Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

RVW stat

Was checking the odds for the Hull game on oddschecker, it''s on there, i''m not going to question it tbh!

It''s a bit of both I think. RVW has a responsibility to be better than that no matter what.

I think it would be a little more damning if you shared how many shots he''d had in total. If he''d had 30 shots in 12 games and 4 on target it COULD* imply an issue with the striker.

If he''s had 6 shots in 12 games and 4 of them on target, I would be questioning (which I have been) why on Earth he has only had 6 shots in 12 games because it''s certainly not all his fault.

* caveat in that those 30 shots could have been shots to nothing becuase he''s simply not getting decent chances rather than missing 30 clear cut goal scoring opportunities and spooning them high, wide, and handsome.

Yep, spotted that on ESPN. Not good enough really is it.

I can count 2 assists though, 1 versus Chelsea and 1 versus Stoke. They claim he has 1.

This is damning of the service. why are some posters on here determined to make RVW seem like a flop?

the only way he will have the chance of getting more shots is if he plays from the midfield, runs the ball up and does it all himself (WHICH, he tried to do during the fulham game tuesday.)

Looking back at his career, it''s clear he doesn''t have many shots. They are lethal though, something like a 20%-30% strike rate!

all strikers have a lower shots on target percentage as they have more shots!

realistically though, RVW is at his best for us, too light weight, not able to impact a game and not accurate enough to even test keepers wityh easier chances.

Movement is ok, able to pass it about fairly well.

Jimmy,

How many shots?

How many off target?

How many actual chances?

How many time has he actually touched the ball in the opposition penalty area?

Context please dear boy!

If you said 4 shots on target, 30 off target and 40 odd chances (not every chance has a shot) there might be an argument for criticism.

I just don''t know what some of you think he is supposed to do without any supply?

Get the ball, run by 5 players and score every time?

Also, those 12 appearances, how many were as sub ?

Anyone know what''s the average number of shots needed to get one on target for Prem strikers ?  There was discussion on a thread but I can''t remember if it was number of shots on target needed to score on average, or ratio of total shots to number on target.

makes you wonder how rvw hooper becchio holt   Were all free scoring before they signed for us ( i know different leagues ) i am sure if we get the right manager in to play to their strengths it will be fine

I feel for RVW this is not what he was hoping for i honestly think if he was in another team he would have scored more goals

It''s a lack of service and a lack of support.

Look at when we played Cardiff. People don''t seem to have a problem with Hooper because he has scored some goals but look at that game. He played upfront on his own and it was a very comfortable afternoon for the Cardiff centrebacks. We don''t get the numbers forward to cause defenders problems.

In the Fulham replay there was a moment in the first half when Redmond (I think) was looking to put a cross in from the right. Elmander was the only player in the box. There were 4 City players all quite close to each other not far outside the box. All of them had the time and opportunity to get in there but not one of them ventured in.

Very easy for a 4 man defence to mark 1 man in the box.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Howson is now! - 18 shots in total, 4 on target.
Yikes! [:$] There isn''t much of an excuse for that.
[/quote]Well there is.  I can almost guarantee that at least 50% of those shots have been desperation because he''s so angry that no one is passing the ball to him.TIME AND TIME AGAIN (yes I''m angry about it) RvW makes a fantastic run only for someone in our midfield (usually Snodgrass) to not look up and not pass him the ball.  In all honesty I feel extremely sorry for RvW because he is being stitched up by the midfield.

I think context is without doubt the key.

We know the service has been terrible and we also know he has had to come deep looking for the ball, I think the sliced shot he had at Everton is probably a good example, not really a chance at all just a hit and hope.

I think With either a decent goal scoring free passing number 10 (which we do not have) or 2 up front he will get chances and score goals.

He continues to feed off scraps at Everton there may have been 2 up front but the rest of the team was on the edge of the penalty area.

We need to both attack and defend as a unit and with more pace and we will get the Wolf scoring

Anybody with the exception of Hughton can see that.

Furthermore, how many of those shots are actually headers from crosses, corners that he could only glance because the ball was too high or inaccurate?

All these things affect whether you hit the target or not!

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Furthermore, how many of those shots are actually headers from crosses, corners that he could only glance because the ball was too high or inaccurate?

All these things affect whether you hit the target or not!

[/quote]

I always thought there was a separate count for headers.  When he''d just started there was a stat floating about on him not having a shot on target which didn''t count the header he scored with.

OP think of it like a day at work for yourself. Someone comes past and says " Hey stupid, I said WITH cheese" you hold your hands up because you didnt put the cheese on his Big Mac, it was the dude 3 places behind you in the assembley line. Until he remembers to put cheese on the Burger customers are not going to get cheese burgers. So while your opperating the drive in window your going to be the one getting the flack for not providing the service.This might make more sense to you :)

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]OP think of it like a day at work for yourself. Someone comes past and says " Hey stupid, I said WITH cheese" you hold your hands up because you didnt put the cheese on his Big Mac, it was the dude 3 places behind you in the assembley line. Until he remembers to put cheese on the Burger customers are not going to get cheese burgers. So while your opperating the drive in window your going to be the one getting the flack for not providing the service.This might make more sense to you :)[/quote]

Haha, subtle, but no, I don''t flip burgers for a living!

Surely it''s a balancing act. He has to adapt to the team and the team have to adapt to him.

I don''t hate him, I really want him to succeed, but I think that our usage of him is where our problems started this season.

Nothing would please me more than to see RVW smashing in a few goals. We need a more attacking way of playing with us higher up the pitch before we''ll see it though, as unlike Hooper, RVW looks completely incapable of adjusting to a more defensive style of play.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]OP think of it like a day at work for yourself. Someone comes past and says " Hey stupid, I said WITH cheese" you hold your hands up because you didnt put the cheese on his Big Mac, it was the dude 3 places behind you in the assembley line. Until he remembers to put cheese on the Burger customers are not going to get cheese burgers. So while your opperating the drive in window your going to be the one getting the flack for not providing the service.This might make more sense to you :)[/quote]

Haha, subtle, but no, I don''t flip burgers for a living!

Surely it''s a balancing act. He has to adapt to the team and the team have to adapt to him.

I don''t hate him, I really want him to succeed, but I think that our usage of him is where our problems started this season.

Nothing would please me more than to see RVW smashing in a few goals. We need a more attacking way of playing with us higher up the pitch before we''ll see it though, as unlike Hooper, RVW looks completely incapable of adjusting to a more defensive style of play.[/quote]Nail and head mate.Dunno why Hootan signed him in all honesty as he doesnt fit his method of play. Another big reason we need to get rid of the clown and start playing some football again at Norwich !

Once again the RvW critics keep saying he has to adapt to our team and a more defensive way of playing.

In what way has he got to adapt? What does he need to do different?

If he has to be more defensive, that isn''t going to get him goals.  If he doesn''t get the ball in the opposition penalty area, he is very unlikely to get goals, if he has to come deep all the time to get possession, he isn''t in a position to attack the opposition goal and thus get goals.

Please enlighten me as to how anyone is supposed to score goals if they don''t get it in the right areas to do so?

Simply just what exactly has he got to do?

I do despair!

Not sure what hoopers shots on target are,  but while decrying RvWs 18 Hoops has only 23;   less per game than RvW (1.5 to 1.4)

Says that we really do have a creativity problem if our two main strikers average only 3 shots in two games,  whether on target or not...