Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

A cautionary tale for those who want change

.. we wanted change in 1996.... forcing out Fat Bob when all looked Rosey as Walker returned..... 10 years in the championship...4 managers and mid table/avoiding Relegation...

We then got a season in the sun... under Worthington it started to go wrong.... the board wanted to Stick with their man but we were the fans! We knew better than the board... "Worthy out...." we shouted.... Things are gonna get better now...

They didnt. Safri, Etuhu, Huckerby, all departed, Grant was signing Ian Murray and Julien Brellier... he fell on his sword.... dont worry here comes Roeder!

And the fans soon became disgruntled.... we''d been Premiership a few years ago.... its our right to be there... Roeder has shipped Hucks out! Signed rubbish like Fozzy.... what does he know? Lets run him outta town!"

So we Did... because we knew better than the board.... Gunny the Club Hero.... mr Norwich City... we fans wanted him and let the board know.... what followed was relegation....but again we fans wanted to change it... lets throw season tickets.....

Lambert came... lambert went... Hughton faces pressure... pressure from the same fans who forced Chase out for a decade of crap... The fans who got Worthy sacked with a poison atmosphere and started a decline... the fans who sealed our relegation to league 1 when turning their backs on Roeder...

The fans want change again... but the past should teach us.... when we have got what we wanted its gotten worse mostly....

Perhaps we should shut up and support...

Hughton out?????

Oh, for heavens sake.Jas: the fans didn''t ''force Chase out''. Norwich City being ABOUT TO GO BANKRUPT forced him out.Give me strength, really.Beyond that: when a manager departs, it''s the board''s responsibility to get his replacement right. It isn''t the fans'' fault when those employed to make the right decisions fail to do so.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]Oh, for heavens sake.Jas: the fans didn''t ''force Chase out''. Norwich City being ABOUT TO GO BANKRUPT forced him out.Give me strength, really.[/quote]Well it''s probably been done on this board before but here goes...........The Club were not about to go bankrupt.The club was at the time asset rich cash poorAs a limited company the Club would have gone into administration.The Administrator would have had far more than enough assets to fulfill any debt claimed against the club. Worst case scenario, we may have lost a bit of land and other assets but the club could never have been made lawfully insolvent.Nearly bankrupt??? Just a story mate couldn''t have happened under English Law.

[quote user=" Zak Cartman"]Well it''s probably been done on this board before but here goes...........The Club were not about to go bankrupt.The club was at the time asset rich cash poorAs a limited company the Club would have gone into administration.The Administrator would have had far more than enough assets to fulfill any debt claimed against the club. Worst case scenario, we may have lost a bit of land and other assets but the club could never have been made lawfully insolvent.Nearly bankrupt??? Just a story mate couldn''t have happened under English Law.[/quote]Oh, so that makes it alright then. CHASE IN.I mean, honestly...

[quote user="thebigfeller"][quote user=" Zak Cartman"]Well it''s probably been done on this board before but here goes...........The Club were not about to go bankrupt.The club was at the time asset rich cash poorAs a limited company the Club would have gone into administration.The Administrator would have had far more than enough assets to fulfill any debt claimed against the club. Worst case scenario, we may have lost a bit of land and other assets but the club could never have been made lawfully insolvent.Nearly bankrupt??? Just a story mate couldn''t have happened under English Law.[/quote]Oh, so that makes it alright then. CHASE IN.I mean, honestly... [/quote]
Hahaha this is the same Chase that Martin O''neill left because, and not because of the fans. The same Chase that let Eadie go with O''neill right?
Listen to thebigfeller, he speaks sense. Anyone who thinks going into administration is acceptable... well... [:|]

I like this OP and agree with most of it, but do feel that there should always be a time when the change in management is made, and in the instance of CH genuinely believe that the Board will know exactly when this will be, they know all of the facts. The difference this time, is that the club''s general financial position and strength is way better than anytime previous, meaning (or should mean) that, should it happen, the Board have the means to go and get a high qulaity replacement.........and for me, that''s not Malkay Mackay or Michael Phelan. 

and here is some more advice never buy a house cos it might have subsidance , dry rot , lousy neighbours... never buy a car cos it might go wrong or it might get a manufactures recall or you might run out of petrol one day... don''t get married it might not work out, just stay at home and live with your parents and wait to die [:D]

"The Administrator would have had far more than enough assets to fulfill any debt claimed against the club"

The debt was £8m in 1996 money. It is very unlikely that the clubs spare land at 1996 value would have raised enough money at auction to pay off £8m of creditors. It would have meant losing Colney at least, and possibly even Carrow Road.

"The same Chase that let Eadie go with O''neill right?"

Chase didn''t sell either of those players.

But what Chase did do was sell off players to build up the capital in the business because what he really wanted was to float the club on the stock market and walk away with a lot of money.

His plan failed. It was his greed which caused it, and I''m personally glad that he failed because football clubs and the stock market don''t work out unless you are Man Utd.

These pro-Chase supporters are more than a little dim, because if he''d had his way he''d have floated the club and made a fortune, leaving us in the hands of the city.

It was never Chase or Delia, it was Delia saving us (via Watling) after a failed plan by a greedy (unt.

Going back to your original point and the reason for decline wasn''t in sacking ineffectual managers but hiring those who were little better or worse.

So yes CH needs to go but ONLY if we can hire a Lambert and not a Gunny.

Don''t want change......We want confusion!......Confusion is good!......Our Chief Exec and the board know exactly what they''re doing!

.........I think?

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Just one thing to say to you Jas ...15% and falling !

Sit down ...shut up !!! ....Please.[/quote]

If only it was 85% of carrow road and not 85% of the 40 people who read this web page!!!!

History shows that in the majority of cases change leads to disaster for us.....

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]History shows that in our recent history we''ve made some really bad appointments.[/quote]

History is a version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.Napoleon Bonaparte 1769-1821

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]History shows that in our recent history we''ve made some really bad appointments.[/quote]

There are many clubs like sheff utd weds leeds leicester forest bolton and ipswich who would swap all our "bad" appointments for where we are now!

A club no longer in debt with our most expensive and skilled squad probably ever with unlike in the past the need to sell players to make the budget balance!

However as in all good companies you need to continue to improve, like an increasing number of fans I somewhat doubt we can do this with Hughton.

FWIW I wanted Chase out and I still think that was the right decision because under him we continually had to sell our best players to fund the running of the club which is bound to end badly, sooner or later. If he had stayed we would have ended up in administration. At least since he has gone we have never been a selling club in the way we were under him - eg when we sold Eadie it was a calculated decision to realise value from an injury prone player and in hindsight the right choice.

Also FWIW I was opposed to appointing Gunn. Worth remembering we were above the relegation zone when Roeder - for all his faults - was sacked and results got worse after Gunn was appointed,

I''m very worried the current pressure from fans may end up causing us to do the same thing, bring in a new manager who is worse and get us relegated.

As the honorable Mt Brownstone eludes to above, none of the OP convinces me thatwe shouldn''t change manager. What it does prove is that it is paramount that that board appoint the correct new manager. It''s the single most important appointment the board has to make.I''m all for change so long as the board can identify and appoint an upgrade on what we have. I don''t want a change if they can''t, and they shouldn''t be sacking the manager without a decent idea of who the replacement is.Last thing we want to do is end up like Wolves did.