Sign in to follow this  
charlies dad

Mckenzie... most improved player.

On a positive note, i thought Leon Mckenzie was absolutely awesome on saturday. Since the signing of Dean Aston, he has been transformed from a game battler into one of the hottest strikers in the prem. Saturdays performance was his best (imo) in a Norwich City shirt. His goal was sharp and clever, and expertly finished, and he was dreadfully out of luck when he took the centre half to the cleaners late in the game only to see the keeper excel himself for the umpteenth time. Spot on Mckenzie! keep it up.. and whatever league you are playing in next season you will be one of our trump cards.

Yup, imagine if we go down and have Ashton and Mckenzie playing together in their current form. They will truly be unstoppable.

[quote]On a positive note, i thought Leon Mckenzie was absolutely awesome on saturday. Since the signing of Dean Aston, he has been transformed from a game battler into one of the hottest strikers in the pre...[/quote]

I have to agree - he continues to give his all in every game (francis - are you listening!) and is now not missing the chances he had earlier in the season - confidence is a wonderful thing; if only he could give some to Jonson.  As you say he finished his goal superbly and was unlucky to find Niemi in form in the second half - he did everything right.  

However he continues to frustrate; even mre so than Hux at the moment. He HAS to learn the offside law.  Its not that he needs a head start, like Sven, as he has to pace to get beyond defenders and the strength to hold them off - but he must learn to stay on the shoulder until the ball is played - he WILL get a good goal disallowed soon as he wanders into an offside position in the centre of the 6 yard box; itsa good job he fouled Niemi when ashtons header went in as he was also offside again.

Secondly, and even the MOTD commentator commented on it, he has to learn how to make the most of the opprotunities his perseverance generates; in  the second half he out muscles the centre half and then puts in a pass that would shame any player.

However he is improving (easily winner of most improved player as nominated) and his understanding with Ashton is excellent - long may his hot spell continue.

OTBC

He still needs to improve his control and passing but he is on the way to becoming a legend if only for his commitment.

After scoring Saturday he ran the length of the pitch to the Northam Stand to the sound of "Leon, Leon, Leon".  He acknowledged the crowds support and I am sure I am not alone in saying that the fans appreciate that sort of thing.

He''s not yet the finished article by a long shot but in my mind he is now a premiership striker which was certainly not the case earlier in the season.

He has improved beyond recognition primarily through hard work as he still has a poor touch and occasionally disastrous passing.  I can''t think of many premiership defenders who would enjoy playing him though.  HE caused Saints no end of trouble nad I know they arent the best but goals against Everton, Man U + Chelsea show he can do it against the best.

Whichever division we are in and I still think it will be the prem him + Deano will be one hell of a partnetship.