Sign in to follow this  
DTT

a warning to anyone good at mathematics

stop following football now!!!

in my short life of 21 years, in total i''ve probably spent a year of it calculating stats, survival odds, possible league table finishes. even down to writing software that predicts scores based on season/recent performances, and software that attempts to predict player performances based on recent and season form. This has been done both home and away, and not just with ncfc either, the whole of the bloody premiership.

Attempts to find patterns have failed, and very often the predictions are grossly inaccurate, however the predictions are becoming closer and closer to the mark (albeit with the odd anomily), i''ve almost convinced myself i can find a pattern. its taken over my life and i cant stop doing it. i''ve become obsessed with statistics and finding patterns. so far today, i should have been working on a major assignment for university, but instead i''ve produced about 50 graphs, and written 4 new algorithms in order to improve the software.

i''m heading in the same direction as max cohen in the film pi (actually scared me when i saw that film once i realised how similar i am to him). The only difference being, he''s trying to find patterns in nature and the stock market, my field is football.

I hope people will hear my warning, as once you get started with playing with stats, its impossible to quit.

someone please help me!!

Right David. First of all, go and find a haystack, lie down on top of it and gaze upon the sky. When you are settled and your mind is clear there is no need to ponder why you are drawn to work on computer trivia instead of completing major assignments in your university studies. This is a problem that afflicts many in today''s generation. It can, therefore, be classified as a disease. As such, while on the haystack, you are now able to focus your mind on how to rid yourself of this disease. Possibly your studies are leading you in a direction that, if you dig deep into your inner being, you do not truly desire. If no revelation hits you within an hour or so, then allow me to make a couple of suggestions on how to "waste" your time differently and apply healing therapy for yourself:

- make a pledge to spend a certain number of hours every week for the next few months learning the names of at least fifty flowers. It''s no good looking at them on a computer or reading about them in books. You have to get out where they grow ( good time of the year ) and touch them, smell them, study their magic from stem to petal.

- No matter what your schedule find a way to volunteer a couple of hours a week helping the elderly in some way such that you start to find joy in assisting people who can benefit from your kindness.

Of course, it''s entirely possible that your cry for help was not in earnest in which case take two sleeping pills and continue with your disease tomorrow. 

yankee: the university work isn''t that much of an issue really. im heading for a 1st with a good buffer. In a strange kind of way, i enjoy playing with numbers, solving problems and finding patterns. This is probably why i study computer science. It is an obsession, i''ll admit that, but i think i exaggerated a little i still have a life, my life isn''t just about numbers. I just enjoy spending a few hours a day really challenging my brain. University doesn''t really challenge me, so i have to look elsewhere to feed my brain. Part of me wishes i could stop doing it, and i''ll have moments like the other night where i''ll lose the plot and it''ll drive me insane. However, other times, punching out code and fiddling with numbers is highly relaxing, and a much better way to wind down after a hard day than to slump on the sofa with a tin of lager and watch soaps.

My main point was a warning to others, as its so easy to get caught up in football stats and become addicted to calculating stats. The problem with it, is there''s a seemingly infinite number of stats you can produce, therefore the predictions get more and more complex.

as for voluntary work, i already tutor first year students, co-run a scuba diving club for students and teach kids canoeing, so i dont really have room for any more.

i guess everyone has theyre own little obsessions, football stats is mine. Untill i''m registered clinically insane, i''ll probably continue.

Splendid Rush: dont worry, i dont own a drill

13:46 - press return

[quote]Right David. First of all, go and find a haystack, lie down on top of it and gaze upon the sky. When you are settled and your mind is clear there is no need to ponder why you are drawn to work on comp...[/quote]

And as Baz Lurman (probably spelt wrong)  said " don''t forget to wear sunscreen"