Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Defence Were Outstanding

They may struggle vs the big boys, but how often has that defence dug us some points out? Russell Martin was in particular top class.

I thought Bennett was strong both in defense and attack today. He and Johnson have both grown on me of late. Bassong not so much.. Martin looks every bit the captain, leading to talk in the huddle and playing by example.

I''m agreeing with Stan - defence was generally poor today. Bennet and Martin were ok, olsenn was innefective and bumbling bassong was his normal error strewn self.The only reason they got a clean sheet was the fact that we had most of the possession - credit to Norwich.An immaculate center back is still a must have in this transfer window.

Hard to say outstanding, because they were barely troubled beyond the first 10 minutes in which they looked incredibly shaky. Having said that, overall I think they did well and comfortably dealt with Hull''s limited attack after that initial spell. Bassong looked SLIGHTLY better, Olsson OK, Bennett is still improving and glad to see him rewarded with a goal and Martin was really good again, but we mostly saw him in an attacking sense today - He does an excellent job in maintain gin our width with Snodgrass always coming inside. I think that is our best back four at the moment, but much tougher tests lie ahead where they will really earn their money as defenders.

[quote user="iron_stan"]what game were you watching!?!? we looked shakey at the back and were nearly 2 down after 4 minutes[/quote]

How can you be "nearly 2-0" down before going 1-0 down first? Clutching at straws there. Some posters here are just totally obsessive in their negativity towards the manager.

Great performance by Bassong, reminding everybody why they rated him so highly last season and why he won player of the season.

Just wish he could start playing like that every week again.

Didn''t have much to defend against as Hull parked the bus.

Snoddy a better candidate for MOTM. Olsson pick of the defence.

[quote user="iron_stan"]what game were you watching!?!? we looked shakey at the back and were nearly 2 down after 4 minutes[/quote]

Always looking for a negative - enjoy the win ffs

I have to agree with those who thought the defence was shakey, particularly in the first half. Ruddy didn''t have to make a save, but that was mainly dull to Hull''s strikers being pretty poor, but there were numerous ocasions when our defence allowed Hull too much space and failed to deal with some easy balls.Moo

I agree, Martin had a few shockers in the 1st half. Bennett had to covet him a few times!

[quote user="Le Juge"]Great performance by Bassong, reminding everybody why they rated him so highly last season and why he won player of the season.

Just wish he could start playing like that every week again.[/quote]You think??????Really??????

Agree with that.Were we genuinely after him? Would have been a great addition if so.

"You think?????? Really??????"

In the second half mainly, didn''t put a foot wrong in the second half and looked very composed.

Our whole back five grew into the game, but they were excellent second half.

Lets be honest here our defence didn''t really have much to do, Hull didn''t even have a shot on target.
The defence did their job and were solid, but I wouldn''t exactly call it outstanding.

I assumed that you meant Hull. Bruce, Davies etc were brave today. Although we were predictable going to the wings and a cross they put bodies in the way and nearly got away with a draw.

Agree that other than ten or so shaky minutes at the start the back four were very good today.....chalk and cheese compared to mid week when we lost our shape and organisation totally. BUt its amazing how some of us see such different games, Bassong today in particular!

[quote user="Le Juge"]"You think?????? Really??????"

In the second half mainly, didn''t put a foot wrong in the second half and looked very composed.

Our whole back five grew into the game, but they were excellent second half.[/quote]Yeah I particularly liked the bit when he let the ball go over his head when there were 2 attackers and poor Bennet behind him, and those forrays into the attacking 3rd, losing the ball and being hopelessly out of position.But he was better today than other games this season, so fingers crossed.

First 10 mins they were shocking and we probably should have been 2-0 down and every time bassong tries to bring it forward he looks like he''s gonna lose it other then that not much for them to do

I agree with you Mark (Dubai) how people see the game differently. Bennett was immense today, didn''t miss a thing (before the corner came across at the end I commented to my mate that it would be great for him to round of a MOM performance with a goal!! ;-) )

Olsson was very good and Martin solid, but Bassong?

Pleeeeease!! I am a huge fan but yet again the weak link. Yes he made a few timely challenges but the number of times he gave the ball straight to the opposition?? He needs to lose the burden of captaincy. Surely this must be the reason his game has deteriorated so badly this year.

When Turner is fit it had better not be Bennett that makes way.

[quote user="GJP"]Bennett always plays well when he has got nobody to mark.[/quote]

Oh, so who did he win EVERY header against today, nobody?

But it''s fair to say Hull didn''t play with too much ambition. They kept men behind the ball and there was little support to Jelavic. If we can''t turn in a decent defensive showing against that then when will we?

Credit to the defence for doing their job but that''s as far as it goes.

And yeah, Bennett''s better performances tend to be in these types of games. Unlike last week where he made costly mistakes against a more dangerous side.