Sign in to follow this  
Molly Windley

Barcelona`s Tiki Taka Football - Viewpoint

Watching them in some of their recent La Liga games and on Tues v Man Citeh, in fairness P+T, they do seem to rely less on the brand of football you describe than they did under Guardiola. I''d agree that a couple of years ago there was an element of ''pass for the sake of it'', but they have added a level of directness into their game, witness the move that led to the penalty at the Etihad. Though I suppose following Di Michelis'' dismissal they had a bit more room to revert to type afterwards !

Me too.  I find I''m wishing they would just go for it.  Most of the time they are just playing the safe pass rather than trying to create a goalscoring opportunity.  Whereas Stoke try (or tried) to wear down the other side by a physical assault, Barca try to wear them down by keeping the ball endlessly.

I much prefer the more direct yet skillful style the German sides are playing now, and hope it suceeds again this year.

[quote user="vlad666"]Yeah I''d hate to see any of that "keep the ball" rubbish at carrow road. Ha ha[/quote]Chance would be a fine thing. However, our team of the early nineties was built on the keep ball football of Stringer''s side in the late eighties.  It was a wonder to behold.  If we could do it then........

Im not knocking teams passing the ball and keeping possession for periods but for a team to complete over 900 passes in a game and yet only have 10 attempts on goal is IMO not entertaining.I remember us being more of a counter attacking side under Dave Stringer but that may be my false recollections, it was 25 years ago.

These days apart from Norwich games I can rarely be bothered watching whole live matches of any team, Premier League or otherwise, but still make an exception for Barcelona as I find their attempts to unpick sides by moving them around the pitch genuinely fascinating.I know plenty of people who disagree, about Barca and Spain alike, but for me it''s like past paced chess (not necessarily selling it to sceptics I suppose!), toying with opponents to create space behind.

And as someone else has posted, Barca are a little more direct than previously, so it is more a form of tiki-taka-plus. Still not exactly hoof ball!

For the most-part I find it as dull as ditch water. Being something of a football dinosaur I remember more fondly a European Cup game with the likes of Graham Souness owning the middle of the park by different means than Tiki Taka.

Mind you last night I sat watching Arjen Robben wishing somebody would flatten him, honestly unreconstructed I think!

Entirely valid point about watching us in the late 80''s and early 90''s, it was at times properly pretty football and was of course fantastic

Of course they can keep the ball and make 900 passes.How many of those were in their own half or around the halfway line?It helps greatly when, with the slightest touch, they fall over and are allowed to keep the ball by having a free kick awarded in their favour.With today''s interpretation of the laws of the game it is virtually impossible to become physical against teams that do this. As a result the team that can buy the most technically gifted players will almost every time win matches.The days of the underdog winning are almost over! 

[quote user="Phil and Ted"]I know I should admire it but I find it so dull.Am I alone in this?

[/quote]Personally I just had to sit back and admire the technique, vision and reading of the game the Barcelona players had as they completed a series of difficult passes at a fast pace. Certainly a lot more entertaining than watching poor old Bradley Johnson spend five seconds thinking about a 15 yard pass to an unmarked stationary team mate only to see the ball drift aimlessly into the terraces as he stands there wishing he could disappear into a hole in the ground.

I think it''s very much about the neutral wanting a spectacle. If I''m playing on a Sunday or 5 a side, I''m thrilled if we keep possession anything like Barcelona and actively tell other players to play a simple backwards pass rather than risking giving up possession if there''s not an easy forward pass to be made. I''m sure if Norwich were doing it and outclassing sides I''d be thrilled too. But as a neutral I''d rather see a 5-4 end to end game where you can hardly catch your breath than a lot of highly impressive technical skill but a lack of general entertainment.

This is probably going to sound patronising/condeciending but I honestly don''t know how someone who likes football can''t enjoy watching Barcelona.

They have so much ability, even when they are passing it about without much intent there is still a huge amount of skill and ability involved. And the game they play is very tactical. It really is a beauty to behold. I enjoyed watching Madrid in the early 00s with Zidane, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo and co, AC Milan with Kaka and Shev and a top notch back five. But Barcelona are on another level for me. And even if you don''t find it the most interesting style, boring? That''s just bizzare.

Fotball is in essence about the goals, you win games by scoring more. But really if all you actually enjoy is that moment the ball goes in the net, don''t you think you''re wasting a lot of your time? And also, does it really matter when it''s not your team? It''s always nice to see a fantastic goal, but watching Xavi dictate the game, Iniesta and Mess dribble between players like they were just training ground dummies, watching Barca ware the opposition out, draw them into to attack so they themselves can counter. It''s beautiful football and I don''t really care wether they win 1-0 or 5-0 or even lose, they are so good to watch. And I know even if Norwich lose iPad I''m down because of that I can bring my enthusiasm for football back by watching a team as good as Barca play. (Or go play PES and beat someone 5-0...)

Agree with Reggie about the subtle change in their game, and also GP about their play

It''s the players (off the ball) movement that is great to watch also. We (British players and Coaches) are almost ingrained into a structured type of game. You watch an attack by some teams at the top level here, and you can predict where the off the ball players, are going to move to, during the next attack.

The Xavis and Iniestas of the World are very ''space aware''. Watching Messi drop off from his marker, sometimes to behind the player in possession, and collect the ball, is simple to watch but not many players have that thought process in our League, and if they do, they certainly are not UK international players.

its all about results; if we won games and silverware with it then it would be loved.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]its all about results; if we won games and silverware with it then it would be loved.[/quote]Exactly, ZLF. The quick passing tiki taka game is ultimately only successful long term if you have top top players and top top coaches. Barcelona are fortunate in that they have the money, setup and kudos to be able to attract such players and coaches. There would not be a snow ball in hell''s chance of a club like Norwich being able to afford players of that calibre to make a permanent feature out of such a style. Swansea got away with it for a while, but , as many of us had predicted, their players simply are not of the required standard to keep it going.

If Man city played like how they do in the premier league they would of easily won that match. They gave Barcelona too much respect. Barcelona hardly has the best defenders in the world do they? How many of Barcelona Midfielders would of wanted to track back and defend all game?

I think Barcelona''s approach is simply the extreme example on the teamwork spectrum. Its awesome in that it is teamwork of the very highest standard. The team seems to think as one. Contrast this to Real Madrid''s Galacticos, which is very much more focussed on individual brilliance and the superstar. Messi is unquestionably a brilliant individual, but he is part of a team. This is why I will never understand why they bought a player like Ibrahimovic, who would seem as far removed from this ethos as you can get (perhaps that was the idea, have an un-Barcelona-esque player to produced the individual brialliance when the team approach doesnt work. You could argue the same about Neymar).

I dont find it dull, but thats probably because I dont see it that often so the novely hasnt worn off. Watching it regularly could be boring I imagine. I would like to have seen Pulis''s Stoke play Barcelona. This would have been the ultimate clash in styles. Have the feeling Stoke might have come out on top as well, the way Stoke used to regularly bully Arsenal a few seasons ago. Barcelona are a phenomenon unlike any other team. Will be interesting to see how long this revolution continues, or whether it is just a fad (akin to Total Football) which Barcelona will naturally drift away from in time

I like Barcelona and they are cool [url]http://www.wysjg.com/socks-barcelona-20132014-p-506.html[/url]