Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Overall performance, passion, determination, team spirit and huddle

Having read most of the posts on here tonight, I thought I would raise a couple of points, which don’t seem to have had much airtime.

IMO Hull didn’t get much of a look in because we didn’t allow it. The last time we played this well was against Man Utd and there was one common denominator, Russ Martin at RB and being allowed to, or choosing to, get forward. I didn’t count but I think he made more crosses from the byline than our winger (Snoddy) and very rarely wasted a ball. Would have been my MOTM alongside Bennett, if Ryan Bennett hadn’t popped up with the winner.

I thought Seb Bassong played with more passion today and did some very good things but also made one or two unforced errors. Snoddy, better but left Martin exposed a couple of times when he shouldn’t have done, very pleased to see less of the whinging and moaning.

Becchio coming on made a difference, put much more pressure on their CB’s and won balls in the air. I would start with him and Hooper next game and let’s see what develops.

Jonas, considering he’s only been here for a couple of day looked like he could be what we need to add some muscle.

However my overriding feeling was we played with more passion, determination and team spirit, epitomised by the team huddle after the goal, which I am reliably informed was instigated by Russ Martin, who in my opinion should be our captain, but that’s another thread.

As I''ve said on another thread, Hull got men behind the ball and didn''t particularly commit numbers forward. Our 4 man defence basically just had Jelavic to deal with all game.

I thought Olsson, if any of them, was the strongest contender for MOTM. But given Hull''s lack of ambition going forward MOTM for me would have to go to someone who did more to cause Hull problems.

Which is why I''d go for Snodgrass. He was a constant thorn in their side and even if he didn''t get his final ball right he was a real worry for them. And of course he did supply the ball for the goal.

RVW worked very hard to link up play all across the pitch and when he tired a bit in the second half Hooper came into it more and played excellently for the last half hour.

Becchio to start over RVW next game? Nah. Miles and miles out.

GJP,

I suspect Becchio won''t start but if CH was me he would start. Yes I think Snoddy was busy but still feel he could deliver more end product given the amount of the ball he sees. Hull didn''t get men behind the ball for the first 10 minutes or so but had to as we took control and attacked them down the flanks. And in an attempt to give my opinion some gravitas the team I predicted in the Team for Saturday thread was;.

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Bennett Olsson

Snodgrass Johnson Fer Gutierrez

Hooper RvW

Does this mean I am CH???

Agree overall with the OP. I certainly think Bechio deserves to start next game. he is a skilful footballer with a good first touch and has a deceptive upper body strength.

I thought Hooper''s eyes opened wide when Bechio came on. They were on the same wave length.

I would dare to ask, would we have won if not for Bechios''s presence?

Finally his defensive headers have been brilliant the few times he''s played.

Whilst Snoddy is frustrating at times and in the first half typified his recent performances, in the second half he worked his sporran off.

I admit Hughton is not for me but three valuable points

and my voice is hoarse

Yeah. Hull caught us out down our right side at the start. They wouldn''t be the first team to do that.

We won and we deserved to win but I think it''d be sticking your head in the sand to think Hull weren''t generally intending to get men behind the ball.

I think Becchio is unlucky not to have featured a bit more but to drop RVW for him after today would be scandalous.

Snoddy was tireless today, and links up better with Martin than Witts.He gets into great positions, but only got one decent ball in the box (not loopy, good pace and right in the middle of the goal just outside the 6yd box). Has he not noticed that none of the world class wingers cross like that very often. He could do it if he wanted, he''s a talented player with great technical ability, he''s just always aiming for the far post. If he starts getting more balls like that into the box we''d start getting more out of our 25 chances on target. Here''s hoping he pushes on, now he''s got that elusive assist! COYY!!!

I think the huddle was an indication that the players are not happy with the attitude of the fans who grumble and call for the manager''s head. Bennett and Snodgrass indicated that in their interviews.

Nor did Olsson, is he off too? In fact CH had called him over and by the look on his face he realised he was missing out.

It was a pre-planned event to ensure they re-focused as a team.

Great to see proactivie leadership and team spirit on the field.

[quote user="GJP"]

Yeah. Hull caught us out down our right side at the start. They wouldn''t be the first team to do that.

We won and we deserved to win but I think it''d be sticking your head in the sand to think Hull weren''t generally intending to get men behind the ball.

I think Becchio is unlucky not to have featured a bit more but to drop RVW for him after today would be scandalous.

[/quote]

They caught us out because Snodrass didn''t track his man.

H

GJP,

Scandalous, not to start Becchio, so say I and many other posters.

Football = a game of differing opinions, don''t you just love it?

Whoever starts, let''s hope we are on an winning and improving run in to the end of the season and our last four opponents will view their fixtures against us with trepidation.

Not remotely scandalous to start Becchio with Hoops. RvW is really searching for form now, snatching at shots, rushing. I do think he''ll come good but how much time do you give him before you let someone else in?The real scandal is how much time RvW is being given vs how much time Becchio has been given.

[quote user="a1canary"]Not remotely scandalous to start Becchio with Hoops. RvW is really searching for form now, snatching at shots, rushing. I do think he''ll come good but how much time do you give him before you let someone else in?The real scandal is how much time RvW is being given vs how much time Becchio has been given.[/quote]And dropping RVW will help him?He has a future at this club, Becchio doesn''t.Think back to Iwan''s first season.

Dont be so sure about RvW''s future! I hope he stays and comes good I really do but he won''t put up with another season like this and will return to Europe almost certainly if things dont improve for him.Sometimes players need dropping, if only for a game or two. He looks too frustrated to me, needs a short time out. Becchio meantime deserves a proper chance, couple of full games.

[quote user="a1canary"]Dont be so sure about RvW''s future! I hope he stays and comes good I really do but he won''t put up with another season like this and will return to Europe almost certainly if things dont improve for him.Sometimes players need dropping, if only for a game or two. He looks too frustrated to me, needs a short time out. Becchio meantime deserves a proper chance, couple of full games.[/quote]Dropping RVW really isn''t the answer, it really isn''t.

Morty,

Dropping RvW may not be the answer but selecting Bechio could be, especially if we continue to play the style of football we do. Not saying RvW won''t come good but we don''t have the luxury of allowing another half a season to find his feet.

My boyhood team was Chelsea, having been born there before anyone says anything, so I still follow their fortunes and go and see the odd game (will I get banned from this board now?) and Drogba in his first season was awful and look how he tunred out, but Chelsea had time on their hands, we perhaps don''t.

there is no reason why Beccio can''t have a future here!

Give the guy a chance, RVW really doesn''t look like the top class striker that we all expected, however many excuses are made on his behalf!