Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

shots against Hull

According to the BBC, City had 25 shots with only 4 on target. Should not the players be partly responsible for those statistics - or is it the Manager''s fault? If someone tells me that it''s due to coaching, I will wonder why they are professional footballers if they don''t know how to kick a ball straight before they are signed.

Statistics can prove anything, I have been concerned with some of our decision making for most of the season.

I would like to see where we are shooting from and why. I can understand that we have struggled to score goals but hope that the management have access to the information to evaluate what happened and coach the players to improve the situation.

We need better chances not just more of them, of course some of tis will be trying too hard or forcing a shot when a pass would be a better option but again we have to rely on the management debriefing the players so the situation improves.

Comparing the stats on the BBC to those on Squawka it would appear that if a shot is blocked then it would go as ''off target'' on the BBC. From Squawka the stats were:

On Target - 4

Off Target - 10

Blocked - 11

Which looks a lot better...

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Statistics can prove anything, I have been concerned with some of our decision making for most of the season.

I would like to see where we are shooting from and why. I can understand that we have struggled to score goals but hope that the management have access to the information to evaluate what happened and coach the players to improve the situation.

We need better chances not just more of them, of course some of tis will be trying too hard or forcing a shot when a pass would be a better option but again we have to rely on the management debriefing the players so the situation improves.[/quote]

Surely you did see where we were shooting from? From what I remember Snoddy had 2 shots from range both on target. One bounced in front of the keeper but he saved comfortably. The second caused the keeper all kinds of problems and he was glad to see it go safe. As others have said many more shots were blocked and it''s impossible to say if they were on of off target. We could have had 25 shots of which 13 were on target. Who knows? I guess it again comes down to whether you''re a Percy or a Nancy[;)]

It''s partly technique letting shooters down - e.g. lifting the head and leaning back as they shoot. It''s partly speed around the box to get in a good position, which in turn depends on the number of defenders back there. The number of defenders also depends on pace. At times our build up is laboured and slow, with the result that defenders get back. Compare this with the swift movement from which Jelavic should have scored.It also depends on the accuracy of passes. I would have to criticise RvW for missing the header, when he had a good chance, but I defend him for the apparently glaring miss when right in front of goal. The latter was because the ball was too far away and slightly behind him, and even Suarez might have found it difficult to get his foot round it while leaning the other way.

The largest single reason for the chances missed, I believe, was because Hull came for a point, and were well-drilled and organised, as they were when we couldn''t break them down at Hull, although they were down to ten men. At the moment we seem to lack any method of cracking open a defence which is well organised and resolute. This may explain why, when we concede the first goal, we really struggle to draw level.

The thing that makes me laugh is people are happy to criticise RvW for not taking his chances, yet no one has mentioned Becchio falling over with an open goal at his mercy...

Why cant Johnson shoot straight? Iv always thought that his shots go high and wide because he gets a rush of blood to the head and takes a slash at it. At one point, he was standing over the free-kick he''d just won, and I thought - go on son! BJ has one of the hardest shots in the league, if only he could get it on target. Striking a dead ball? Would this negate the wild slash? If he had time to compose himself, why not. And if he cant, surely he could be coached? I doubt he''d have the composure in open play, but its such a potential weapon - if only it could be harnessed!

If you were at the game or watched it live on a stream/TV then you will know that a lot of those attempts were decent efforts and the result could easily have gone 3-0 or 4-0, I''m very happy about that........

I was at the game Mark and I can only remember one decent shot that the keeper had to save (from Snodgrass) and that was so far out it didn''t really trouble him. Where they get 20 plus shots from is beyond me. One on target plus the goal.

I must admit I am confused. Fair enough my shot term memory is shot but I do normally remember really good chances.

Remember Snoddys Long ranger and Rickys attempted turn in front of goal but don''t really remember the keeper or indeed defenders having to work too hard might be my memory though.

Hitting the post is an off target shot. If you smash against the post 7 times in a game you would say the team was very unlucky and all over the opposition but none of these shots would have been on target.

That''s the four I remember Swindon. As for the blocked ones that appear wiped from memories I think it may help to think about the times when the ball was in the box or the times where it may have appeard a shot went over the bar when in fact the ref gave a corner.

There were so many blocked shots in that game, Briuce must send them out wearing body armour! Getting one in the mush is always a good excuse to waste 5 minutes as well, poor soul that he was!