Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Hull

The best thing about this winter is that it hasn''t been cold enough yet for me to don my thermal long johns( 12 quid from M&S). So on a fairly mild January day with the pitch still in a good state it promised to be ideal conditions for Chris Hughton''s latest showdown with the Grim Reaper. City appeared to set up in a 4-4-2 formation with Hooper and RVW up front and two banks of four. Gutierrez came in on the left flank and Martin replaced Whit''s at right back.Hull began with a bit of a flourish and Koren was allowed to run free before squaring perfectly for Jelavic, only for the ex Everton striker to guide it against the post when it seemed a simple tap in. It was an early wake up call but we didn''t know then that it was about as close as Hull would come to scoring all afternoon. The game was fairly scrappy early on with RVW and Snoddy both firing wide with first time efforts from the right of the box. As we came up to ten minutes there was a real chance when Snoddy''s header across goal fell slightly behind Ricky who swiveled well but could only scuff it wide from six yards.City were finding it hard to work up a head of steam as Hull were defending quite deep and anyone who looked remotely like breaking free was subject to a pull or tug. Consequently a few free kicks were coming into the box but none could pick out a yellow shirt. In one really nice move Snoddy struck a beauty from 25 yards and although it swerved late, McGregor was equal to it. There was some nice quick passing and movement between the front two but it was easy to see the nervousness and frustration building up as City couldn''t quite turn their dominance into a goal.To their credit, the crowd were playing their part and were noisier than in a long time with only a few groans when passes were misplaced or moves broke down. The fabled "Hughton Out" protest was conspicuous but it''s absence. Gutierrez was showing up well and looks a strong and competent player in the typical Argentinian mold. City had indeed looked the better side but we''ve seen that before only to end up without our just deserts.City opened the second half with plenty of energy and sustained pressure. A couple of corners and a low cross that flashed beyond everyone but nothing that looked like a clear cut chance. Hull were receiving a steady stream of bookings as fouls continued to spoil City''s forward momentum and when they did get the ball into the box the City strikers could not beat the first blocker. You could sense the tension in the crowd and it transmitted to the players as play became scrappy again.With twenty minutes left Pilks came on for Gutierrez who received generous applause for a good hardworking debut. Hooper slammed a 30 yarder just over but most of City''s attacks were beginning to have an air of desperation about them. Hull were offering nothing and had long ago set their stall out to hang on for a point. Ricky departed for Becchio with ten minutes left and he almost laid on a chance for Hooper who broke from deep before a couple of quick passes almost freed him inside the Hull box. Constant pressure mounted on the visitors goal and only desperate defending kept City at bay. It seemed a goal would never come, and then suddenly it did. Snoddy at last supplied the perfect corner and there was Bennett to crash home a powerful header from about 8 yards. The roof came off the stand and the relief everywhere was palpable. After an initial leap for joy, Ricardo sat stunned for a while as the players danced a jig. It''s all starting to get a little too much for me to take. All that was left was for Huddlestone to see red and 3 points were in the bag.So the table looks a little better tonight although I expect there will be several more high and low points before this roller coaster comes to rest. Hooper is my MOM, he was superb throughout in his link play and a bother to the Hull defence all afternoon. Also good marks for Snoddy who battled all game and eventually his quality shone through. It was a hard struggle but we deserved the points and got them and that hasn''t always been the case this season.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"]The best thing about this winter is that it hasn''t been cold enough yet for me to don my thermal long johns( 12 quid from M&S). So on a fairly mild January day with the pitch still in a good state it promised to be ideal conditions for Chris Hughton''s latest showdown with the Grim Reaper. City appeared to set up in a 4-4-2 formation with Hooper and RVW up front and two banks of four. Gutierrez came in on the left flank and Martin replaced Whit''s at right back.Hull began with a bit of a flourish and Koren was allowed to run free before squaring perfectly for Jelavic, only for the ex Everton striker to guide it against the post when it seemed a simple tap in. It was an early wake up call but we didn''t know then that it was about as close as Hull would come to scoring all afternoon. The game was fairly scrappy early on with RVW and Snoddy both firing wide with first time efforts from the right of the box. As we came up to ten minutes there was a real chance when Snoddy''s header across goal fell slightly behind Ricky who swiveled well but could only scuff it wide from six yards.City were finding it hard to work up a head of steam as Hull were defending quite deep and anyone who looked remotely like breaking free was subject to a pull or tug. Consequently a few free kicks were coming into the box but none could pick out a yellow shirt. In one really nice move Snoddy struck a beauty from 25 yards and although it swerved late, McGregor was equal to it. There was some nice quick passing and movement between the front two but it was easy to see the nervousness and frustration building up as City couldn''t quite turn their dominance into a goal.To their credit, the crowd were playing their part and were noisier than in a long time with only a few groans when passes were misplaced or moves broke down. The fabled "Hughton Out" protest was conspicuous but it''s absence. Gutierrez was showing up well and looks a strong and competent player in the typical Argentinian mold. City had indeed looked the better side but we''ve seen that before only to end up without our just deserts.City opened the second half with plenty of energy and sustained pressure. A couple of corners and a low cross that flashed beyond everyone but nothing that looked like a clear cut chance. Hull were receiving a steady stream of bookings as fouls continued to spoil City''s forward momentum and when they did get the ball into the box the City strikers could not beat the first blocker. You could sense the tension in the crowd and it transmitted to the players as play became scrappy again.With twenty minutes left Pilks came on for Gutierrez who received generous applause for a good hardworking debut. Hooper slammed a 30 yarder just over but most of City''s attacks were beginning to have an air of desperation about them. Hull were offering nothing and had long ago set their stall out to hang on for a point. Ricky departed for Becchio with ten minutes left and he almost laid on a chance for Hooper who broke from deep before a couple of quick passes almost freed him inside the Hull box. Constant pressure mounted on the visitors goal and only desperate defending kept City at bay. It seemed a goal would never come, and then suddenly it did. Snoddy at last supplied the perfect corner and there was Bennett to crash home a powerful header from about 8 yards. The roof came off the stand and the relief everywhere was palpable. After an initial leap for joy, Ricardo sat stunned for a while as the players danced a jig. It''s all starting to get a little too much for me to take. All that was left was for Huddlestone to see red and 3 points were in the bag.So the table looks a little better tonight although I expect there will be several more high and low points before this roller coaster comes to rest. Hooper is my MOM, he was superb throughout in his link play and a bother to the Hull defence all afternoon. Also good marks for Snoddy who battled all game and eventually his quality shone through. It was a hard struggle but we deserved the points and got them and that hasn''t always been the case this season.[;)][/quote]Hooper was brilliant today.Brilliant.

Hooper was very good from an hour or so into the game. Before that RVW was the better of the two, by a distance.

Hoops looks to have a low centre of gravity, holds the ball so well and is also quick to turn, we have got a real gem there, Ricky and Hoops could become a real big partnership for us.

Nice read. Snodgrass just shaded it for me for MOM, mainly because when we others seem a little nervous he always gets on the ball and looks confident, frustrating at times but I admire his can do attitude even when he''s out of form which sometimes reflects badly on him.

[quote user="GJP"]Hooper was very good from an hour or so into the game. Before that RVW was the better of the two, by a distance.[/quote]

I have to admit I saw it that way too. Hooper wasn''t involved in a lot of note in todays game, but what he did do he did simply and well.

Thanks Ricardo - would you recommend the M and S Long Johns?I''m glad someone else thought Snodgrass played well - everybody around me was moaning about him again - we must see different games!

[quote user=" Badger"]Thanks Ricardo - would you recommend the M and S Long Johns?I''m glad someone else thought Snodgrass played well - everybody around me was moaning about him again - we must see different games![/quote]Absolutely superb Badger. Mrs Ricardo bought them for me a couple of seasons back. Plenty of use last year in the cold weather but so this season far too warm to wear them. February to get through yet though, so still time.[Y]

Thanks Ricardo a good report and portrayed nicely what I saw today on what was a clear stream but one that crashed a few times, really am missing my afternoons at Carrow Road at the moment. Hooper was great today and has been for a few matches now, he really is our sort of player if you know what I mean, but I was disappointed in RVW who missed a relatively easy chance and who I feel must be a little braver....that said we must stick with him as its going to happen, just know it is! For me Snoddy edged MOM but as you know you dont get that match view to truly assess players if you are not at the actual game. Also thought that Bassong had a very good game although there are some opposite views elsewhere on this board. I felt similar about Jonas too, considering his lack of matches that was a very decent start. The crowd really did sound twitchy on the stream, really noticeable. A BIG...no HUGE three points today and hopefully the nerves will be a little calmer for Newcastle.....OTBC

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Thanks Ricardo a good report and portrayed nicely what I saw today on what was a clear stream but one that crashed a few times, really am missing my afternoons at Carrow Road at the moment. Hooper was great today and has been for a few matches now, he really is our sort of player if you know what I mean, but I was disappointed in RVW who missed a relatively easy chance and who I feel must be a little braver....that said we must stick with him as its going to happen, just know it is! For me Snoddy edged MOM but as you know you dont get that match view to truly assess players if you are not at the actual game. Also thought that Bassong had a very good game although there are some opposite views elsewhere on this board. I felt similar about Jonas too, considering his lack of matches that was a very decent start. The crowd really did sound twitchy on the stream, really noticeable. A BIG...no HUGE three points today and hopefully the nerves will be a little calmer for Newcastle.....OTBC[/quote]I didn''t give it to Snoddy because a few of his crosses were wayward but in every other respect he gave  100% and went close a couple of times with decent efforts. For me Hooper was top class today. He was all over the pitch offering himself as an outlet and linked up superbly well. I agree he is our sort of player and I freely admit that he looks a far better player than I was expecting him to be. There are goals in that front two of Hooper and Ricky if only CH sticks with it.At the back Bassong blew hot and cold. Mostly hot but tends to dwell a bit on the ball. I can do without being made nervous in these tight games. The other thing I should have mentioned is that after a shaky first few minutes Russell Martin settled down and looked an improvement on Whittaker.

Nice read as always Ricardo. For me Bennett was easily MOM, even before his goal. He didn''t miss a thing the whole match and seems the only one willing to run into a space in front of him instead of passing sideways (Seb). Hoops showed some lovely touches and link up play as usual. Jonas seemed very quiet for the first 15-20 mins, as if he was sussing everyone out, and then grew into the game and was, I thought, superb. Very solid on the ball and didn''t give it away.

Olsson and Martin both very good and Jonno his usual unpredictable self, often superb and equally often woeful. The fact that Ruddy could have brought an armchair into the 6 yard box shows how poor Hull were so it is worrying that we still cannot put teams like this away a whole lot earlier. I did, along with a large percentage of the crowd by the sound of it, think that the game was tailor made for Wes, in the hole behind Hoops, in place of Ricky whose confidence seems shot.

I thought everyone played quite well but without actually doing anything outstanding until we scored. Little creativity, lots of potshots, crosses not finding anyone - in fact, the usual.

It''s funny how one goal can make such a huge difference.If Bennett hadn''t scored, we''d all be crucifying the management still.

We''ve solved nothing, really. If we don''t up it by at least 50% Newcastle will murder us.

I''m sure we''ll stay up, but only because there are so many poor teams in the PL.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]Thanks Ricardo a good report and portrayed nicely what I saw today on what was a clear stream but one that crashed a few times, really am missing my afternoons at Carrow Road at the moment. Hooper was great today and has been for a few matches now, he really is our sort of player if you know what I mean, but I was disappointed in RVW who missed a relatively easy chance and who I feel must be a little braver....that said we must stick with him as its going to happen, just know it is! For me Snoddy edged MOM but as you know you dont get that match view to truly assess players if you are not at the actual game. Also thought that Bassong had a very good game although there are some opposite views elsewhere on this board. I felt similar about Jonas too, considering his lack of matches that was a very decent start. The crowd really did sound twitchy on the stream, really noticeable. A BIG...no HUGE three points today and hopefully the nerves will be a little calmer for Newcastle.....OTBC[/quote]I didn''t give it to Snoddy because a few of his crosses were wayward but in every other respect he gave  100% and went close a couple of times with decent efforts. For me Hooper was top class today. He was all over the pitch offering himself as an outlet and linked up superbly well. I agree he is our sort of player and I freely admit that he looks a far better player than I was expecting him to be. There are goals in that front two of Hooper and Ricky if only CH sticks with it.At the back Bassong blew hot and cold. Mostly hot but tends to dwell a bit on the ball. I can do without being made nervous in these tight games. The other thing I should have mentioned is that after a shaky first few minutes Russell Martin settled down and looked an improvement on Whittaker.[/quote]

Snoddy was my MOM Rickyyy. But Hooper, Bennett and Johnson ran him close.

Some random thoughts.

3 points has made the world a better place

RVW is now, officially, starting to worry me. He was poor today. To many times he wasn’t first to the ball. Not sure.

BJ had great energy, solid and worth his place all day long. I counted three poor passes. I’ll give him those.

Hooper is class.

Fer looks off the pace.

Maybe Becchio CAN give us plan B, we certainly hit it longer and towards the goal rather than the rather pointless pass onto Snoddy’s head . Which I simply do not understand.

Ryan Bennett is better than Turner.  

I’m not convinced by Hughton but 10/10 for resisting the calls for Wes. Changing a poor RVW for Becchio was the better option.

We deserved it today.

Russ must have covered 13k today.

Hull were Cr@p

Doubt we’ll see Whitts again.

Great to see Pilks back. The General did OK too.

Cheers Ricardo, good report as always. I have to agree with some of the others that Snodgrass just shaded motm for me. I thought Hooper was excellent once again though, been our best buy this year.

Thought RVW looked class at times, good movement, great little touches, he just looks devoid of confidence in front of goal.

Only real concern from the game for me was for all our domination and shots, only three were on target. I''m not sure if that''s a testament to Hulls defending and closing down or our inability to create clear cut chances?

Makes me laugh that people are imagining that RVW was poor to fit their agenda. Looked excellent at times yesterday.

Good report as usual Ricardo.

Personally, I thought RVW did better than Hooper but each to his own. The partnership is showing promise.

In order for the 4-4-2 to work we need Howson back. We lack creativity otherwise.

I haven''t been impressed by RVW at all this season, but I felt it was beginning to click against Hull.

I think he was seeing more of the ball, perhaps because Jonas brought more stability down the left and more service was getting through to Ricky, whereas with Redmond either the final cross is too wayward or he tries a shot on himself.

There''s still a lot better to come,