote]Who is Reading''s chairman?Whats he like?[/quote]

You have the mental age of a 4 year old.[/quote][:)]

Holt is a true Club legend, Nigel.

I loved him as a player and I felt it was right to criticise his conduct and fitness after Lambert left.

Unlike all too many on here, not you, I don''t like to turn on players when they leave the club. I look at their contribution and provided they don''t go on to show us disrespect I like to respect them.

The best club I have ever seen for welcoming back former players is Spurs. Crook, Bowen and Polsten used to get applauded and Hughton is lauded.

Norwich fans just turn on ex players and I wonder what current players think of it.

"Norwich fans just turn on ex players and I wonder what current players think of it"

Pretty sure Dion got a heroes welcome recently, and Ken Brown against Spurs. Can remember Bellamy getting applauded at Carrow Road a few years back.

So not sure this is true at all.