Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

our central defender?

is it still a priority for club to sign one? will the board still be as willing to splash out decent cash for a good CB? IMO we despirately need one, Bassong is too touch and go right now, being very inconsistent.

apparently we did have a bid accepted for ranochia from inter, but i don''t know if that was true as he''s probably a bit out of our league. personally think we need a really good quality CB.

In the summer we need to spend a lot on a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder

Haven''t really got a problem with Bassong. Think criticism of him is getting a bit unfair.

He had an injury problem, he didn''t have a pre season but people seem very quick to write off our POTS.

I don''t really think it''s unfair at all. he is being very inconsistent, along with a few other players. and his inconsistency is probably down to his injury(s). I''m not dismissing him but he has been, as I said, very touch and go. when he is playing well he is one of the best players we have, just unfortunately right now he isn''t playing his best.

In my opinion he hasn''t been inconsistent, he''s been poor.Should not be 3rd in line behind Bennet and Turner until he regains form.Definitely need a quality center back - someone to steady the ship.Weren''t there rumors of Younis Kabul (sp) ??

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I don''t really think it''s unfair at all. he is being very inconsistent, along with a few other players. and his inconsistency is probably down to his injury(s). I''m not dismissing him but he has been, as I said, very touch and go. when he is playing well he is one of the best players we have, just unfortunately right now he isn''t playing his best.[/quote]

Didn''t do much wrong against Hull did he?

I see a lot of people saying Bennett played well but Bassong didn''t. I''d be surprised if they could watch the game back and point out any real differences in their performances.

And in the Everton game it was Bennett who cost us the goals, not Bassong.

Yet Bassong seems to be getting in the position where he can''t do much right whereas Bennett can do no wrong.

I thought he played well yesterday. Totally calm and at times stepping in to snuff out danger before it happened. Bennett had a good game too. I always think of Bennett and Turner as reactive defenders but I think Bassong is more proactive.

What kind of player is ranocchia? I think of Turner and Bennett as being quite similar - strong, brave, no nonsense, but not particularly good footballers. I dont mean that to sound as harsh as it does, I mean their not particularly skilled on the ball in the way David Luiz is. Whereas Bassong isnt one dimensional at all - which is possibly also his biggest weakness as sometimes he tries to play a little too much. Is ranocchia more of a bassong or a Turner? Would be interesting to know how it is felt we need to improve - ie put another bassong next to bassong, or to simply upgrade on the type of player turner is

Is there that much difference between Bassong, Bennett and Turner in terms of what they can do with the ball?

Bassong is a little more stylish I guess and he has got a few more forward passes in him than the other two but I don''t think he''s a really great footballing centreback.

Agree with GJP in that there''s little between the distribution but Bassong just shades it. Where Bassong is different for me is that he makes interceptions more often than the other two. I guess he reads the game better which is why I called him proactive. I think Turner/Bennett make a good pair with Bass.

Although he isnt quite the same player he was last season, Bassong still shows plenty of class. He made some great interceptions against Hull and gets the ball out nicely