Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

To the Gutierrez haters

I actually quite liked the way he played. He wan''t particularly flashy, but he''s able to use his upper body strength to full effect and get others in the game. Having someone who is both able to play that narrow and is so defensively responsible makes it possible to play a 4-4-2 as he often acts as an auxiliary central-midfielder meaning you don''t get outnumbered in the centre.

[quote user="lowlyfendweller"]A good signing, will allow us to use Redmond, who needed a rest today, in sharp attacking bursts from the bench.[/quote]
Or it will allow for him to play wide on the right, almost like an out-and-out winger in a 4-3-3 as Jonas'' defensive responsibility and natural positioning tends to make the side look like they''re playing an lopsided 4-3-3 anyway.

He did look very strong on the ball, also good at challenging in the air, provides something different for us and had a very good first game.

What I like about Gutierrez is that he''s solid, but with Olsson we still have pace down the left. Which frees up Redmond to play on the right, and give us pace, and a change from Snodders.At last we have balance and pace on both flanks! And maybe our frontmen might get a better service!!

Can''t believe people were slating him on the match thread. I thought he did ok for a player who''s quite ring rusty (no double entendre intended!)He looks to be quite a clever player - and football intelligence is something that we are lacking.

His performance was just what i expected. Nice and solid, good work rate and some nice simple bits of composed play, but to be honest not much going forward in terms of a goal threat or creating chances. But to be fair most of our play did go down the right, so he didn''t see much of it anyway.

If Newcastle can afford to let players like him leave on loan then we should go back for a few more!

Had an amazing game, shame he went off for Pilk''s substitution. Reminded me of Holty when he was smashing through their players.....Also didn''t go down like a lot of players do now.

Quality signing!

As I said already in those negative threads about him, he just is better builded for that 4-4-2 we are now playing.

Made quite much difference in midfield at the start of the game were we really normaly struggle to get the posession.

He wont be much of an attacking threat for us I think, but will give us more composure on midfield an bring some freedom for our second centre midfielder.

Good solid performance from him.

He''s ok. A decent addition to the squad in that he looks strong and kept the ball pretty well.

My only real concern though is that he is another winger who is not that quick and comes inside a lot and I can see him getting picked quite regularly ahead of Pilks and Redmond. That would be a shame in my opinion.

I have a feeling Gutierrez is going to be that leader we need around the club, on and off the pitch.

Agree with what most posters have said. A very good shift, compact, efficient, balanced and unnervy.