Sign in to follow this  
unique

The hapless trio 'Get out of Jail'......

I was speaking to a Birmingham fan last week, and asked him how their fans generally viewed Hughton.....

"If we went a goal down, then that was pretty much it....he never had a ''Plan B''....he always made his substitutions late in the game...."

It was pretty much one-way traffic in the 2nd half yesterday, even so, McGregor barely kept his hands warm. Norwich were huffing and puffing, but we''re reverting to type with plenty of wild attempts flying into the stands, coupled with occasional desperate defending by Hull during the few times we pressured the penalty area.

So to change things, what did the triumvirate come up with?

Well, Gutierrez definitely had to go. He had put in a good shift, but as expected, wasn''t adding much in attack. The game was crying out for Redmond (even with his questionable end product), or Hoolahan. He sent on a pleyer who hadn''t played a full match since the beginning of November - and it showed - he never got into the game.

With ten minutes to go, the most ironic moment of the season so far Hughton sends on Becchio to try and save his skin. The player that has been treated with such contempt since his arrival from Leeds.

How fitting it would have been had Becchio scored the winner rather than Bennett.

The win was paramount. The players will hopefully gain confidence from the victory. The return of Tettey and Pilkington will boost the squad.

But once this season ends, and whichever league Norwich find themselves, this two-year era should be brought to a swift end and a new team brought in at the helm to unify the club.

So, on the whole, you''re pretty happy that your team picked up a much needed win then?

I''m delighted with the win. Becchios appearance feels a little bit "put in the shop window" as its transfer time.

It does make me laugh how people are desperate to draw negatives from yesterday, rather than just enjoy the fact we won.

Morty, the example of "desperate to draw negatives" here being what exactly?

[quote user="djc"]Morty, the example of "desperate to draw negatives" here being what exactly?[/quote]Take a look around the forum in general, you get the impression some would rather we had lost yesterday.And they can''t bring themselves to give the team much credit for digging out a vital win.

Perhaps people wanted us to lose, so Hughts gets the sack. I am pleased we won, but it means he gets longer in the job to continue turning out woeful performances. Ok so yes sometimes we do need to play ugly to grind out the 3 points but we seek to be going away from the entertaining style that many fans want to see. Is it too much to want both 3 points and some quality entertainment? I do appreciate however we will never be entertaining as Barcelona....

As one who would rather Hughton goes than stays I was very happy with the win yesterday. I am not one of those supporters who want us to lose in order to speed up the departure of the manager.There were signs of a welcome improvement yesterday, both by individuals and the team as a whole and we fully deserved to win, even though Hull could have been out of reach within the first 5 minutes. One isolated victory against a team with a very poor away record does not mean that we are out of the woods.

As a general point, I think ''outers'' would have an easier time conversing with people if they stopped using ridiculous adjectives like "hapless" and "clueless" to describe Hughton.

I can totally understand not thinking he''s the man for the job, but going that far is just idiocy. Quite clearly he''s not clueless, and stating it like that makes you sound like an OTT child.

[quote user="unique"]I was speaking to a Birmingham fan last week, and asked him how their fans generally viewed Hughton.....

"If we went a goal down, then that was pretty much it....he never had a ''Plan B''....he always made his substitutions late in the game...."

It was pretty much one-way traffic in the 2nd half yesterday, even so, McGregor barely kept his hands warm. Norwich were huffing and puffing, but we''re reverting to type with plenty of wild attempts flying into the stands, coupled with occasional desperate defending by Hull during the few times we pressured the penalty area.

So to change things, what did the triumvirate come up with?

Well, Gutierrez definitely had to go. He had put in a good shift, but as expected, wasn''t adding much in attack. The game was crying out for Redmond (even with his questionable end product), or Hoolahan. He sent on a pleyer who hadn''t played a full match since the beginning of November - and it showed - he never got into the game.

With ten minutes to go, the most ironic moment of the season so far Hughton sends on Becchio to try and save his skin. The player that has been treated with such contempt since his arrival from Leeds.

How fitting it would have been had Becchio scored the winner rather than Bennett.

The win was paramount. The players will hopefully gain confidence from the victory. The return of Tettey and Pilkington will boost the squad.

But once this season ends, and whichever league Norwich find themselves, this two-year era should be brought to a swift end and a new team brought in at the helm to unify the club.[/quote]Can you explain this?Im not sure how he has been treat with "such comtempt"As far as I am aware he is a Norwich City employee, been paid to do his job. At this point he hasnt been called upon.Beechio is a very average replacement, should he be needed.The whole ''Play Beechio'' thing is just another stick to beat Hughton with when things arnt going well.How many of your hand on heart could say that if they were asked to pick the team, they would start with Becchio over Hooper, RVW or even Elmander?Also, no one seems to want to find positives when we have had a bad result, yet everyon wants to find negatives when we have had a good result!A win next Saturday, a couple of results go our way and we could be sat in 10th outright.

Becchio came to the club ''hot off the press'', so to speak, in as much as he had scored just shy of 20 goals for Leeds in just half a season.

Norwich, in the Hughton reign, fail to score enough goals, hence such a derisory goal difference that might come back to bite them come the season end.

Becchio has seen all manner of combinations tried ahead of him, with the tiresome same results. If we go a goal down, there is no chance we will win the game, and the thought of Norwich ever scoring more than one goal in a game has long since become a pipe dream.

There appears to be a resentment from Hughton of Becchio being at the club. He has not offered him any worthwhile time on the pitch, and unjustifiably, has offered Elmander plenty of opportunity, a player who hasn''t managed 20 goals in total over the past three years and counting......

The majority of Norwich supporters will of course be happy with a win, but anything less than, against a Hull side with such an appalling away record, wasn''t an option.

And yes, I would pick Becchio ahead of Elmander. We might just discover that we have a player on our books that gets himself into good goal-scoring positions and knows where the back of the net is.

[quote user="unique"]Becchio came to the club ''hot off the press'', so to speak, in as much as he had scored just shy of 20 goals for Leeds in just half a season.

Norwich, in the Hughton reign, fail to score enough goals, hence such a derisory goal difference that might come back to bite them come the season end.

Becchio has seen all manner of combinations tried ahead of him, with the tiresome same results. If we go a goal down, there is no chance we will win the game, and the thought of Norwich ever scoring more than one goal in a game has long since become a pipe dream.

There appears to be a resentment from Hughton of Becchio being at the club. He has not offered him any worthwhile time on the pitch, and unjustifiably, has offered Elmander plenty of opportunity, a player who hasn''t managed 20 goals in total over the past three years and counting......

The majority of Norwich supporters will of course be happy with a win, but anything less than, against a Hull side with such an appalling away record, wasn''t an option.[/quote]

In your head, yes, there does. AFAIK, there is absolutely no evidence of this, but if you''ve got a source to back this up, let us all know.

[quote user="unique"]... and

unjustifiably
, has offered Elmander plenty of opportunity, a player who

hasn''t managed 20 goals in total over the past three years and

counting...... [/quote]

How is this unjustifiable? Elmander has had a successful international career, Becchio scored 19 goals in half a season in the Championship. Hughton (obviously) sees all the games, watches training, talks to the players during the week, generally has much closer contact with the players than we ever can, and has the advice and support of a Premier League coaching team. Fans watch one game a week if we''re lucky and read gossip and the opinions of other fans. Who is honestly more justified in deciding who is the better player of the two?

[quote user="morty"]It does make me laugh how people are desperate to draw negatives from yesterday, rather than just enjoy the fact we won.[/quote]

Equally, it makes me laugh how many times you''ve been up and down on each side of the Hughton In / Out debate over the last few weeks having spent all season informing other fans they''re deluded when they question the management team.

It''s hard to enjoy the win when (like me) you''re concerned that the result is simply masking a major flaw in the management of the club.

I''m not the biggest fan of elmander, but I''m sure there''s plenty that I miss during a game. I''m a classic ball watcher and always have to watch MOTD or goals on Sunday to spot the little intricacies that pass me by during the game.

If zlatan ibrahimovic rates him as the best strike partner he''s ever had (I think he said that) then clearly he''s got something about him that plenty of people don''t see. A lot of fans seem to be of the opinion that a forward who doesn''t score many goals is a bad player.

As for Becchio, it''s always the same. People always seem to think that a player who isn''t getting in the side is the answer to all our woes when things aren''t going particularly well. I''m happy enough to accept that if he was outperforming the other forwards in training he would get a crack at a starting place.

[quote user="QHcanary"]If zlatan ibrahimovic rates him as the best strike partner he''s ever had (I think he said that) then clearly he''s got something about him that plenty of people don''t see. [/quote]Trouble is that we don''t have an Ibrahimovic. If we did have then Elmander might be better, although based on what I''ve seen, I doubt it.Everyone seems to expect Becchio to come for 5 or 10 minutes every once in a while & be absolutely brilliant.Yet by the same token they accept that players coming back from injury, or who are new to the PL, should be given time to get match fit and/or up to speed.

In my opinion Becchio is ok player for certain situations, but he is so awfully slow and his touch and ball skills are under the bar of PL so he can''t be there in Elmander or previous season Holt/Kamara role, being mobile target man to be aimed for and linking the play further.

As complete striker RvW and Hooper are just both a rank above him if not two. His only use would be sole target man when we are forcing opponent in their own box as he has more strenght and height than two others to fight against two CB''s and mayby one midfielder.

We have now three strikers front of him for good reason and all four have a bit different role to play in our squad and Becchio''s role is lesser one.

And to be back in the topic Hughton got it quite much right against Hull this time. Both subs were good choises. Those who say he should have brought Redmond just think how much posession would have been missed when he would have added his shots for those which went to back row. Pilkington is bit more clever team player with better crosses and there really wasnt that much room to dribble and shoot from the wing for Redmond.