Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Is Bassong any good?

Im just not sure anymore. Last season he was incredible. Without a doubt in my mind the best centre back iv ever seen play for us. Reliable, consistent and you were totally assured he was in control. This season he has several mistakes in him every game, doesnt seem to be paying attention, poor positioning, not commanding and easily muscled off the ball, even by Nathan Dyer. Last season consistently great. This season consistently poor. So is he a great player having a bad season, or a poor player who had a blinder last season? I just dont get how bassong can be so bad this season. Is it the captaincy? Surely not?

Yes he is good and he''s had a better season than he gets credit for - but not as good as last season.

No.He is terrible and that is why he has been relegated so often.Not good last season no matter what people keep saying, he is a player who does 5 good things some games and at least one terrible one every game.Bassong has loads of ability and no concentration span- pointless in a center back.

he has been one of the worst players this season for me. once we go behind he loses concentration.

no commitment for the 2nd goal, didnt seem to want to win the ball.

anyone know when turner is back? been our best center back this year

I don''t think there is anything to be gained from beating a man when he''s down. We will need Bassong to produce his best form in the remaining fixtures if we are to have any chance of staying up.Bassong had a bad game today, and while he''s been consistently below his own high standards of last season, he is still capable of producing decent performances as our draw against Man City and win against Spurs showed.  Maybe the captaincy is an unwelcome distraction for a player who does seem to lose focus at times.Today Yobo was weak for the equaliser that changed the game. Olsson got caught in no-man''s land for their third.  So we can''t blame Bassong alone.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]I rate him as nothing more than a squad player now. We need a serious clear out in the summer.[/quote]

Don''t think we need a clear out, I agree that we need to get better players than bassong in. but the majority of our team is solid, just not performing consistently enough.

A serious clear out? As for Bassong, I agree he hasnt been on the top of his game consistently like last season, but hasnt been as bad as some are making out......however he did have a mare today.....just like happens to many CB''s at this level other than the very top four or five at the big clubs. For what our club can afford, Bassong is actually of a good quality.............I really dont understand what some are expecting our club to buy, thats our club who only this season managed to get some financial stability.......and were signing players like Nelson only a few seasons ago....

he wasnt that good in the first placeplayers that get relegated a lot dont normally get too many top flight chances

"Today Yobo was weak for the equaliser that changed the game."

Have to disagree with that. He couldn''t have got any tighter without conceding a foul in the box.

That was the only way Benteke could have scored, so what do you think Yobo should have done differently?

As for Bassong, he''s been poor for a lot of the season and was again today; and making, and keeping him, captain was, and is, a mistake.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]"Today Yobo was weak for the equaliser that changed the game."

Have to disagree with that. He couldn''t have got any tighter without conceding a foul in the box.

That was the only way Benteke could have scored, so what do you think Yobo should have done differently?

As for Bassong, he''s been poor for a lot of the season and was again today; and making, and keeping him, captain was, and is, a mistake.[/quote]

Agree sometimes as with the first goal you just have to hold your hands up and say great goal. I think physically we got dominated today through out the team and once Tettey got booked and had to be careful about putting himself about we lost out totally.

Bassong was very poor today. Sometimes he''s an expensive liability.He was at fault for their 2nd goal and even scored the fourth one for them. I''d drop him for Bennett next game.

[quote user="ncfcben"][quote user="SeattleCanary"]I rate him as nothing more than a squad player now. We need a serious clear out in the summer.[/quote]

Don''t think we need a clear out, I agree that we need to get better players than bassong in. but the majority of our team is solid, just not performing consistently enough.[/quote]
Who would you say is either good enough, or not had their confidence destroyed by the last 2 seasons? There aren''t many for me.
We need a winning mentality again, and I liked the old philosophy of buying captains, we seriously lack leadership and heroes on the pitch.

Bassong, on his day, is a great centre back. However he does have a cock up in him at all times, which was his reputation at Spurs as well. And it''s very noticeable that when the chips are down, he''s one of the most likely to go to pieces and have a nightmare. That''s unacceptable for a captain.

It does feel that he and Snodgrass in particular are "Hughton''s boys" and as such they both pick up extra flak when Hughton''s having another disaster.

I''m not sure that lack of confidence should mean they leave in the summer, a lucky break of a couple of wins and confidence can come back quickly. we do lack a leader at times, players seem to shy away from that when we aren''t winning.

in my opinion the midfield is good enough, just a matter on consistency at times. our strikers need a lucky break with a goal to gain some confidence. a confident hooper would of scored that chance to today.

Our strikers need more than a chance to drop. All 4 consistently struggle to get a touch or even get a decent chance. Hooper''s not going to get one and go on a five game scoring streak any more than the others are. We don''t create enough chances, especially decent clear cut ones. The strikers aren''t missing loads of easy opportunities. They just aren''t getting them. Hughton doesn''t know how to implement an attacking gameplan.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]Our strikers need more than a chance to drop. All 4 consistently struggle to get a touch or even get a decent chance. Hooper''s not going to get one and go on a five game scoring streak any more than the others are. We don''t create enough chances, especially decent clear cut ones. The strikers aren''t missing loads of easy opportunities. They just aren''t getting them. Hughton doesn''t know how to implement an attacking gameplan.[/quote]
This is spot on. We need the ''right'' manager whoever he may be, and for that person to bring in some of his own positive signings, which will show an upgrade on some of those poor performers over this season.

the last two games hooper has started, in both games he has been one on one with the keeper and not scored, we have created that chance for him

I agree that we don''t create enough chances in games, but you''d expect your striker to score when through on goal.

Ask any Spurs fan how gutted they were to lose him and you''ll hear all about his shortcomings. Aside from the Bentecke header and the o.g., we had another wild swipe which went for a corner, could have gone anywhere. As someone else commented in a post, you cannot have a centre-back who guarantees at least one howler each game.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Ask any Spurs fan how gutted they were to lose him and you''ll hear all about his shortcomings. Aside from the Bentecke header and the o.g., we had another wild swipe which went for a corner, could have gone anywhere. As someone else commented in a post, you cannot have a centre-back who guarantees at least one howler each game.[/quote]Depends how much you pay really, doesn''t it?

Last season Bassong was "head and shoulders" above all our other defenders - or that''s what many were saying. People said we needed to buy someone as good as him - as if Turner wasn''t good enough.

Now, after not such a great season, Bassong needs to be gone.

But I think we''ll struggle to get anyone better. Him and Turner remain the best two at the club.