Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Some interesting stats re: bottom half of table

I have just been looking at bottom half of the premier league (or at least from Southampton in 9th downwards) on the BBC website.

The site is useful in that it shows win, lose and draw in last ten games. In the last ten games, we have picked up the 2nd most amount or points from the bottom 12 clubs, despite our poor form. I think this shows how average and similar the bottom half clubs are. For the record:

Palace W 4 D1 L5 pts 13

Norwich w3 d3 l4 pts 12

Sunderland w2 d5 l3 pts 11

Southampton, villa, hull, stoke and Swansea w2 d3 l5 pts 9

Fulham w3 l7 pts 9

West ham w2 d2 l6 pts 8

West brom w1 d4 l5 pts7

Cardiff w1 d2 l7 pts 5

I''m not trying to make any pro or anti Hughton point here, just thought it was interesting to see that pretty much every team in that bottom half is struggling for form or to put a decent run together.

I think 4 more wins this season, and throw in a few draws, and we will be safe.

Before the start of the season I read that one of the Managers of a team expected to struggle to get to the magical 40 points mark targeted 10 matches to win and 10 to draw in the season. With 6 wins and 5 draws in the bag the finishing line for us doesn''t seem so far away especially if the safety mark this year is mid to upper 30s.

Yes. It is a shame we are purely talking about survival, but I guess any other team in the bottom half will be. 10 wins and 10 draws will do it.

Required: 4 more wins and 5 more draws. Preferably in the next 13 games, which could be trikcy!

[quote user="Pabs"]I have just been looking at bottom half of the premier league (or at least from Southampton in 9th downwards) on the BBC website.

The site is useful in that it shows win, lose and draw in last ten games. In the last ten games, we have picked up the 2nd most amount or points from the bottom 12 clubs, despite our poor form. I think this shows how average and similar the bottom half clubs are. For the record:

Palace W 4 D1 L5 pts 13

Norwich w3 d3 l4 pts 12

Fulham w3 l7 pts 9

West ham w2 d2 l6 pts 8

West brom w1 d4 l5 pts7

Cardiff w1 d2 l7 pts 5

I''m not trying to make any pro or anti Hughton point here, just thought it was interesting to see that pretty much every team in that bottom half is struggling for form or to put a decent run together.

I think 4 more wins this season, and throw in a few draws, and we will be safe.[/quote]

Here is a useful link

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2013-2014/versus-bottom-half/full

Losing only twice to teams in the bottom half is the key. Maintain this from in the second half of the season should net us 17 points plus of course the odd point from the upper half section of the league. We may not be pretty but for lesser sides we are a tough nut to crack.

H

Someone was saying to me that it may be possible to stay up with as few as 35 points this year because of the way points are being shared more equally - is there a stato with any information on this?

[quote user=" Badger"]Someone was saying to me that it may be possible to stay up with as few as 35 points this year because of the way points are being shared more equally - is there a stato with any information on this?[/quote]Go to Statto Index, look at last years table after 22 games (16.1.13)Now look at the present table at 22 games.Note the enormous disconnect between the top 10 and the bottom 10 this season.I''ve been saying it for weeks now, very few bottom half teams getting anything from playing top half teams. This is noticeably different from last season. Unless this changes and so far it doesn''t seem to be then there will be a lot of teams who won''t get 40 points.At this stage even 36 points looks safe.

Just to tidy up the OP..........C Palace.....W4  D1  L5  Pts  13Norwich.....W3  D3  L4  Pts  12S''land.........W2  D5  L3  Pts  11A Villa.........W2  D3  L5  Pts  9Hull.............W2  D3 L5  Pts  9Stoke.........W2  D3  L5  Pts  9Swansea...W2  D3  L5  Pts  9Fulham......W3  D0  L7  Pts  9W Ham......W2  D2  L6  Pts  8W Brom.....W1  D4  L5  Pts  7Cardiff.......W1  D2  L7  Pts  5You

can see from that only one team has won more games than us and only one

team has lost less. We''re forever being reminded about this bad run

we''ve been on so what does it say about the others?It could also help explain why the board are behind the manager.

Shows the importance of seeing the bigger picture, but that''s their job I guess!

I have bee saying since we beat them that i think West Ham are nailed on for one of the bottom 3 places... they look hopeless every week!

[quote user=" Badger"]Thanks Ricardo - I had never seen this site before. A real mine of information![/quote]Enjoy.You can go right back on this site. The Premier league info is priceless for debunking some of the anecdotes that people come out with backed by nothing other than wishful thinking.[Y]

[quote user="Pabs"]I have just been looking at bottom half of the premier league (or at least from Southampton in 9th downwards) on the BBC website.

Palace W 4 D1 L5 pts 13

Norwich w3 d3 l4 pts 12

Fulham w3 l7 pts 9

West ham w2 d2 l6 pts 8

West brom w1 d4 l5 pts7

Cardiff w1 d2 l7 pts 5

I think 4 more wins this season, and throw in a few draws, and we will be safe.[/quote]This reminds me of a great quote I heard from Gary Lineker last weekend when he pointed out that the teams at the top of the league all keep winning right now. Obviously if they weren''t winning they would drop down the table to be replaced by the team who were winning.The league table itself is essentially a form guide on it''s own showing that we aren''t really doing that badly.

I''ve been keeping a check on how the teams from9th downwards get on against eachother. ie the games they have played without the top 8. I last posted it after the Palace game. Here is the latest version : -

Southampton 7 4 2 21 9 25 12
Norwich 6 4 3 12 7 22 5
C. Palace 6 1 6 11 14 19 -3
Fulham 6 1 6 16 23 19 -7
Swansea 4 5 3 16 10 17 6
Hull 4 5 3 13 9 17 4
Stoke 4 5 3 11 8 17 3
Aston Villa 4 5 3 11 10 17 1
West Ham 3 5 5 12 11 14 1
WBA 3 5 5 12 14 14 -2
Cardiff 3 5 5 7 15 14 -8
Sunderland 1 6 7 10 20 9

Nutty''s being generous including Southampton in that who are clear in 9th and with 31 points are very nearly safe already.

The interesting stat for me is our goals conceded, which is the fewest at only 7! 

Sunderland who are bottom of Nutty''s table have played 14 games against the bottom 12, which is more than the rest who have played 12 or 13.

We have 9 more games to play against the bottom 12 so you would think that we would be able to get some decent points from them. Even 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats would give us 12 points and put us on 35pts.

I think Southampton are this season''s West Brom. Don''t expect to see them so far ahead of the bottom half next season. I still believe we can finish 10th but you know me!! [;)]