Sign in to follow this  
barclaystand

Jonas Gutierrez squad number and shirt name....

The club announced today that Jonas Gutierrez will be squad number 15, but that his shirt will have Jonas on the back.Does anyone know the real reason why this is the case instead of it having Gutierrez on it?I await your sensible replies, and the usual witty ones, with baited breath.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"]He''s a massive Weezer fan.[Y][/quote]...or the lost Jonas brother.[/quote]Maybe he wanted to be lost. [:)]

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]According to Wikipedia;Gutiérrez told nufc.co.uk that instead of "Gutiérrez", the former Real

Mallorca man would sport "Jonás" above his squad number 18 he said

"Because I like my name".
Not ground breaking, but there you have it. He likes first name.[/quote]If that is the case then why is a player allowed to break tradition and use their first name on their shirt? You wouldn''t expect to see Hoolahan running around in a shirt with Wesley on it would you.

[quote user="barclaystand"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]According to Wikipedia;Gutiérrez told nufc.co.uk that instead of "Gutiérrez", the former Real

Mallorca man would sport "Jonás" above his squad number 18 he said

"Because I like my name".
Not ground breaking, but there you have it. He likes first name.[/quote]If that is the case then why is a player allowed to break tradition and use their first name on their shirt? You wouldn''t expect to see Hoolahan running around in a shirt with Wesley on it would you.[/quote]I don''t think it''s mandated that they have to put their last name on their shirt. Hernandez has a nickname on that back of his at Manchester United.

Wessi would be superb;   but plenty of south amercian players in particular have a commonly used name  on their shirtrather than their given name, 

I already type Jonas as I have a fear of ridicule of spelling his surname incorrectly

I always thought we would go for Josh and Jacob for the Murphy twins as you couldn''t even get away with J. Murphy!

I like the fact Jonas is having his first name on the shirt, and like others find it tricky spelling his surname!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Could have been worse he could have been given the number 666 and the name Scapegoat....[/quote]Give it time.....

Didn''t Jordi Cruyff have his first name on his shirt?

Presumeably to make it clear that he wasn''t Johan Cruyff (which when you saw him play, he most definitely wasn''t...)

[quote user="tele"]

Presumeably to make it clear that he wasn''t Johan Cruyff (which when you saw him play, he most definitely wasn''t...)

[/quote]Yeah I think he might have been the first player in the Premier League era to do it.Ravel Morison also has ''Ravel'' on his shirt, so it''s not a one off.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="tele"]

[/quote]Yeah I think he might have been the first player in the Premier League era to do it.Ravel Morison also has ''Ravel'' on his shirt, so it''s not a one off.[/quote]

Morison uses Ravel because he doesn''t talk or get on with his dad - so doesn''t want his name on his shirt. Makes some sense I guess.

[quote user="barclaystand"]The club announced today that Jonas Gutierrez will be squad number 15, but that his shirt will have Jonas on the back.Does anyone know the real reason why this is the case instead of it having Gutierrez on it?I await your sensible replies, and the usual witty ones, with baited breath.[/quote]

Could it be something to do with whales and sinking ships?

If that is the case then why is a player allowed to break tradition and use their first name on their shirt?

You wouldn''t expect to see Hoolahan running around in a shirt with Wesley on it would you.

------------------------------------------

brazillians do it all the time.

Oscar, Neymar, FRED. it''s not really all too uncommon.

Hope he does well and gives us something to cheer about. Inthe back of my mind I can''t shift the thought though that this is championship form as transfers go.. It''s not as if we need an old head...we recently recruited Elmander...another poor acquisition.