Sign in to follow this  
Zachariah Lovespoon

Today's verdict

I thought the manager got pretty much everything right today. Team selection, formation, tactics, even the substitutions.

We were under a little bit of pressure in the first 10 minutes but other than that I thought we controlled the game well.

Frankly if you are moaning about anything other than our finishing after that then you are on a different planet watching a different sport to me.

Great result today, couldn''t be happier, well deserved as well. What ever people think of Hughton, they can''t deny when the pressure is on he does perform and the players showed real determination. Top stuff.

Toon fan here. Watched your game and seen many this season as I''m interested to see how Hughton is getting on.

Thought yous were excellent today, controlled the game completely and if RVW was in better form you would have won comfortably.

Overall I think yous have been not as bad as made out this season, lacking confidence though and a more creative midfielder I think. Snodgrass has been out of form but looked better today too. If yous get Hooper and RVW working well at home like today then you will improve I think. Hughton is a good manager for me, give him a bit of support - he is going about things in the right way and tries to get yous playing good football which is more than can be said for a lot of managers in the league right now tbh.

Weird seeing Jonas playing for you too, he will be useful for you but don''t expect many goals or assists.

Good luck in a couple of weeks, Cabaye is in great form though!

Thanks and welcome Jonas. Very interested in Geordie/Brum fans view of CH.

Was the general consensus at St James'' Park that he was an overly cautious manager whose numer 1 priority in games was solidity before attacking flair?

[quote user="Perky Canary "]Great result today, couldn''t be happier, well deserved as well. What ever people think of Hughton, they can''t deny when the pressure is on he does perform and the players showed real determination. Top stuff.[/quote]

Agree. With the bottom half of the league the way it is, win pretty, win ugly......just win.

In terms of tactics, well, we could have played for hours and not conceded pretty easily so credit there and we created a lot of chances. Now if we''d have had two attacking outlets instead of one ie Hoolahan for one of the strikers or Redmond for Jonas and we''re told to break quicker occasionally drifting to confuse the defence we could have gotten 4 or 5 today. We did well, credit to everyone but that was very close to being another rubbish draw

Benno''s goal could be the turning point in our season - a big confidence boost plus Tettey and Pilks now back from injury and Jonas looking a useful addition and a great battler.

Not really. Used the strengths of the players we had at the time well. The play was mixed really, some good direct football and some good passing too and we had some fantastic results. 5-1 against the mackems, 6-0 against Villa, beat Arsenal away. He is quite cautious away from home usually but with inferior players to a lot of teams(no offence) that is to be expected. Was a very enjoyable time with him as our manager for me, best in years.

"Toon fan here. Watched your game"

A pink''un regular with a troll account then, why would you watch our game instead of your game if you were genuine?

If you''ve nothing to say on the thread subject le jug, why bother posting on it? Oh..because there''s nothing negative to say any you''re just a wind up merchant with no real interest in Norwich City FC other than trolling its fans

I was happy with the sub of Pilks,to help give a boost to that side,as all our attacking was coming down one wing.Well the the good bits anyway.

I was worried with the sub of Becchio,as i didn''t think it would change anything.At the time it was a like for like sub,and it felt like we could have played all night with that formation and not scored. Very happy to be proved wrong on that account.He livened up the attacking play adding a bit of impetus.

Fer was a strange one today.Some bits great.Some passes awful.

RVW another one.Poor in front of the box,but some brilliant defensive work.He needs a goal as the old cliche goes.

Very good win overall and we played both halves just as well instead of only 45 minutes,but our attacking play still needs work.My frustration got the better of me sometimes and my neighbours have probably learnt a few new swearwords. Just don''t blow it with a poor game next time out. 

[quote user="Zachariah Lovespoon"]When you''re controlling the game and getting plenty of chances is there a real need for a tactical change which might just disrupt the flow if the game? My opinion is no.[/quote]

When your looking like your not going to score in a million years at home to a very average side, in my opinion, you need to change something. Unless of cause it''s more important to avoid defeat then win.

That''s it really Herman, we need it to continue into the next one. Hopefully a bit more game time for hooper & RVW will have done them some good partnership wise and a bit of match fitness for pilks, plenty of chances created & a clean sheet. Lots of positives if one cares to look for them. & hopefully Tetty back in contention for the next game

We deserved win and I continue to be against sacking him, even more so now we finish 12th with a 5pt gap to the bottom 3.

however we were being outplayed until they changed the game in our favour, when bruce changed their formation with their cb sub and went 4 at the back. From then on we dominated as huddlestone was no longer the +1 in centre mid.

Again, not attractive but good enough to get the 3 points. Its what we will continue to grind out until may and safety.

I think Hughton got both sub right today.

Becchio is far more suitable for being "the advanced CB in last minutes" type player when opponent is sitting deep as Hull did.

And with us dictating the pace of game Pilkington brought that little bit extra creativity in the last third.

Decent game from the lads even thought I still dont agree with this 4-4-2. Makes us look worse than we are.

Thought we were okay today whilst being far from brillaint. I thought Hull were shocking to be honest. The better team won although we still didn''t create an awful lot. 25 shots and only 4 on target says it all. Tougher tests ahead and I still think Hughton needs to go. Genuinely look at the fixtures and struggle to see us winning any of the next 5/6 on current form. So it''s a huge result for now and the table looks a lot better tonight but still an awful lot to be concerned about.

[quote user="Zachariah Lovespoon"]Whist I agree that a tactical change is needed if you''re not creating chances, the fact is we created loads today. The finishing may have been poor but that''s not a tactical issue[/quote]

Sorry have to disagree. We barely created any clear cut, goal scoring, opportunities.

Rollesby wrote

in terms of tactics, well, we could have played for hours and not conceded pretty easily so credit there and we created a lot of chances. Now if we''d have had two attacking outlets instead of one ie Hoolahan for one of the strikers or Redmond for Jonas and we''re told to break quicker occasionally drifting to confuse the defence we could have gotten 4 or 5 today. We did well, credit to everyone but that was very close to being another rubbish draw

True. It was 1-0 after all.

No problem with you disagreeing, so no need to appolgise. You''re right about clear cut chances, we didn''t have any one on ones or a missed tap in from a cross for instance. But we did have plenty of half chances, blocked shots in & around the penalty area, headers etc . More than enough to win a game comfortably on a good day ( however infrequent )