Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Good management.

Good team selection, good substitutions, good movement, good possession, restricted Hull completely, plenty of attacking intent.     Good play from the team reflecting the GOOD MANAGEMENT behind it.  Team showing that actually, when they actually play to their potential, they are up to the job.   Good to see Pilks back too.  You could say Bruce''s tactics were a bit negative and obviously would have settled for a draw.  But maybe they looked poor because we made them look poor. A good victory at the right time and a boost for all of us - and the manager.It isn''t the finished article, we still need to score more, but good signs there.Had a quick look at the threads - it seems a bit quiet from the outers.  I hope it stays that way, it''ll mean we are progressing well.  Keep the b*st*rds in their box.   (sorry, I''ve had a long, but very satisfactory day).

Here we go again, normal tosh based on one win from the last nine from the idiot with the yellow and green spectacles who likes to stand behind our hapless manager!

All good points ''Lake District Canary'' (how is the weather in up there at the moment?). Patience is a virtue and I believe a factor which will come back to bite all those crying ''out''- though I very much suspect they will not admit their mistake! With a little more attacking house (especially away from home) I believe we''ll be watching a transformed team- confidence, experience and compatibility are key!

Over the moon we got a win and 3 points, but i think we must have been watching different games, Redmond and Hoolahan should have been on around 65 mins, a fortunate goal got Hughton out of jail, our problems are still very real, dont be fooled LDC

[quote user="City 2nd"]Here we go again, normal tosh based on one win from the last nine from the idiot with the yellow and green spectacles who likes to stand behind our hapless manager![/quote]He''s right though, it was a good performance and result today. What more can they do if they win and then the fans still complain?

[quote user="lake district canary"]

You could say Bruce''s tactics were a bit negative and obviously would have settled for a draw. 

[/quote]

I don''t think you could say anything else. They parked the bus.

But we kept going and the best team won.

Of course you are right OP.

Today''s performance demonstrated that we are well up for it in every respect when playing aginst one of those clubs in our league within a league.

Good management. Probably that too but I am still unable to be over the moon about it as I well remember enough of the bad management performances of recent times.

However, so far so nearly good..

I don''t think anyone can say that we didn''t deserve to win that game. Chances were at a premium but as the game wore on we dominated it. I was certainly calling for Hoolahan but I though Becchio did well when replacing the Wolf and in the end we just about got what we deserved. I thought that, irrespective of the goal, Bennett was outstanding and there were good displays from Bassong, Ruddy, Martin and Johnson.

Also worth pointing out that we now have 7 clean sheets this season. That puts us on course to keep around 12 by the end of the season, which would be an outstanding record. Not bad for our clueless management team ;)

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]You could say Bruce''s tactics were a bit negative and obviously would have settled for a draw. 

[/quote]

I don''t think you could say anything else. They parked the bus.

But we kept going and the best team won.

[/quote]

this. Too many teams these days are happy to park the bus. Thank god we got through in the end

I''m happy the team won today, eases so pressure and gives some much needed confidence to the players at just the right time

Holtcantshoot wrote the following post at 2014-01-19 3:11 AM:

City 2nd wrote:

Here we go again, normal tosh based on one win from the last nine from the idiot with the yellow and green spectacles who likes to stand behind our hapless manager!

He''s right though, it was a good performance and result today. What more can they do if they win and then the fans still complain?

It was a first win, and first goal in nine games - it was a much needed win in a must win game so yes it was a good result. The performance, whilst better, does not merit over the top reactions, we have been so consistently poor over eighteen months with Hughton in charge. When we become more consistent and play the entertaining football our CEO states we should be doing then I will applaud louder.

A well deserved win against yet another very average premiership side. But as somebody said perhaps we made them look poor. Still lacking confidence in the final third but it should improve with a couple of wins under the belt.

The game was crying out for Redmond to come on after 60 mins but instead we saw Pilkington do very little which was not surprising bearing in mind his long lay off. A poor management decision in my book!!!

Pilkington needs the game time. Pretty sensible move, in my opinion.

A very important win, but I would not be crowing after one match. Sustained performances are what we need, reactionary posts after one or two matches are not.

Pilkington is a proven quality player in this division, and Redmond has massive potential yet has flattered to deceive. Delighted Pilks got some time on the pitch today, think he has been a massive loss for us.

Rudolph, did you see Man City have scored over 100 goals? Perhaps you should pay more attention to them if 1-0 victories aren''t worthy.

So...

Would it have been good management if we''d have brought on Wes and Redmond after an hour and won 1-0.

Is it good management to bring on Pilks and Becchio when he did and win 1-0.

Would it have been good management if we''d have brought on Wes and Redmond after an hour but drew 0-0.

Would it have been good mangement if we''d have brought on Pilks and Becchio when he did and drawn 0-0.

You pays yer money....

Yep credit where its due, we deserved to win.

I was much happier on the train homeward bound with three points rather than a loss and the concern of who was to replace Hughton.

i am no Hughton fan but I am an ardent Yella so I rejoice. Becchio was immense when he came on, Martin got forward and led the team brilliantly and dear old Snoddy after a frustrating first half was constant worry to the Hull defence in the second half.

As a curve ball, if Calderwood (or Cricklewood as someone called out from the Barclay) does go to Northampton I will have more of a skip in my step

[quote user="I.S."]Pilkington is a proven quality player in this division, and Redmond has massive potential yet has flattered to deceive. Delighted Pilks got some time on the pitch today, think he has been a massive loss for us.

L

Rudolph, did you see Man City have scored over 100 goals? Perhaps you should pay more attention to them if 1-0 victories aren''t worthy.[/quote]The point I am trying to make was that we were desperate for goal and an injection of pace to get behind the defence was needed. A young fully fit Redmond would have more to offer. Pilks was coming back off long layoff. what de he do when he game on!!!

It felt a carbon copy of the Cardiff game for me and I was beginning to think with all our huffing and puffing we were going to end up with the same result.

It could have been a very different game if Jelavic had finished what for him should have been a certain goal and Bruce hadn''t had to reshuffle his pack early on (roughly 20mins) when he lost a player, as up until then Hull were dominating possession and overpowering our midfield. The minute they switched to 442 we never really looked back, ifs and buts, but it could have been a very nervy afternoon.

But i don''t say that to detract from the victory, we got a bit of good fortunate and from then on the game was ours to lose. We might have left it late but in the end it was a good result and a good performance from team and manager.

It does amuse me how bipolar this board is, when we lose some go mental with baying for his blood, when we win it''s like the second coming for some...

Truth is we got the result we should have yesterday and both players and manager deserve credit for their performance under massive pressure, i''m massively happy about that, but it was hardly a performance worth shouting about.

A good win and credit to Hughton for pulling out those wins when he really needs them and is under pressure - thats admirable. But certainly no tactical genius'' was involved in todays win and wasn''t particularly inspired by the substitutions either.

A good win, and on to the next one. But 1 in 9 and LDC seems to bark on as if we have some sort of sacred god managing us.

[quote user="hogesar"] LDC seems to bark on as if we have some sort of sacred god managing us.[/quote]

LDC is simply  barking back at posters who have gone too far in their one sided view of the manager.    I have said plenty of times that he is not immune from criticism, but that there is just more to the manager than some would have you believe, that''s all.   Also, contrary to what some would put out, things are never as black - or white - as some would have you believe. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"] LDC seems to bark on as if we have some sort of sacred god managing us.[/quote]

LDC is simply  barking back at posters who have gone too far in their one sided view of the manager.    I have said plenty of times that he is not immune from criticism, but that there is just more to the manager than some would have you believe, that''s all.   Also, contrary to what some would put out, things are never as black - or white - as some would have you believe.  [/quote]
I fully appreciate that, and i know full well there''s some on here who would still be shouting for Hughton''s head if we finished 10th this season winning our next 5 games in a row. I get that.
It doesn''t mean that you then have to go the complete opposite way and praise him a bit, unnecessarily. It''s almost patronising towards Hughton. Like i said, he deserves praise for getting a win when it mattered most - like he has done previously but you have to remember this was against a poor Hull side who are terrible away from home, and it was far from a thrashing.
So yesterday, he pretty much just did his job. Nothing special - no clever substitution that won the game nor any major tactical change which swung the game in our favour. I don''t get praised for doing what''s expected of me day in day out, i get praised when i go beyond that. Same should apply to Hughton.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"] LDC seems to bark on as if we have some sort of sacred god managing us.[/quote]LDC is simply  barking back at posters who have gone too far in their one sided view of the manager.    I have said plenty of times that he is not immune from criticism, but that there is just more to the manager than some would have you believe, that''s all.   Also, contrary to what some would put out, things are never as black - or white - as some would have you believe.  [/quote]
I fully appreciate that, and i know full well there''s some on here who would still be shouting for Hughton''s head if we finished 10th this season winning our next 5 games in a row. I get that.
It doesn''t mean that you then have to go the complete opposite way and praise him a bit, unnecessarily. It''s almost patronising towards Hughton. Like i said, he deserves praise for getting a win when it mattered most - like he has done previously but you have to remember this was against a poor Hull side who are terrible away from home, and it was far from a thrashing.
So yesterday, he pretty much just did his job. Nothing special - no clever substitution that won the game nor any major tactical change which swung the game in our favour. I don''t get praised for doing what''s expected of me day in day out, i get praised when i go beyond that. Same should apply to Hughton.
[/quote]

That''s all fair enough, however, in my attempts to bring some balance to the debate over recent months and seeing all sorts of abusive and disrespectful  nonsense written, I think that to drive the point home to one or two people when it is clear things are still on track, imo does no harm. 

[quote user="City 2nd"]Here we go again, normal tosh based on one win from the last nine from the idiot with the yellow and green spectacles who likes to stand behind our hapless manager![/quote]This^^^^^

[quote user="Long drives home"][quote user="City 2nd"]Here we go again, normal tosh based on one win from the last nine from the idiot with the yellow and green spectacles who likes to stand behind our hapless manager![/quote]This^^^^^[/quote]

Nothing I said in the op is untrue.  Not that you would ever admit it.Better luck next time.[;)]