Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

8 points from 10 games

Sunday yet another wasted couple of hours listening to commentary and the resultant canary call rant. We are a total soft touch away from home and i

really do not know where or indeed our next away point is coming from.

That said we still only need imo another 8 points so it is still very much in our hands 2 or 3 wins or 2 wins and a couple of draws. I think we will get there by the skin of our teeth and it may even come to getting a point or more against Arsenal last game of the season

There is now more wrong with our squad than right with it which justifies a change of face at the end of the season and a change in philosophy. The Hughton interview post the Villa game was the most defeatist and depressing of the lot, how can he inspire anyone?

It is obvious that he has bought 2 expensive strikers who are not being played to their strengths. Both are box players who need to work off a big man and neither can play together. Away from home the ball bounces back as we cannot hold it up like Holt used to do even if he was not scoring. Bassong is a serious weak link, he nearly cost us against Spurs a couple of times and was woeful yesterday. Redmond has talent but is not being given the most basic of coaching as what to do with his talent.

These are the most depressing of times and the style of football and tactics are horrendous , BUT we can and hopefully will still survive. We have probably left it too late to change and hopefully we can squeeze out the odd win that both changes the mood and adds to points. That said we cannot afford to lose the any of Stoke, Sunderland or WBA at home. The pressure is on again for the Stoke game and i fancy it will be a nervous draw. Lose and the pressure on the whole club to oust Houghton will be so great he would find it hard to , but what the alternative is is a total lottery

I watched the game and up until that wonder goal I thought there was only going to be one winner. We were playing well with good passing etc. the tide turned and the loss of Fer and Hoolahan in a forward role meant the Villa juggernaut was unstoppable, not for the first time. What saddens me is that we have been here before with Villa and learned little.

H

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Sunday yet another wasted couple of hours listening to commentary and the resultant canary call rant. We are a total soft touch away from home and i

really do not know where or indeed our next away point is coming from.

That said we still only need imo another 8 points so it is still very much in our hands 2 or 3 wins or 2 wins and a couple of draws. I think we will get there by the skin of our teeth and it may even come to getting a point or more against Arsenal last game of the season

There is now more wrong with our squad than right with it which justifies a change of face at the end of the season and a change in philosophy. The Hughton interview post the Villa game was the most defeatist and depressing of the lot, how can he inspire anyone?

It is obvious that he has bought 2 expensive strikers who are not being played to their strengths. Both are box players who need to work off a big man and neither can play together. Away from home the ball bounces back as we cannot hold it up like Holt used to do even if he was not scoring. Bassong is a serious weak link, he nearly cost us against Spurs a couple of times and was woeful yesterday. Redmond has talent but is not being given the most basic of coaching as what to do with his talent.

These are the most depressing of times and the style of football and tactics are horrendous , BUT we can and hopefully will still survive. We have probably left it too late to change and hopefully we can squeeze out the odd win that both changes the mood and adds to points. That said we cannot afford to lose the any of Stoke, Sunderland or WBA at home. The pressure is on again for the Stoke game and i fancy it will be a nervous draw. Lose and the pressure on the whole club to oust Houghton will be so great he would find it hard to , but what the alternative is is a total lottery[/quote]I''d agree with most of that YC, save and except that the 3 home games you refer to are not ones that ''we must not lose''. Sorry, but they are ones we ''must win''. Simple as. Hughton and his cronies have backed us into a corner over this, and the margin for error is imo pretty much non-existant now. Like you I''m saying ''hopefully'' we can survive, but that''s all it is, I''m afraid. I have absolutely no confidence that we can. If I was a betting man right now, my belief is that we WILL go down.

Jumping ahead to the final 4 games, if we''re still needing points at that stage then I think a lot hinges on the title race and the quest for European football. It might be we''re just looking for the odd point or two come then having already picked up say 6 or 7 from the games mentioned above.Liverpool will probably still be gunning for a top 3 finish to avoid Champions League qualifying (along with the rest of the top 4) when we play them at home, and we''d be lucky to get anything.Man United away is a hard one to call, at present being 8 points off a Europa League qualifying round place (with a game in hand on Tottenham). If that''s out of reach by the time we play them, then I''d fancy our chances of getting at least a point. With a player exodus on the cards I think they''d be dejected similar to how Man City were last year.Whether Chelsea have won it by the time we play them at Stamford Bridge probably wouldn''t affect our chances of getting anything from the game. A bit of a heads you lose, tails you lose situation. If they''ve already won it, they have less pressure and hence play better against a side which is desperate to stay up. If they haven''t won it, we could face a very determined side who often seem to rise to the occasion.Arsenal will probably still be trying to get a top 3 finish whether or not they can still win the title when we play them at home in our final game. I think the best chance of getting anything is if they''re guaranteed top 3 but have lost the chance to win the league.If we''re lucky then one or more of the last three opponents might still be in the Champions League, and we could maybe capitalise on any fatigue, injuries or disappointment. But this will most likely just be Chelsea given that Arsenal and Man United have two goal deficits to overturn. Arsenal however are in with a fair shout to get through to the FA Cup semi-finals.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Sunday yet another wasted couple of hours listening to commentary and the resultant canary call rant. [/quote]
Why listen to commentary when there is a plethora of sites you can watch it on live?

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Sunday yet another wasted couple of hours listening to commentary and the resultant canary call rant. [/quote]
Why listen to commentary when there is a plethora of sites you can watch it on live?
[/quote]

No access to a computer with unlimited broadband?

Seems to me that the common theme through our wins this season is pretty much that the opposition have been poor. We seem to rely on this occurring to sneak a 1-0. Well as we played against Spurs we still just squeaked it and they were clearly off-colour that day. About the only exception I can think of is Southampton where they looked pretty good and could on another day have won it. But at no stage this season (or even last, other than Swansea away, if I rack my brains) have we been involved in a good rollicking high quality ding dong where the other team have played well but we have come out top.

So far Hughton has got lucky, he was probably 2 minutes away from the sack when we played Hull in Jan but again we lumber on to the next crunch game. Sooner or later we won''t get that must-win win. The next 3 home games are absolutely critical, but I would be very surprised if we win all 3, meaning we will almost certainly need surprise points from those last 4. When your best bet appears to be away to the reigning Premier League champions and one of the world''s biggest clubs then you know you are in trouble...........

It boils down to can you see Norwich winning 4 home games on the bounce , i really just cannot see that happening especially against sides who will be just as desperate for the points as us . Going down unless some sort of miracle happens .