Sign in to follow this  
JayNCFC

Tactics Or Personnel

Today, after another disgraceful performance and result I sat and pondered... This is, to an ever increasing degree, Hughton''s team. Of those that started today, Ruddy, Martin, Hoolahan, Johnson, and Snodgrass were here before Hughton, the rest of the XI on the pitch today, Hughton has bought in. It seems to me Hughton has a way he wants to play and whilst I appreciate not all signings work out, Hughton has bought players in to execute his plan. So what is wrong? Are the tactics wrong and this is costing us dearly?Are the players incapable of playing consistently at this level?Ultimately, this is Hughton''s doing in both respects, he chooses the players we bring in and the tactics we employ, I just fear that when the manager goes, which I hope he does soon, have we got enough about us to turn it around?

Snoddy was CH''s signing too. Second one after Butterfield.

Even after days like today I still have faith in our players. They are capable of playing really well at this level (see Spurs, Man City etc) but that level can''t be coaxed out of them regularly. A good manager makes the team greater than the sum of its parts. A poor manager gets poor results with good players.

The fact that strikers like RvW, Hooper, Becchio and Elmander who have succeeded at every other club they played for have all struggled to find chances, let alone put them away should tell you all you need to know. Do you honestly think all of them would have struggled to get into games with a different manager in charge? At least one or two would have caught on by now. The tactics don''t allow them to do so. It''s making them appear lesser players than they are. That''s all down to Hughton''s inability to instill a creative attacking philosophy. I don''t think it''s a stubborn unwillingness any more. He and his coaches just don''t know how to do it.

Personnel let him down today, IMHo. But he doesn''t seem to inspire players into giving their all it has to be said.

Always thought with us, Lambert''s apparent recruitment of other teams captains was inspired ..but kinda obvious. When the going gets tough, and all that.

And we are still yet to use a substitute who either scores or assists with a goal all season. so, yeah, tactics are the issue. Hughts has all the tools but cant get them to work consistently.

Time for a change before time runs out....

It certainly would have to be a massive coincidence that four players, three of whom have been quite prolific, who have scored goals previously suddenly lose their form and can no longer find either chances or goals.

The only common denominator is the tactics employed and the manager and coaches are responsible for those.

Then surely, in saying all this the manager removal is the easy fix... Clearly our board don''t think so..

I think it''s a combination of not seeing another available manager that would definitely improve things, and CH winning "must win" games. They''ve frozen at the tipping point each time.

Until we hit 40 points they are all must win, now I don''t think we will hit that number (I am not saying we will go down, I don''t think a lot of teams will get that number) - today was utter capitulation from a team that lacks confidence... It was pointed out earlier that Hughton cannot motivate and I must admit the more I think on it, the more I agree.

I think you''re right. I think it''s also noticeable that in previous times we had players who were more self-motivating than the current group. Holt, Nelson, Ward, Whitbread, Drury, Tierney. Much more fiery, self assured and determined characters. There''s a lot of ours who look to others to provide a spark. Again, that''s down to PL''s method of acquiring leaders though.

Forget this debate cos it isnt one, the manager carries the can and thats it, thats what he''s paid for. We have had a few good results, but we have had to many hammerings under hughton and we have no chance of staying up under him. The players were shot today and directionless, get rid or we go down.

Simply too many poor performances today. Seb, Nathan (worst I''ve seen him), BJ, even Olsson. Tettey tried to hard, was mortified & subdued after his card, Pilks didn''t do much when he came on.

Wes paradoxically was the most skillful player on the pitch. That was a beautifully worked goal, & his touch allowed him to change direction & create opportunities. Until they scored.

I''d say there''s no character in the team - except there is; they can cope with pressure, but it''s the flamboyant brilliance of a player like Benteke (or Suarez!!! aaagghhh!!!) that undoes them.

We are certainly lacking a Holtesque characterful leader on the pitch. Bassong is no captain for a day like today.