Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

If we scratched out a survival this season

Pochettino still ready to walk out on Saints... and faces fight to keep £30m Shaw as Chelsea and City hoverMauricio Pochettino is ready to walk away from Southampton in the summer after hiring a team of lawyers to study the fine print in his contract.

No, sadly. It feels as if he has lost a lot of fans for good and will need to have some of best results ever to win them back. I think a fresh face will help the club move forward, as the animosity around the current gang will keep dragging us down,especially if we had a bad start.

Define ''scratch out a survival'' please. I think you are presenting a loaded question in order to get the answer you want to see.

How about if we end up within 4 points or 4 places of last season would you want the manager to continue. That is a more neutral question than the one you''d have is answer.

[quote user="Getalife"]Pochettino still ready to walk out on Saints... and faces fight to keep £30m Shaw as Chelsea and City hoverMauricio Pochettino is ready to walk away from Southampton in the summer so he can work where ever Nicola Cortese ends up after hiring a team of lawyers to study the fine print in his contract.[/quote]I completed the above for you.If we were to change managers in the summer, we would not be getting PochettinoI''d prefer we survive and Hughton''s job stays tenable until the summer and make a change then. My reason for this is simply based on that I don''t see any of the currently available managers being able to do a better job.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I''d prefer we survive and Hughton''s job stays tenable until the summer and make a change then. My reason for this is simply based on that I don''t see any of the currently available managers being able to do a better job.[/quote]On what basis do you make that assumption?Whilst I''d fully agree that many of the names being touted around like Clarke, Malky and Hoddle, are pretty uninspiring, we do we have such a narrow field of view when it comes to managers???There''s a number of great managers in the leagues across Europe who''d kill for the chance to come in and manage a well run team in the prem, and even if they are already contracted to others clubs - that''s football, we make the approach, pay the compo and bring them in.Instead of thinking purely about managers who we know from them having already worked in England, look further afield for the talent that''s out there.This is why I was suggesting managers like Guidolin, Favre and even Rijkaard, good managers who may be interested in the opportunity we can offer, and who have a lot more to bring with them than the likes of Clarke and Mackay.

If we survive the drop this season, it will be the boards decision what happens during the summer. As it seams the revised target now is to remain out of the bottom three, survival might just mean the board sticks with him.

Personally, I think Hughton has taken us as far as he possibly can. There has been absolutely zero evidence of any improvements which makes me think that success under Hughton is possible.   He has been unable to successfuly manage the team this year and I can see the same thing happening next season if he remains  as manager.  He has failed to utilise our most expensive ever squad to it''s strengths and his inability to identify areas of weakness and make sufficient changes both short term during games and long term overall has been the story of this season.

If we survive, unless it''s by some fantastic turn around in form then I would like to see a new manger in chanrge next season.

''Define ''scratch out a survival'' please.''My meaning here is what might reasonably  be assumed as best outcome when evaluating the past season and more. The essence of my point being our style of play, the disgruntlement of the fanbase, the demotivation of the players and lack of confidence over the long term. '' I think you are presenting a loaded question in order to get the answer you want to see.''Yes,  fair comment I acknowledge it is a  leading question and I am an outer nonetheless it would be more damning if one were to rephrase the question as ''were to excel in performance and retain our premier status'' for that would presuppose there is no way out for the manager should the opinion be no.The answer I wish to see is simply your own opinion whatever and of course that of those who are kind enough to reply.Another way of asking , is there any way out for Chris.''''How about if we end up within 4 points or 4 places of last season would you want the manager to continue. That is a more neutral question than the one you''d have is answer"I cannot follow your reasoning here and combinations of conjectures and suppositions are endless , how about using simply '' if we stay up'' as a friendly compromise.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]This is why I was suggesting managers like Guidolin, Favre and even Rijkaard, good managers who may be interested in the opportunity we can offer, and who have a lot more to bring with them than the likes of Clarke and Mackay.[/quote]Some decent names there.However, this suggestion is purely based that they would want to come. We''d need to approach them before Hughton was gone. Otherwise, we end up with a Wolves situation from a few years back, where we sack Hughton, find out no one better is interested in the job, and end up with a worse situation.Have these conversations already taken place? Have the likes of these types already been sounded out and not wanted the job? We may be back in the same place having already looked at names like the ones you''ve suggested.Of course I don''t know the answers to these questions. No one here could. It would be nice to think that McNally might be savvy enough to do this. I have no doubt that McNally will have a contingency plan in place. I just hope it''s a good one.

If we scratch out survival he should go, I thought he should have gone at the end of last season which was not a particularly popular view at the time!

In my opinion this is the best case scenario, if he keeps us up we can let him go ala Pulis at Stoke last year and give the new guy all summer.

Every manager of every team attempt to get their team to play the way they feel the game should be played and they influence the performances of the players.Unfortunately, whereas I was happy last season by saying to myself ''needs must'', that should not be the case now as sufficient funds and time have been available to change things. I do not believe the way Hughton believes the game should be played is something that I want to continue to see and I do not believe that his methods will be successful. A different approach is needed for the sake of the team, the players, the supporters and the club.If we are to go down I would like to go down fighting, giving ourselves a chance of winning games, not giving us the faint possibility of picking up enough draws to limp over the line.If we go down we will, almost certainly, change the manager. If we don''t change the manager we will, almost certainly, go down.

CUSDP said it would be a case of saying he''s taken us as far as he can and bye.

But I think that sort of thing just sums up my confusion towards most of the people wanting Hughton out at the moment. It''s as though they think that, in only our third season in the prem, we should somehow be comfortably mid table by now. Given that there are 11 teams on virtually the same amount of points as us, that half of those have been in the prem for longer than us, and even those who have changed manager are still not miraculously pulling clear of the other 10 teams, why do we think that a change of manager is going to leave us finishing 9th or 10 very comfortably?

Bottom line is that there are 10 or 11 teams in this division who are almost as bad as each other. Some are slightly worse than others - which is why at the end of this season three teams will get relegated but I wouldn''t be at all surprised if one or two (or all) of them are still within 10 points of 10th. That''s how fine the margins are - three or four games difference between relegation and "comfortable mid table". That''s not because there are 11 managers who are bad (more than that if you''re taking into account teams who have had 2 managers this season), it''s because the players these 11 teams have aren''t any better than the other teams around them.

So, if we stay up this season, unless we can get a top top manager in, like Mourinho, I can''t see much point in changing Houghton.

[quote user="Aggy"]why do we think that a change of manager is going to leave us finishing 9th or 10 very comfortably?[/quote]I don''t.I''m more than willing to accept how tough the league is and that we''re likely to be anywhere from 10th to 17th each season, this is just the stark reality of the premiership, however regardless of where we finish, I want us to have done so playing football that the fans can actually enjoy watching.I''m not expecting to see football like from Barca, Arsenal or Man City, but I want something more than the dour, defensive dogs**t that has plagued this club since Hughton took over.Swansea keep being mentioned, and frankly I don''t think on paper their players are any better and their league position is virtually the same, the difference is that they play football that the majority of their fans enjoy (and many neutrals appreciated as well) and this really is the crux of the matter for me.Changing the manager may have ZERO impact in terms of overall results or league finish position, but if it means that we get to watch better football in exchange, then it''s completely worth it.It really is that simple.

....Changing the manager may have ZERO impact in terms of overall results or league finish position, but if it means that we get to watch better football in exchange, then it''s completely worth it................................................I share those feelings which sums up the drift of so many on here.This is not a personal issue about the manager but this is big business without sentiment and my view is that  if the manager has any influence on performance whatsoever then  it is a negative one, so whereon earth  can you go from there.