Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

He still has to go

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]25 shots, but only 4 on target confirms that for all our possession against an increasingly unambitious Hull side, we still haven''t begun to create clear cut chances or indeed find any real penetration. The system with two wingers and no central playmaker simply isn''t the way to get the best of either of our strikers and as CH appears to have only the one system and no tactical flexibility he has taken us as far as he can, and he needs to go, with our thanks. Whether he needs to go now, or in the Summer, is another question altogether.[/quote]The proportion of shots on target was low, but in terms of chances created it was much much better. I think there was perhaps a hint of shots being a bit hasty with the pressure linked with this game. There was a lot of positive stuff to take from it today in my opinion. We were pressing high a lot of the time, the ball was being played to the strikers, resolve looked stronger, Gutierrez did a very good job for a player that''s not fully match fit, Bassong looked much more like the player he used to be. Snodgrass is getting back to his best and would be nice if the abuse he''s had from some quarters hasn''t turned his aspirations towards Celtic in the near future. Downside is that Wolfswinkel is cutting a slightly dejected figure as the goals aren''t coming for him. He''s still putting in a fantastic effort though and still think he''ll come good. Great performance from Ryan Bennett at both ends.Don''t think I''ve been this cheerful on a Saturday in a while.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]There is now effectively no chance (if there ever was) of Hughton being sacked before the end of the season. And if we stay up, which is more likely than not, he will be kept on.

[/quote]

I''ve been saying it for some time now Purple. There''s always the chance of a catastrophic result but we have never been anywhere near the Worthy/Burnley situation. Those waiting for the Hughton out demonstrations are doomed to wait a while longer yet and I believe it is much more likely that he will still be here in May.Some on here have not yet caught on to that reality.

Oh the joys of another season watching his dire football and interviews. You really must mot take much entertaining if you find our current season a successful and exciting one.Today will have lead to a season ticket exodus bar the people with anything better to do in their lives!

If you remain an ''outer'' I think you need to consider the reasons why you have that point of view. If it is purely based on ''style of football'', I think you have to accept that the Club needs to be more pragmatic than to sack a manager purely because the style is not to fans'' liking. It''s a very dangerous game to play because changing the manager can have a massive destabilising effect. Look at how Cardiff have fared since Malky left - bottom of the league! Of all the Clubs that have changed manager, who has really improved? Most have gone backwards in my estimation. We are in a solid position, there is no reason why the manager should be sacked that the board should realistically consider.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]If you remain an ''outer'' I think you need to consider the reasons why you have that point of view. If it is purely based on ''style of football'', I think you have to accept that the Club needs to be more pragmatic than to sack a manager purely because the style is not to fans'' liking. It''s a very dangerous game to play because changing the manager can have a massive destabilising effect. Look at how Cardiff have fared since Malky left - bottom of the league! Of all the Clubs that have changed manager, who has really improved? Most have gone backwards in my estimation. We are in a solid position, there is no reason why the manager should be sacked that the board should realistically consider.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Jimbo_Canary"]Oh great we won, now we''ve got 6 straight defeats to look forward to.[/quote]You are taking "cup half empty" to an extreme here.You can''t be happy your team has won? Almost looks like you''d rather we hadn''t, so as to give you an excuse to be miserable.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Beefy is a legend"]If you remain an ''outer'' I think you need to consider the reasons why you have that point of view. If it is purely based on ''style of football'', I think you have to accept that the Club needs to be more pragmatic than to sack a manager purely because the style is not to fans'' liking. It''s a very dangerous game to play because changing the manager can have a massive destabilising effect. Look at how Cardiff have fared since Malky left - bottom of the league! Of all the Clubs that have changed manager, who has really improved? Most have gone backwards in my estimation. We are in a solid position, there is no reason why the manager should be sacked that the board should realistically consider.[/quote][Y][/quote]

This season sure. How about Southampton?

Beefy is a legend wrote the following post at 18/01/2014 8:37 PM:

If you remain an ''outer'' I think you need to consider the reasons why you have that point of view. If it is purely based on ''style of football'', I think you have to accept that the Club needs to be more pragmatic than to sack a manager purely because the style is not to fans'' liking. It''s a very dangerous game to play because changing the manager can have a massive destabilising effect. Look at how Cardiff have fared since Malky left - bottom of the league! Of all the Clubs that have changed manager, who has really improved? Most have gone backwards in my estimation. We are in a solid position, there is no reason why the manager should be sacked that the board should realistically consider.

Absolutely right, a line should now be drawn under the Hughton out saga and we should move on. Did amuse me when I drove down prince of Wales r

Beefy is a legend wrote the following post at 18/01/2014 8:37 PM:

Absolutely right, a line should now be drawn under the Hughton out saga and we should move on. Did amuse me when I drove down prince of Wales of Wales road and saw the laddo''s with their Hughton Out banners, they must be so annoyed that they didn''t get the chance to wave them around.

Southampton changed their manager last season of course, but sure, they''ve done well this year. Having said that, they have struggled lately and I''ll wager there won''t be more than 3 or 4 places between us and them at the end of the season.

On the counter, we have Cardiff, Palace, Stoke, Sunderland, West Brom and Fulham.

[quote user="Long drives home"]Oh the joys of another season watching his dire football and interviews. You really must mot take much entertaining if you find our current season a successful and exciting one.Today will have lead to a season ticket exodus bar the people with anything better to do in their lives![/quote]I''m sure the waiting list will be happy.Regardless of the entertainment value on offer, a few people have read the Hughton situation correctly while a whole lot more have been blind to the obvious. You might not like the conclusion that Purple has spelled out but it''s one based on the evidence before us and not on wishful thinking.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Beefy is a legend wrote the following post at 18/01/2014 8:37 PM: If you remain an ''outer'' I think you need to consider the reasons why you have that point of view. If it is purely based on ''style of football'', I think you have to accept that the Club needs to be more pragmatic than to sack a manager purely because the style is not to fans'' liking. It''s a very dangerous game to play because changing the manager can have a massive destabilising effect. Look at how Cardiff have fared since Malky left - bottom of the league! Of all the Clubs that have changed manager, who has really improved? Most have gone backwards in my estimation. We are in a solid position, there is no reason why the manager should be sacked that the board should realistically consider. Absolutely right, a line should now be drawn under the Hughton out saga and we should move on. Did amuse me when I drove down prince of Wales r[/quote]

No Mr Vanwink, why should we just drop our beliefs because you say so?

Hughton still out.

This suggestion of fans voting with their feet is amusing. The ground is absolutely packed every week, there is a substantial season ticket waiting list.

There is no medium-term likelihood of a big drop in attendances.

Jimbo,

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I''ll ask this one question. Is there any reason, apart from you not liking the style of football, that you want Hughton out?

[quote user="Long drives home"]Massive win but hardly convincing 1-0 against Hull at home in the 89th Minute[/quote]Oh and you didn''t have much of a long drive home if you managed to start this thread at 4:56pm.

[:)]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]If we are in the Prem next season and Chris Hughton is still manager I personally doubt there will be a huge defection, and I also believe people on the ST waiting list will make up any shortfall.........[/quote]

Absolutely spot on.

Jimbo

"No Mr Vanwink, why should we just drop our beliefs because you say so?

Hughton still out."

Sounds like you''re on some sort of religious crusade there Jimbo, your beliefs are your own affaire mate.

My comment was more about the fact that we are 12 th in the EPL!

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]Jimbo, You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I''ll ask this one question. Is there any reason, apart from you not liking the style of football, that you want Hughton out?[/quote]

No Mr Beefy, just the boring defence obsessed football thats all.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Jimbo "No Mr Vanwink, why should we just drop our beliefs because you say so? Hughton still out." Sounds like you''re on some sort of religious crusade there Jimbo, your beliefs are your own affaire mate. My comment was more about the fact that we are 12 th in the EPL![/quote]

If we win the next two games I may relax a little but we''ve seen this all before haven''t we?

Jimbo_Canary wrote the following post at 18/01/2014 9:15 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Jimbo "No Mr Vanwink, why should we just drop our beliefs because you say so? Hughton still out." Sounds like you''re on some sort of religious crusade there Jimbo, your beliefs are your own affaire mate. My comment was more about the fact that we are 12 th in the EPL!

If we win the next two games I may relax a little but we''ve seen this all before haven''t we?

I don''t think you will be able to relax all season Jimbo! this mid bottom half tussle is making for exciting times! it''s going to be tense all the way! that''s a hell of a lot better than a sort of mid table relaxed boring season.

This is the best season for years for teams like us, a huge group jostling for places, great!

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zps60176474.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zps60176474.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That''s a great pic Morty. Also, defence obsessed managers don''t play 4-4-2, so that more unsubstantied bollocks from the "Houghton out at all costs" brigade.

[quote user="I.S."]That''s a great pic Morty. Also, defence obsessed managers don''t play 4-4-2, so that more unsubstantied bollocks from the "Houghton out at all costs" brigade.[/quote][Y]

I believe we should keep Chris as manager. Good faith will always be rewarded in the end- let those crying ''out'' be banned for a game or two, then we shall see how arrogant they are!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]There is now effectively no chance (if there ever was) of Hughton being sacked before the end of the season. And if we stay up, which is more likely than not, he will be kept on.

[/quote]

I''ve been saying it for some time now Purple. There''s always the chance of a catastrophic result but we have never been anywhere near the Worthy/Burnley situation. Those waiting for the Hughton out demonstrations are doomed to wait a while longer yet and I believe it is much more likely that he will still be here in May.Some on here have not yet caught on to that reality.

[/quote]Thanks for that, ricardo, but there was no real need. I keep a check on what some frequent posters here say. It may sound sad. Frankly I think it is a bit sad. I should get out more. But the English language is a fascinating thing. One can hide (or try to hide) all sorts of subtleties, shifts of meaning, and shifts of opinion within it. And since watching out for that kind of nuance was what I did professionally for 40 years I just try to keep my hand in.

[quote user="I.S."]That''s a great pic Morty. Also, defence obsessed managers don''t play 4-4-2, so that more unsubstantied bollocks from the "Houghton out at all costs" brigade.[/quote]

regardless of hughton in OR out, 442 is not necessarily attacking, 451 is not necessarily defensive, is it not all about how the formations are set out & the players which play the formation?

we could play with tettey, johnson fer & be defensive - but what if we had a middle 3 of howson, hoolahan & fox? would that still be considered defensive?

interestingly, did hull play 352/532 today? it seemed to look good on the few times going forward & they looked solid at the back. i have thought we could play this with snodgrass/whittaker & olsson guttirrez on the wings?

My point stands. If a manager was defense obsessed they would play an Allardici style 4-6-0. How can 4-4-2 ever be considered pure defense?