Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

did hull sum up whats wrong with the premier league?

Its no secret that the bottom half of the league is so close. We used to be told that it was the best league in the world was the premier league. But as a neutral wanting to watch football surely the best league in the world is the championship?

Today we saw a typical away performance. Hull came here perfectly happy to take a 0-0 draw. This led to a dominant team unable to break another team down. They were happy to waste time from the first minute in order to frustrate for as long as possible and as time went on it looked like an inevitable 0-0 draw. But, its no different to what we did at Sunderland. And lets not forget, Chelsea were happy to do the same at Man Utd and Arsenal earlier this season. It leads to huge numbers of home fans getting frustrated at matches - we pay money to watch football after all. The money on offer for staying in the league is huge, but its led to a situation where not losing is almost as important as winning. The more teams that are fighting to stay in the league leads to more performances like Hulls today. Or cardiffs, Swansea etc here, our our performances at Sunderland or Palace. Its killing the enjoyment of the game, i want to see 2 teams go at it for the win from the 1st minute but unfortunately 1 team is too busy trying not to lose. At least the championship its almost impossible to predict each game

People (not the original poster here mid you) are critiscising our performance and the result today, yet, we have beaten Hull. The same Hull who stick 6 past Fulham recently. And while it was only Fulham, how did we get on against them?

In reply to the original post, if we were the dominating team, the problem with Hughton''s coaching and style is that a top quality team is to be able to switch tactics during a game when Plan A isnt working rather than flogging a dead horse which we seem to be doing....

Lets just try and find any reason why we won rather than giving credit to the manager and the players.

I think its been this way for some seasons now, but there is a real mix of games still.....sure there are some games that dont get you off your seat, but I actually find a lot of the more cagey and defensive games interesting too. But yes, the money is a huge factor isnt it. Oh,and I thought Hull were decent today in terms of organisation and energy.

For me it is the natural conclusion of the Premier League to find half of the teams separated by so few points. Interestingly Jose Mourinho did not have good things to say about the Spanish League, he felt the whole season revolved around Real Madrid versus Barca and made a point about Madrid posting 92 points and finishing as runners up, so i would say the Premiership is no worse thany of the other major European leagues.....

Hull are no better than any of the rest of the bottom ten. They will be in the mix at the death despite a good start. It wouldn''t surprise me to see them finish below us.

Was thinking about this at the game it seems anybody outside the top 8 are happy to come to carrow road and take a 0-0,1 thing that annoys me alot is the time wasting by all of these teams I pay to watch football not for someone to take ages on a goalkick, freekick and throwins and I just don''t get the lack of sportsmanship in the game anymore when we or the other team has a freekick the other team are not aloud to pass the ball back to them instead gotta leave it or kick it further away I think the fa should get more stricked on time wasting IMO it ruins the game

Has it ever been much different though? Did teams like Wimbledon etc. not do the same thing back in the day?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]

Its no secret that the bottom half of the league is so close. We used to be told that it was the best league in the world was the premier league. But as a neutral wanting to watch football surely the best league in the world is the championship?

Today we saw a typical away performance. Hull came here perfectly happy to take a 0-0 draw. This led to a dominant team unable to break another team down. They were happy to waste time from the first minute in order to frustrate for as long as possible and as time went on it looked like an inevitable 0-0 draw. But, its no different to what we did at Sunderland. And lets not forget, Chelsea were happy to do the same at Man Utd and Arsenal earlier this season. It leads to huge numbers of home fans getting frustrated at matches - we pay money to watch football after all. The money on offer for staying in the league is huge, but its led to a situation where not losing is almost as important as winning. The more teams that are fighting to stay in the league leads to more performances like Hulls today. Or cardiffs, Swansea etc here, our our performances at Sunderland or Palace. Its killing the enjoyment of the game, i want to see 2 teams go at it for the win from the 1st minute but unfortunately 1 team is too busy trying not to lose. At least the championship its almost impossible to predict each game

[/quote]

YES, I loved watching championship football.

What is so wrong about trying to win your home games, and keep it tight away from home?

[quote user="morty"]What is so wrong about trying to win your home games, and keep it tight away from home?[/quote]

because, as we saw today for 85mins today, against cardiff, against swansea, when chelsea played man utd & arsenal, when we went away to sunderland & palace games descend into borefests of team with lots of possesion but constantly banging their head against a brick wall as they fail to break a team down, the other team happy just to hoof the ball as far away from goal as possible

this was in no way directly related to norwich, more the league as a whole. i have nothing against keeping it tight away from home, but remember vorm & marshalls timewasting? thats not keeping it tight, thats just anti-football

[quote user="morty"]What is so wrong about trying to win your home games, and keep it tight away from home?[/quote]

In theory, nothing wrong with that idea. In practice, when set up defensively to keep it tight if we concede goals we are then set up wrong to push for equaliser/winning goals