Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Danny Guthrie

this why it is a waste of time keeping him ! if they had sacked him yesterday the new manager could have had at least alittle time to get his own people in what will happen we will lose sat then sack him wasting 5 more days of the window !

Well only a rumour at present and we will have the same old people saying he''s a good squad player.......but in honesty we need players better than our starting 11 to push us forward, not another Johnson / Tettey type who are good hard working pro''s but both not really any worse than Guthrie!

I am starting to think that the board are shackling the spending be it for a relegation or for a new manager, one way or another not inspiring if true!

Dion Dublin made an interesting point on the wireless the other day specifically relating to Holt and Lambert but picked up by Chris Goreham here. Managers under pressure look to players they know and trust to get the team back on track. Trust is paramount and if you have a relationship with the player then you know what you are getting.

Made sense and we see it so often eg Allardyce and Nolan. Hughton is getting in some comfort players who he knows well and who he can rely on.

This raises many interesting questions though.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]This raises many interesting questions though.[/quote]The key one being "Why are we buying endless Newcastle rejects to comfort our manager, when he''s likely to be out of a job in the next week or so"...

If memory serves, this is the guy who had an attitude problem under McDermott at Reading, which lead to a Roger Johnson type fiasco with his other half complaining he should be in the team?

We don''t need another midfielder, CB should be our priority if we insist on not attacking and playing a defensive game for 80 minutes.

Another player not good enough for Newcastle! Presumably he would be a stop gap, to provide a bit of power in the midfield where it is certainly lacking, or a back up to cover Fer, Tettey or Howson.

Is there something we are not hearing about Howson? We keep hearing "out for some weeks".

My view on the matter, if it is true, is that in Gutierrez and Guthrie we would be signing good wholehearted players, but not ones who will take us forward.

Are they finding it difficult to attract "top" players, either because of our league position or because Hughton is allowed only limited funds?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]This raises many interesting questions though.[/quote]The key one being "Why are we buying endless Newcastle rejects to comfort our manager, when he''s likely to be out of a job in the next week or so"...[/quote]I believe this is the point he was making. Perhaps the highlighted bit about won''t happen, as much as we might think it will / want it to.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]This raises many interesting questions though.[/quote]The key one being "Why are we buying endless Newcastle rejects to comfort our manager, when he''s likely to be out of a job in the next week or so"...[/quote]Looks like we are buying for next season in the Championship , sticking with Clueless and letting him bring rubbish in like this with no sign of anybody arriving who could actually help us stay up cry''s out that we have already accepted the drop.

I think Danny Guthrie would be an alright signing, we definitely need a bit of competition in the middle.

Gets stuck in and can pass the ball. No complaints here.

We have Johnson who "gets stuck in" and Guthrie can''t pass, is probably on like £40k a week too.

We need to look at better than him if we''re serious about survival.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2013-14-analysis-opinion/2013/11/12/5095716/danny-guthrie-the-state-of-the-reading-fc-midfield

I will believe this reading fan, thanks.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Gets stuck in and can pass the ball.[/quote]What you actually meant to say is that he''s Bradley Johnson MK2, with virtually the same poor to average level of passing accuracy, similar levels of work rate and bite, but a much worse attitude (which has caused him to leave 2 different clubs already, and caused issues at the others to boot)...He''s spent the last 2 seasons in the CCC because no prem club was interested and now Hughton is resorting to the old boys act to try to save his job...Absolutely ridiculous!

"He''s spent the last 2 seasons in the CCC"

Reading were in the Premier League last season.

[quote user="Le Juge"]http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2013-14-analysis-opinion/2013/11/12/5095716/danny-guthrie-the-state-of-the-reading-fc-midfield

I will believe this reading fan, thanks.[/quote]Whereas I will believe the evidence that clearly shows that there at least 100 other players in the CCC with better passing accuracy than Guthrie:[url]http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/3859/Stages/7800/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2013-2014[/url]And that he''s more than happy to throw a strop as shown here:[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20688848[/url]I''m not saying that he can''t have a good game, but we should definitely be looking for better than him if we want to progress, and frankly I''d rather have Surman back than sign Guthrie...

[quote user="Le Juge"]"He''s spent the last 2 seasons in the CCC"

Reading were in the Premier League last season.[/quote]Fair point (talk about a faux pas)!That being said, he still didn''t get a move back to the prem after their relegation, and generally speaking the better players do...

Guthrie would be a completely pointless signing.

Worse than Johnson, Tettey, Fer and Howson. Probably Fox too.

I hope its a false rumor

Just as a comparison to our other midfielders.
Tackles per game:
Fer- 3.2
Guthrie- 2.6
Tettey- 2.1
Johnson- 1.9
Howson- 1.6
Interceptions:
Tettey- 3
Johnson- 2.6
Fer- 1.2
Howson- 1.4
Guthrie- 1.1
Goals:
Guthrie- 4
Fer- 3
Howson/Johnson- 2
Tettey- 0
Assists:
Guthrie: 2
Fer- 1
Howson/Johnson/Tettey- 0
Key Passes:
Guthrie- 2.1
Tettey- 1.1
Fer- 1
Johnson- 0.8
Howson- 0.7
Passing Accuracy %:
Tettey- 89.5
Fer- 84.2
Howson- 84.3
Guthrie- 78.9 (although he also attempts about 8 more passes per game than any of our current midfielders)
Johnson- 77

We might as well sign Matty Pattison as well then. All the Newcastle rejects coming our way. Guthrie would be a disastrous signing.

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE SOME MIDFIELDERS WHO CAN PASS THE BLOODY BALL HUGHTON!!!

I''m a bit confused by this thread because when somebody praises Hughtons record in the transfer market, it gets jumped all over by people saying it''s all down to the scouting network, Ewan Chester and the board.

However......a sniff of a player that fans are a bit non-plussed about and all of a sudden it''s that bloody Hooten again.

So....good signings=scouts and board

Bad signings=Hooughtern

We''ve been here before though....remember....

Good Managerial Appointment = Luck

Bad Managerial Appointment = Bloody Delia

I bet Houghton is "Delia''s Man"....