Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Has ambition given way to financial security?

At the AGM the chairman said that, in line with the club''s policy of seeking continuous improvement, the target this season is to finish 10th or higher following last season''s 11th place finish.

Now the CE is telling us that a 17th place finish would be fulfilling the board''s remit to the manager of staying out of the bottom three.

Whilst I see the financial benefit of finishing at least 17th I hope this doesn''t mean that the board hasn''t lost its sense of ambition for the development of the club.

There''s usually a difference between target (10th), and minimum requirement (17th).

If his target was to finish 10th and we finished 11th it would be pretty harsh to sack him, 19th however...

I''m not saying the manager should be sacked if we don''t finish 10th. Yes we are 3 points off 10th and we are also 2 points off the bottom three so no comfort there at this stage.

If we want to be competitive then surely first and foremost we have to be financially stable. Staying in this league is our upmost priority every season. No one is safe from it below the top 8. Just ask charlton, Pompey, Bolton.

If we can add a little bit of quality then the escape game can get a little easier, but the spectre relegation is always there!! We will never compete in this league, best we can ever hope for is 10-8th and a minor cup. Pessimistic yes, realistic yes.

This whole ''continuous improvement'' thing; does that mean in ten years or less we have to be champions? At what point are we allowed to not be improving anymore? If we were to finish higher year-on-year for the next two or three seasons, would some fans on here still whine the first season we finish lower than the last? At what point is it acceptable to not be improving anymore?

The nail has been hit on the head that the target, which is usually the maximum realistic aim, is 10th, but that shouldn''t mean that the manager has failed or should be sacked if we finish 11th or 12th.

We are in our third season back. We are still relative newcomers. It''s a process of gradual improvement. We clearly have the best squad of players and highest wage budget we''ve had in 20 years, but nevertheless we are still among the real minnows of this division. In my view, improving the playing squad each season should be our main objective because everything else follows from that and it''s a long-term achievable target.