Sign in to follow this  
Nigels Nuts

holts on

Why so quick to slag him off, he was a hero here and without him we would not be in the Prem.

He has looked ok to me since he came on

I don''t see the need for hating ex players (Holty, Ashton, Green etc), they did a great job for us so be thankful that happened.

I for one hope to see Holty back at FCR so he can be thanked for the seasons we had him.

......I just hope he doesn''t put any goals past Ruddy!

Just watched Holt play pretty well for half an hour against Liverpool, probably had more touches in that half an hour than RVW has in 180 minutes.

He would have done a job here. Put in a couple of crosses, tried a couple of through balls, wasn''t scared of taking the ball from throw ins, got himself in the box. A couple of rusty touches but generally looked decent.

I miss him, and he''s still got a bit left in the tank.

If we get relegated this season we will remember his departure like the Huckerby one a year before relegation.

Played well and had some nice touches. Will be interesting to see how many he scores per minutes on the pitch to our forwards from today to the end of the season.

From Villa forum:

"Fair play, didnt see a thing wrong tonight. Nothing fancy just good touches and used his head. Lovely back-heel too"

"I can''t believe the abuse he gets. I really don''t understand it. He was fine."

"Impressed by his work rate and touch on the ball - thought he was more of a lump than that. Good cameo performance, promising."

"Actually seems to have quite a good footballing brain. Decent little cameo IMO."

"Was good when he came, chased everything, held it up. Well done."

"He surprised me quite a bit, he did really well. I am surprised how decent his driven crosses are."

"Seems to be quite a clever player. Pleasantly suprised."

This one really HURTS because I used to say that Holt could be our Kevin Davies and play to 35 or 36:

"If he can play that every week, I''d sign him and give a 2-3 year deal. He''s never been a quick player so getting older shouldn''t really affect his game. Like I said when he signed, he could become a Kevin Davies type player for us...."

Bit of effort as its his first game.Fades over subsequent games.Barely makes the squad by the end of the season (if he stays fit)

Course it wasn''t that he was in decline, it was Hughton''s negative tactics, because when he went to Wigan....Oh....

Let''s wait and see how he goes this season before you write him off morty. If there is one thing you should have learnt from his time here it''s that you should never write him off and he is always up for the fight.

He went to Wigan where he was shoved up front on his own in a five man midfield where the only creative player (Maloney) was out with a long term injury.

Wigan lost 3-0 today.

[quote user="JF"]Let''s wait and see how he goes this season before you write him off morty. If there is one thing you should have learnt from his time here it''s that you should never write him off and he is always up for the fight.[/quote]Nah.I''m writing him off now, and you can quote me on that.

[quote user="morty"]Course it wasn''t that he was in decline, it was Hughton''s negative tactics, because when he went to Wigan....Oh....[/quote]
..............He got injured and they changed their manager.... You can''t be Mr. Positive and get onto others for being negative when it suits you. At least be consistent. There is no reason to knock him, as I''m sure we all know very little behind the scenes about his time at Wigan.

"I''m writing him off now, and you can quote me on that"

The other day I said that Holt would outscore Elmander in the Premier League season with Elmander having a 17 game head start.

Your response was "lol". If Holt is so bad then surely you would be willing to have that friendly wager with no money or property involved?

You can never give a straight answer to a simple question, you should be a politician.

[quote user="morty"]We got rid of Holt at exactly the right time.Deal with it.[/quote]

Lol. I think tonight holt has gone a little way to showing he''s still effective in this league. So to say we sold at the right time, especially considering our awful goal scoring record, is a little silly. We could have used Holty a lot this season.

morty wrote the following post at 18/01/2014 7:53 PM:

We got rid of Holt at exactly the right time.

Deal with it.

It''s a stroke of luck that we will now get to find out if this is the case isn''t it?

I have no problem regarding when we released Holt and also thought he did well today, best of luck to him other than vs us of course...now that will be strange!

why would we want him to be our kevin davies? That is one of the reasons why they did so bad, they didn''t bring any quality to replace him when he was past it.

Your attitude towards Hughton compared to your attitude towards Grant Holt just about sums you up, Morty.

Norwich City were great for Holty and in return he was a club legend in the truest manner, so let''s slag him off while we defend our charisma bypass manager shall we?

Certain clubs and managers suit certain players. Holt will do a job for Lambert which will include galvanising the players. Note, today, go to a ground where clueless Chris led us waving the white flag and take the game to them. Liverpool had to think about defending as well as attacking. That''s Holt and Lambert; and it used to be us.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Your attitude towards Hughton compared to your attitude towards Grant Holt just about sums you up, Morty.

Norwich City were great for Holty and in return he was a club legend in the truest manner, so let''s slag him off while we defend our charisma bypass manager shall we?

Certain clubs and managers suit certain players. Holt will do a job for Lambert which will include galvanising the players. Note, today, go to a ground where clueless Chris led us waving the white flag and take the game to them. Liverpool had to think about defending as well as attacking. That''s Holt and Lambert; and it used to be us.[/quote]
Just this. I completely agree. I look forward to the time when we play football anywhere near the quality we did under Lambert again.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Your attitude towards Hughton compared to your attitude towards Grant Holt just about sums you up, Morty.

Certain clubs and managers suit certain players. Holt will do a job for Lambert which will include galvanising the players. Note, today, go to a ground where clueless Chris led us waving the white flag and take the game to them. Liverpool had to think about defending as well as attacking. That''s Holt and Lambert; and it used to be us.[/quote]

what if you try supporting the people that are at this club?

"why would we want him to be our kevin davies? That is one of the reasons why they did so bad, they didn''t bring any quality to replace him when he was past it"

He was almost 34 when he got his (deserved) England cap. Grant Holt is 32.