Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

He still has to go

I''ll add reasons beyond the style of football. This is going to be another season where there are going to be small margins between 9th and bottom. With the money we''ve spent over the summer we should be comfortably towards the top of this group. Instead, despite being 12th, we could have been bottom had results gone differently. We''re incapable of stringing a run of results together, tactics and team selection are regularly baffling.

[quote user="I.S."]My point stands. If a manager was defense obsessed they would play an Allardici style 4-6-0. How can 4-4-2 ever be considered pure defense?[/quote]

Are you really that simple? Is everything completely black and white in your mind?

Well, your continuous misspelling of basic words like ''defence'' suggests you probably are.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]You can''t defend him. We looked so clueless again. That game was crying out for Redmond and Hoolahan to come on. Everyone could see it bar Hughton. He got very lucky today. No can say his tactics worked. A goal in the last couple of minutes, from a set piece, and at home is not down to tactics. Hull were very comfortable today.

However delighted we got the points. But the future is not Hughton.[/quote]You can''t defend him. Yes we can, and many have given good arguments for why.We looked so clueless again. Then why did we win?That game was crying out for Redmond and Hoolahan to come on. Redmond is a teenager and should be regularly rested. Hoolahan coming on would mean we would have to change our formation which could work in their favour. Pilkington and Becchio came on, and the proof was in the pudding that these were good decisions.A goal in the last couple of minutes, from a set piece, and at home is not down to tactics. Not directly, but our clean sheet and the fact we were in the position to have a set piece, WAS down to tactics. Also, the management team should be credited for having worked hard enough on fitness that we are still competing well to win games at such a late stage, and for working on set pieces in training.Hull were very comfortable today. So comfortable that they lost.

I suppose if this team was it then there might be an argument for replacing Hughton. This team does have weaknesses and there in one index which has us as the weakest team in the league. On that argument, Hughton is over performing just keeping us out of the bottom three.

But, this team is not it. Hughton has shown a remarkable ability to identify and strengthen the weak spots. He brought in Bassong, Turner and Whittaker straight away, Hooper, Olssen, Redmond and Fer in the summer. Hopefully, we can soon add Ricky to that list.

Judging by the thread about him, most people were pleased with Gutierrez. I know that I and those around me were.

One thing I truly believe about Hughton is that he will continue to improve this squad and this team. If he survives till the summer as he will and should, he will strengthen the team further and our quality and performances will improve.

Finally, for those criticising yesterday''s performance, how much did we miss Howson? That game and Hull''s defensive intent was made for his runs. How remiss of Hughton not to play him. Perhaps the outerwear have a point after all.

Firstly I am one of those who was tipped over the edge in the last week or so to wanting Hughton out. However, he has to be given credit for his ability to get a win when he most needs one. Perhaps we need to create this feeling in the local press (Archant take note!!) & social media.

The trouble is that this squad feels like we should be much higher & maybe hope with Southampton. Generally the signings Hughton has made have looked decent or at least you could see why they have been signed.

I cannot see him being sacked whilst he keeps us clear of bottom 3 and the league is so tight. It is this tightness that is the reason for all the managerial change. Everyone is hoping for an O''Neill type new manager effect where yiu string 6 or 7 good results together and secure your prem status for another year.

What the betting those fans who want Hughton out are those calling for the likes of Malky and Phelan as a replacement.

Grow up Ffs there''s not a manager available out there at the moment who''s any better then Hughton and I for one will get behind Hughton and the team as calling for his head while sitting in 12th is not the best move you dipsh*ts.

quote user="PurpleCanary"quote user="ricardo" quote user="PurpleCanary"There is now effectively no chance (if there ever was) of Hughton being sacked before the end of the season. And if we stay up, which is more likely than not, he will be kept on.

/quote

I''ve been saying it for some time now Purple. There''s always the chance of a catastrophic result but we have never been anywhere near the Worthy/Burnley situation. Those waiting for the Hughton out demonstrations are doomed to wait a while longer yet and I believe it is much more likely that he will still be here in May.Some on here have not yet caught on to that reality.

/quoteThanks for that, ricardo, but there was no real need. I keep a check on what some frequent posters here say. It may sound sad. Frankly I think it is a bit sad. I should get out more. But the English language is a fascinating thing. One can hide (or try to hide) all sorts of subtleties, shifts of meaning, and shifts of opinion within it. And since watching out for that kind of nuance was what I did professionally for 40 years I just try to keep my hand in./quote

I had you down as a numbers man, PC....

Still, I trust that calm, unfussed, wise old owl, Ricardo, who has seen it all for many a long year and who has been very close in his predictions to the eventual result more often than not.

Instead of panicking, let''s enjoy the bumpy ride. It''s more fun that way.

No doubt it has been tough, but Hoots always seems to deliver when necessary. Lets put everything into perspective we are 12th there are many teams below us that have spent more than us ! Our spend was required to keep us on par with our piers in the league not to propel us to 7th, 6th, 5th place.

WHAT IS MOST DISAPPOINTING IS THE FANS !!!!!! If we were judged based on our fans we would be rock bottom. There are too many times that I have attended games this season to hear us being out song by our rival opponents, IT IS A BIG EMBARRASSMENT. WE NEED TO GET BEHIND THE BOYS EACH GAME AT HOME AND MAKE IT BE FELT AND HEARD.

IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE

Oh dear "iwansnorwich", you must really be clutching at straws to resort to ad-hom arguments when you have absolutely no idea who you''re talking to.Actually, I do like to keep things simple, and it seems to me that those in the "Hughton out at all costs" camp resort to repeating the same nonsense over and over again in the hope it becomes the truth. No one would disagree that so far this season, going forward our football has been very poor at times, and the quality has been lacking in the final third. The attack is not quite clicking yet, but to suggest Hughton is "obsessed with defensive football" is just another myth perpetuated by those who have an agenda. Now if you can just explain to me why such a manager would start with two strikers, rather than commenting on US vs British spelling, it would be great. Also, try not to use too many big words so I can understand your answer.