Sign in to follow this  
Huh?!

I'm very disappointed..

Overheard a fair number of people in the lower barclay on Saturday who said they were very angry we did not lose the game as it "saved Hughton his job". Now, I''m not CH number 1 fan at present, but for me surely it is about the team winning and getting the 3 points?

Our football is not pretty, I know that. But we are in a relegation scrap and winning ugly is the way to do it. Seeing the players react in the way they did surely means they REALLY want to do well in every game?! Let''s see.

I didn''t want us to lose on Saturday, and I was delighted when we won. If we had lost. however, it might have meant a new manager and an end to limping along. In other words it could have been short term pain for long term gain. (In some ways this happened at Newcastle, when they got rid of Hughton, who had won promotion from the Championship for them, after a relatively short time in the Premiership. People were full of criticism, as I was, but the Toon are now powering forward and will give us a difficult game next week. Hughton couldn''t do it again, could he?)

Whatever the result and whatever decision may have been made by the Board, there would be risk attached - we have pinned our hopes on Hughton, can he deliver or does he lack ability at the highest level, or alternatively, we have got rid of Hughton is there anyone we can appoint to transform our season

The die now seems cast, and we have little chance of getting in a new manager even if the next few results were disastrous. We have now to do what we can to encourage the team to produce the best they can, and certainly better than at present. Decisions on a possible manager change will not take place until the end of the season at the earliest. To quote Hughton, "We have to go with what we have".

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]Overheard a fair number of people in the lower barclay on Saturday who said they were very angry we did not lose the game as it "saved Hughton his job". Now, I''m not CH number 1 fan at present, but for me surely it is about the team winning and getting the 3 points? Our football is not pretty, I know that. But we are in a relegation scrap and winning ugly is the way to do it. Seeing the players react in the way they did surely means they REALLY want to do well in every game?! Let''s see.[/quote]

Although I don''t agree with them I do understand their frustration because CH will relegate us.

[quote user="Jimbo_Canary"]

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]Overheard a fair number of people in the lower barclay on Saturday who said they were very angry we did not lose the game as it "saved Hughton his job". Now, I''m not CH number 1 fan at present, but for me surely it is about the team winning and getting the 3 points? Our football is not pretty, I know that. But we are in a relegation scrap and winning ugly is the way to do it. Seeing the players react in the way they did surely means they REALLY want to do well in every game?! Let''s see.[/quote]

Although I don''t agree with them I do understand their frustration because CH will relegate us.

[/quote]No he won''t.

Salopian wrote "I didn''t want us to lose on Saturday, and I was delighted when we won. If we had lost. however, it might have meant a new manager and an end to limping along". - DOUBTFUL AS WE WOULD STILL NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE BOTTOM 3 "In other words it could have been short term pain for long term gain. (In some ways this happened at Newcastle, when they got rid of Hughton, who had won promotion from the Championship for them, after a relatively short time in the Premiership. People were full of criticism, as I was," - ALSO IN THE FIRST SEASON UNDER PARDEW REMEMBER?

Despite having been subjected to away visits to Everton and Fulham the days of actually wanting to see us lose are something of a distant memory, I''ve never really much sense in trying to kick yourself in the balls.

With just a handful of days until the Transfer Window closes I really can''t see the Board changing direction now, to do so would truly be playing with fire. As such and to my way of somewhat simple thinking, the time to change the manger has pretty much passed.

From here the best we could hope for is to see us crawl across the Finishing Line in May outside of the bottom three and then to set about making the necessary changes in the Summer.

That''s not to say I didn''t want to see a change made, I very much did, from here it''s all about making the right decisions to see us retain Premiership status.

I''m sure every fan is currently feeling frustration with the performances and displays we are currently seeing. But not everyone is calling for the team to lose games on purpose.

IF the board really wanted to get rid of CH surely it would have been done by now? Even if it was to happen who can guarantee us that the performances will pick up under a caretaker boss? Who could replace CH? How long will it take to replace him?! Getting rid could be as much of a risk as keeping him.

Until he loses a 6 pointer he will remain our boss, regardless of how much we would like him to leave.

[quote user="Salopian"]I didn''t want us to lose on Saturday, and I was delighted when we won. If we had lost. however, it might have meant a new manager and an end to limping along. In other words it could have been short term pain for long term gain. (In some ways this happened at Newcastle, when they got rid of Hughton, who had won promotion from the Championship for them, after a relatively short time in the Premiership. People were full of criticism, as I was, but the Toon are now powering forward and will give us a difficult game next week. Hughton couldn''t do it again, could he?) [/quote]Newcastle were in 12th place (after 16 games) when they sacked Hughton. Guess where they finished that season. You guessed it...12th place. Although Pardew''s first full season was then clearly successful for them (finishing 5th), they were in every bit as much danger of relegation as us throughout last season and ran it even closer than we did. You are right that they appear to be ''powering ahead'' of us again now but it goes to show that it''s a good job their board didn''t sack him as soon as the going got tough. If anything, it kind of highlights that not every team can continually improve in the way that some of our fans seem to expect, with them going from a 5th placed finish (and the expectations that inevitably followed for the next season) to almost relegated.

...and their team is built with the benefits of gate receipts of a stadium roughly twice the capacity of ours (although I do acknowledge that those account for a relatively small percentage of EPL clubs'' income compared to TV monies and sponsorship).

No one is bigger than the club. I''m a self confessed CH outer, but really, I couldn''t give a monkeys about him. If the team are winning games, I''m happy. Whoever the manager is.

[quote user="Salopian"]. (In some ways this happened at Newcastle, when they got rid of Hughton, who had won promotion from the Championship for them, after a relatively short time in the Premiership. People were full of criticism, as I was, but the Toon are now powering forward and will give us a difficult game next week. Hughton couldn''t do it again, could he?) .[/quote]I would suggest finishing positions of 5th,16th and now 8th as more of a roller coaster than an example of powering ahead. However Newcastle fans have every right to expect to finish above the likes of NCFC bearing in mind the two clubs respective financial clout.

Every game is a battle at this level and every point vital yet we have people apparently wanting us to lose - I wonder if some people know they are born sometimes.    It takes all sorts to make a world, but sometimes you have to stand up to this kind of stuff and let the poor souls know the error of their ways.  There''s only one way to treat fans who "want us to lose".  Name them and shame them then ban them from the ground.  They are not wanted.Imo.

I came out of Carrow Road on Saturday with a big smile on my face having just seen City win for the first time since December 2012!. 12 games I think it had been. I was beginning to think that I was some kind of jinx! I did however have this niggling feeling that the win might just have relegated us! I agree with others though, that it is now too late to change manager. I believe that Hughton will be in charge until May or relegation...whichever comes first! I hope that, despite some comment that may have been overheard, no-one was truly disappointed that Norwich won on Saturday. I understand the ''lose the battle to win the war'' analogies but I really struggle to understand how someone can go to a match wanting to see their team lose. If I felt like that I would just stay at home. Moo

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]No one is bigger than the club. I''m a self confessed CH outer, but really, I couldn''t give a monkeys about him. If the team are winning games, I''m happy. Whoever the manager is.[/quote]

I completely agree!