Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Would you take Steve Clarke right now?

If we''re going to change, we need to do it quickly in order to remove uncertainty and start off with a clean slate as soon as possible and wash away all the negativity and diharmony that is enveloping the club.

We could achieve this almost overnight if we removed CH and replaced him with Steve Clarke until the end of the season. If we did that, there''d probably be no need to instal an interim (sorry Neil Adams, would like to see him given a couple of games on an interim basis) and all this unpleasantness would be over, for now at least!

[quote user="ricardo"]Why does everybody want managers that have failed elsewhere and been sacked?[/quote]

Different mangers work at different clubs. Every manager gets sacked eventually so to not employ somebody because they have been sacked before will dramatically reduce the market in which you can shop.

It''s a question Ricardo. And a hypothetical proposal.

Clearly your answer is no.

In response to your question, i might say "why do people only look at what a manager hasn''t achieved rather than what he has achieved?"

Alan Pardew was sacked by West Ham and Charlton and couldn''t get Southampton out of League 1 but i''m sure some people would take him here now.

At the recent game against West Brom, I was talking with some of the home fans about Clarke. I asked them what they thought about him and who was the best manager they had in the last 5 years. They said that the best manager that they had had was Roy Hodgson and that the only reason that Clarke had done so well last season was because he inherited the team that Hodgson had assembled.

So it is a NO from me.

I would not go for Mackey, as much as I like the bloke I do not feel it is right just to appoint someone because you liked him a person or a player for your club. He did well at Cardiff to get them into the Prem, but they weren''t the best team to watch here. I think he would keep us up, as he is that sort of manager that would motivate players. I think he needs to prove himself still and we can''t afford that to be with us.

I would be tempted to have a chat with Steve McClaren. I know he is with another club at the moment but we have recent history poaching managers. Not going to be popular, just my humble opinion.

Newcastle sacked Sir Chris. But we took him in. We clearly shouldn''t have. Brighton sacked Poyet. Not good enough for the Champ but slowly improving Sunderland. Stoke sacked Pulis who is now doing OK at Palace. everybody has sacked Steve McLaren, doing OK at Derby. We sacked Roeder. Not managed since to my knowledge. As someone said, it''s always a matter of time. It''s the way things happen in football because the compensation money on offer mean that resignations are few and far between.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Almost all managers are sacked goes with the job.

Yes at least he has shown he can put a team together to attack.[/quote]Yet has failed at a club with a very similar status to our own.If Hughton was sacked by us and re-employed by WBA you would understand my point of view. Why would Clarke offer us anything different to what he got sacked at WBA for? He wouldn''t, it would just be a continuation of the merry go round in the that hope change will bring better fortune.If Hughton goes I would hope that our board at least try something different.

[quote user="lowlyfendweller"]Like for like really.[/quote]

It is like for like. Only it''s not, because his name is Steve Clarke, not Chris Hughton.

I don''t mean that obnoxiously, it''s just that i fear we are fast approaching the point where even if CH could save us, his mere presence as NCFC manager is too toxic for the club to be able dig itself out of the rut it is in. This is exaclty what happened with NW.

Livingstone sacked Lambert after they won two out of their opening 25 league games when he took over.

You''d think that sort of record would make him a managerial no go area.

The fact that, after he''d left they lost a further 11 from 13 league games and finished bottom suggests it was to do with circumstances at the club that he couldn''t affect in a positive manner that led to their downfall rather than his managerial ability which might have been the easy conclusion to come to.

He pitches up at Wycombe the next season, Wycombe fans are probably looking at his record at Livingstone and doing a collective facepalm-but the team has only five defeats from their opening 20 games and get to the FA Cup semi-finals.

The circumstances were right there for success. At Livi they weren''t. Doubtless, as and when Hughton moves on, the chances of him doing phenomenally well at another club-a promotion, a Cup, Europe-after us are all dependent on those circumstances which play as big a part in any football appointment than ''who'' it is-thats a good start but isn''t the be all and the end all.

For that reason we could appoint Neil Adams and he could see us in 10th by the end of the season, do the same again next time around as well as win the League Cup.

Or we could still appoint him and not win another game all season.

So many parameters. But thats what makes football so....well, the more we think we know the game, the more we probably don''t! But its fun speculating and thats what it should be first and foremost-fun and an escape from the serious shit in all our lives.

Clarke did not fail at West Brom. Led them to their highest top flight finish in years last season and was unlucky to be sacked this season. Got a win at Old Trafford and was robbed at Stamford Bridge by the worst penalty decision I think I''ve ever seen, they were also hugely unlucky to lose against us really. He''s worked under Mourinho and Dalglish and we''d be the perfect club for him to continue his managerial career. In response to the suggestion that he inherited Hodgson''s squad he still led them to a higher place and more points. I''d be happy with him not Malky.

Failed and sacked manager like hughton was at newcastle. Clarke is a good manager, excellent first season, went through bad patch at WBA this season. Nothing compared to Hughton bad patch in last 18 months tho. Plays attacking football in the right way. Gimme me Clarke, Mackay, Di Matteo, Zola (All sacked from last job) over Hughton anyday.

Wasnt Lambert sacked as Livingston manager, not bad for a failure. Brendon Rodgers sacked as Reading manager hes not a bad failure either. Pochettino sacked as Espanyol manager. Laudrup sacked as Mallorca manager.

No. Not Clarke. Not any of the UK-based managers mentioned as being supposedly available. A change only makes sense if the replacement looks markedly better than the incumbent.

It''s probably not the best we can come up with, but if it''s just to the end of the season initially, it could be the most expedient way of:

a) lifting the gloom, and as a consequence,

b) injecting some positivity in to the club

c) giving the players some confidence

d) removing doubts around departures in the window as players will need to concentrate on impressing the new man

e) and thus refocusing minds on football and not the incessant sideshow of will he won''t be sacked, will he won''t x player leave

f) take the pressure off the board and give some time to explore long-term managerial opportunities (think Rafa Benitez spell at Chelsea)

Struggle to name many managers in the prem who havent been sacked at some point. Mourinho, Rodgers, Pellegrini, Laudrup, Lambert, Pochettino, Bruce, Poyet, Allardyce, Hughton, Mel, Pardew, Hughes & Pulis have all been sacked. If you are failure for getting sacked then theres alot of failures kicking round the prem. Do well to go your whole managerial career without a sacking on your CV.

GETTING SACKED DOESNT MEAN YOUR A FAILURE, HAPPENS TO THE BEST !

I wouldn''t consider him good enough to replace Hughton. You seem to have just taken to naming people out of work.

[quote user="splutcho"]I wouldn''t consider him good enough to replace Hughton. You seem to have just taken to naming people out of work.[/quote]

Yes, there is a logical reason for doing that. Can you think what it might be?

[quote user="splutcho"]Yeah, clutching at straws. Alan Knill was sacked by Torquay last week, let''s get him in![/quote]
Least he''d match our scoring skills.

Maybe we should just sack Hughton and then reappoint him, based on the logic of posters here, if Clarke is not a failure then neither will be Hughton surely?

Oh go on then. I''ll take the job. Can''t be that hard can it. Just shove your best players on the pitch and change things if it ain''t working out. There''s always the resource of this forum to refer to if I''m not sure about part 1.