Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Case for the defence?

Many posts have been written blaming the defence for the defeat on Saturday and slagging off Flem in particular. I''m no Flem fan at all, I have been saying for months that he should have been dropped (watch his performance on a recording of the Albion home match early February - the bloke was a complete clown) BUT, to be fair, can we really blame him for everything (or the back four in general)?

Fact is that we must give credit where it''s due. Saints scored 4 very good goals, the quality was far better than ours even though we were very unlucky to lose the game. I''ve not yet watched the MOTD full recording but surely only the first goal can really be put down to  general bad defending? For that, no-one tracked back with Quashie (Safri / Francis), Shacks and Helveg both marked a single Saints striker and neither came out to close down Quashie, Drury then had to made a split second decision and it ended up the wrong one. The goal was still a quality finish though.

The second was a good build up and cross in with a wonderful finish by Crouchy. Helveg tries to get to the cross but against long legs like that what chance do you have?

The third may be down to Bents? If a left sided midfielder picks up a loose ball just outside your box and scores, where is our right sided midfielder whose job it is to pick up that guy?   

Final goal was again a great strike, Helveg comes to close down but not quite in time.

You can make a case for any goal in any match to have been prevented but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and appreciate the quailty of the opposition attack and finish.        

Now I wonder if you are the same guy who was in the Mike Channon lounge and likes to remain anonymous. If so it was nice to meet you and it was a good day out, sadly apart from the result.

That sounds like me (personality wise anyway)!!

Very impressed with the corporate hospitality set up at Saint Mary''s.

But - where football is concerned, I certainly come out of my shell and on Saturday in with the home fans (largely) I found it very difficult to ....''act in a restrained manner''! Thank goodness, back to normal in The Jarrold this week.

Just a thought but so that we might actually start recognising each other instead of these faceless posts, why don''t us posters all start wearing a replica top with our names on. At least we might see what ''1st Wizard'', Dumble Delia, TwoSheds, Morph etc. look like? Then again ..................