Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Are you ready Neil Adams?

Let''s assume - perhaps wrongly, but lets assume anyway - that Hughton goes in the next week or so.

Let''s also assume - i know, but bare with me - that we won''t have someone ready and waiting in the wings to step straight in to the hotseat.

Based on these assumptions, the chances are very high that in the next few weeks, Neil Adams will be in charge of first team affairs at the football club. How would he do? Is he ready?

A number of people have made valid comparisons between our situation and that at Spurs. Unpopular manager, struggling to make a much favoured 4-5-1 system work, summer departure of influential squad member, big money signings not firing, goal shy team prone to shipping goals at the back...

To continue the potential similarities, backroom staff member and former player appointed as manager... immediately switches to more attacking brand of football with so far, some success...

I''m not convinced Sherwood will last long at Spurs, and equally i''m not suggesting that Adams would necessarily be the long term solution for us, but like i say, the chances are he''ll get a go and if he does, i''ll be hopeful that he can make a go of it.

(There''s another possibility that sees the temporary appointment of Claderwood or Trollope but  i''m ignoring that due to the sheer horror of it)

Not passing judgement on if this should or shouldn''t happen. Just observing that it is very likely to happen if/when Hughton goes.

Who else would take charge in the interim period? It''s going to be him or the coaching staff but i''d be surprised, even if they didn''t go immediately, if either of them were asked to take it on as they are CH''s men.  

Neither had Sherwood.

Fact is, if we want Hughton gone, there will have to be a few games where we have an interim, and because they are just that, it''s silly to expect the person to be an experienced manager. What harm in giving NA a go just while new guy is secured?

And to be honest, i think there will be a bounce as soon as he''s gone just because the situation has reached/is reaching that point where just the fact of him leaving, whether it''s right or wrong, will be a release of tension that might help the players relax. Which would be to the benefit of whoever takes interim charge.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think Mark Robson would be given the role before Adams, at least he has actually managed a senior team before. [/quote]You mean the guy who managed a 0% win rate from 13 games at Barnet, which then improved massively to 35% when Edgar Davids took joint charge...?Not really sure that this sort of experience is what we''re looking for in a caretaker manager - no matter how good he might be at coaching (unless we want another Peter Grant scenario that is?).