Sign in to follow this  
hertfordyellow

New manager - 3 things you would change first

Simple question really, Hughton sacked tomorrow, you are the new manager, what 3 things would you change straight away to get things going?For me...1) Replace Bassong as captain with someone stronger and vocal, for me that is Turner.2) Try and get someone in, in the middle of the park who does the simple things well. A lot of noise is made about Barkley at Everton but I think the signing of Barry has been key as he calmly goes about his business which positively impacts the team.3) Get Wes back in the team as part of a three man midfield

1) New captain, R.Martin all day long2) Unshackle the midfield and start playing passing attacking football3) Take the team out for a bonding session to get morale back up again

1) Revert back to a 4-4-2 as i don''t think the system is dead as some might think. Proof is its working for Man City and Spurs!

2) Play our wingers in their natural positions and get them crossing in to two strikers with maybe an attacking cm too. Playing them opposite is inviting them to cut in and either shoot or cross the ball inwards making it a hell of a lot easier for the keeper to claim.

3) Play RVW and Hooper up front for the remainder of the season if they can stay fit!

1. Change the mindset from "lets not try to lose" to "lets go try and win";2. Don''t leave the forward(s) too isolated, attack as a team;3. Play with conventional wingers (who swap on occasions, but predominately have the right footer on the right, left footer on the left).

[quote user="Matt Juler"]1. Change the mindset from "lets not try to lose" to "lets go try and win";2. Don''t leave the forward(s) too isolated, attack as a team;3. Play with conventional wingers (who swap on occasions, but predominately have the right footer on the right, left footer on the left).[/quote]I kind of meant tangibly what would you change, these are more results of changes rather than changes themselves. How would do it?

Sell Bassong and Snodgrass to remove the temptation of playing them.Do away with the wide wingers philosophy- our forwards are more suited to balls through from midfield.Play Fer more forward and get him pressing high up when out of possession.Appoint Ruddy as captain.Get in experienced ball winning PASSING midfielders to sure up the middle of the park. Let everyone else play their game.Appoint a fitness team that can keep down the recurring injuries.

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="Matt Juler"]1. Change the mindset from "lets not try to lose" to "lets go try and win";This should be a simple change, don''t fill the players with the fear of losing.  In my mind that''s the biggest issue with Mr Hughton, he''s made the players scared of losing.2. Don''t leave the forward(s) too isolated, attack as a team;I believe this come directly from point 1, take away the fear and it will happen.3. Play with conventional wingers (who swap on occasions, but predominately have the right footer on the right, left footer on the left).I''d write this one on the little white flip board in the changing room, if the don''t listen they don''t play.  Simple![/quote]I kind of meant tangibly what would you change, these are more results of changes rather than changes themselves. How would do it?[/quote]

I really don''t think we need to make wholesale changes, more just let the players play with a bit more freedom but i would:

1. Immediately abandon this sodding zonal marking nonsense.

2. Get Tettey back in the side if fit (in fairness out of Hughton''s hands).

3. Get Wes back in the team.

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Bennett Olsson

Tettey Fer

Snodgrass Hoolahan Redmond

Hooper

That side, with the fullbacks given a bit more freedom and Tettey sitting thus enabling Fer to occasionally get forward should be good enough in my view.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Immediately abandon this sodding zonal marking nonsense.[/quote]
See, I''ve seen this mentioned a few times and it continues to confuse me. Zonal marking and the zonal system has been a footballing main-stay since the 1960''s and the work of Allen Wade, Rinus Michels and Valeriy Labonvskyi. I can''t think of a single team in professional football that doesn''t use a zonal system. Sure, a couple of teams have occasionally attempted a bit of man-marking to try and limit an oppositions best player, and the debate as to set-pieces continues to this day. But the actual principles of zonal marking? I''ve yet to see any team really challenge that (apart from the Italians and their love of the back three, which tends to lead to man-marking systems).
It seems to me that people are getting mixed up between pressing and zonal marking. Teams like Dortmund, Southampton etc. teams known for their high pressing, still play a zonal system. Hell, they use an agressive offside trap which was one of the founding principles of zonal marking as practiced by the Dutch! 

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Immediately abandon this sodding zonal marking nonsense.[/quote]
See, I''ve seen this mentioned a few times and it continues to confuse me. Zonal marking and the zonal system has been a footballing main-stay since the 1960''s and the work of Allen Wade, Rinus Michels and Valeriy Labonvskyi. I can''t think of a single team in professional football that doesn''t use a zonal system. Sure, a couple of teams have occasionally attempted a bit of man-marking to try and limit an oppositions best player, and the debate as to set-pieces continues to this day. But the actual principles of zonal marking? I''ve yet to see any team really challenge that (apart from the Italians and their love of the back three, which tends to lead to man-marking systems).
It seems to me that people are getting mixed up between pressing and zonal marking. Teams like Dortmund, Southampton etc. teams known for their high pressing, still play a zonal system. Hell, they use an agressive offside trap which was one of the founding principles of zonal marking as practiced by the Dutch! 

[/quote]Are we fit enough to play that way do you think?  I''m not saying we are unfit but I think we have been a bit leggy on occasions this season.

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Immediately abandon this sodding zonal marking nonsense.[/quote]

[/quote]Are we fit enough to play that way do you think?  I''m not saying we are unfit but I think we have been a bit leggy on occasions this season. [/quote]
Any professional side is fit enough to play a basic zonal system. League 2 players do it all the time and in terms of nutrition, sport science and fitness coaching are miles behind any Premier League team. 
The high-pressing tactic is a bit harder to answer. In general, yes, many teams are fit enough to play a very high-pressing at least in the short-term. Questions start to arise over the long-term viability of this tactic. Southampton have, at times, looked very tired this season and, whilst not a huge watcher of the Bundesliga, I believe Dortmund often have similar issues. High-pressing is an exhausting tactic, many teams will collapse over the course of a season because of it''s fitness demands, but some would argue that the ability to win the ball in the opposition third and makes it a worthwhile endeavor.
Personally, I''ve never been a fan of the high-press. I think it leaves you vulnerable to counter-attacks and the aggressive offside trap can really cause you issues against fast strikers. I honestly prefer a disciplined shape with pressing only occurring in certain areas of the pitch, such as in your own half, but this is all just personal opinion.

Well we play solid formation which tends to take some power out of the legs as you constantly have to move with rest of the team. This at least tend to show in midfielders legs at the end of the game.

We could add some pressure, but it cant work with solid formation too well in defence as ofc when one or two run off from formation to press we lose the formation.

I would prefer pressing thought as your backline has been very crappy apart from Olsson and few odd games from right backs, so doesnt matter if we are in formation, if they cant do the simple marking in the box.

An interesting thread...some good points already so I will try not to repeat. Here''s some other ideas.

1. Stop talking up the opposition and start making our players think they are as good or better than the opponents. Confidence is the thing!

2. Let the midfield express themselves more, take a few risks, and play people in their best positions.

3. Stop making pathetic substitutions with 3 minutes left. If you want to have the chance of an impact sub he needs at least 20 minutes.

1. Sell Fox.....because he had his chance and let himself down

2. Sell Hoolahan ....doing us no good hanging around with the speculation and the link to PL needs to be severed

3. Buy a big quality front man........spend as big as possible on this

1. drop snodgrass. play redmond on the right wing, ollson left (garrido left back) 442.2. terminate elmanders loan and get someone else in, man is a waste of space3. remind the players, that to win games, they have to battle for 90 minutes, and play to win, not just play ok for 20 minutes and then try and hold on for a draw for the other 70

1, Get Snodgrass out on loan. His performance levels have dropped remarkably this season, and even though he''s frustrated, he''s not cutting it.

2, Get buying. A new centre back and midfielder who''s comfortable on the ball. We don''t need a lot just finishing touches. A classy CB that could marshall the defence is needed as they''re haemorrhage goals at the moment. Midfield is erratic and don''t retain possession once they get the ball. If you don''t have possession you can make chances. So a midfielder who''s comfortable on the ball, possibly dual footed and knocks the ball about should be the target. Neither cheap but falling out of the league is more expensive.

3, Change the formation. Let the team be flexible. 4 at the back for starters but with full backs that can attack so Olssen and Martin. Martin over Whittaker as with Martin you can change to a back 3 and push Olssen forward if the game is going your way. 2 Centre mids Fer and new player. Attacking centre mid, bring Wes back in and rotate with Howson when fit/you need to be a tad more solid. Play with one winger who''s free to roam both sides of the park. Also because if you play with Hooper and RVW who aren''t massive - they aren''t going to win that much arielly - no point in playing two wingers.