Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Ryan Bennett speaks................

I think he should let his football do the talking,If the result on Saturday was a reaction to a banner he saw on Tuesday night it was belated at least!

p.s. I do know how interviews can be misconstrued

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25810077

This has been coming for a while. Half the reason Snoddy''s unpopular is because he''s outspoken like this and I now expect Bennett to become useless on here too! Quite a few weeks ago I suggested it would be good if the players adopted a siege mentality against the boo boys. It seems it''s now happening. Fans are entitled to want the manager out but the players are entitled to want him in. It''s obvious they are playing for him and this just proves what I''ve said for a long time that it''s difficult to support the team and not the manager.

Stokie.. while you''re here buddy - what''s the local feeling about Pulis? Are they pining for him to come back? Are there fears that he could keep Palace up at their expense?

To nutty nigel ....Most Stoke fans not surprised they got beat at Palace (old managers do get results V previous clubs LAMBERT ) Don''t think they want him back but they are very unsure about Mark Hughes. Stoke fans know they are in relegation fight but most think they will have enough. Sorry it''s taken a while but ive been looking for a recent 3 to go down poll done locally , but very few Stoke fans asked thought Norwich would go !!

Actually I found that interview very insightful into the teams mentality; it suggested there hasn''t ever been a player revolt and that they are very much behind the manager.

What''s more of a worry was that it appeared that some of the players are feeling disconnected from the fans because of all of this, and they are playing for each other rather than the fans. Now if that isn''t a wake up call to get behind the team on match day then I don''t know what is.

So the usual 26,000 plus turn up, some have already renewed their season tickets and a quote from one of our players criticising the support, blackens all of us. Because the media love anything like this, it will be shouted from the rooftops and be on Look East tonight. All because some idiot(s) unfurled a banner at Fulham. If he had been a player at Everton last season Bennett would have realised in no uncertain terms what they thought of Moyes. Never mind no doubt he feels better for having a go.

Of course Bennett could have balanced the remark with a positive comment about our support but fair enough he was on a high and in a confused state thinking Hull were playing with ten men when he scored.

Bennett is a player of great promise and our squad is a great unit. I just hope this will be soon forgotten and this is not a true reflection of our players opinion of us.

Certainly at the end of the game they showed their appreciation, so OTBC.

Well said Bennett, a message which will probably go straight over the heads, or through the heads, of the morons who were there on Saturday in desperate anticipation of any opportunity to.have a go at the team or manager.

There were a group of them near me, pissed as farts and giving it the big I am, won''t be seeing them for a while!

What kind of moron would hold up a Hughton Out! banner for the players before a game? What is that going to achieve? That''s the kind of poison that destroyed Blackburn. It''s a credit to the player that they''re able to ignore these cretins and do the job.

"Hopefully people who are grumbling can start to relax and maybe get behind us a bit more." Well said, Ryan.

I wonder what City1st thinks about all this...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25810077

This has been coming for a while. Half the reason Snoddy''s unpopular is because he''s outspoken like this and I now expect Bennett to become useless on here too! Quite a few weeks ago I suggested it would be good if the players adopted a siege mentality against the boo boys. It seems it''s now happening. Fans are entitled to want the manager out but the players are entitled to want him in. It''s obvious they are playing for him and this just proves what I''ve said for a long time that it''s difficult to support the team and not the manager.

Stokie.. while you''re here buddy - what''s the local feeling about Pulis? Are they pining for him to come back? Are there fears that he could keep Palace up at their expense?[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that is the real reason Snoddy is unpopular. I''d say most people are fed up of his play acting, arguing, constantly trying to take 11 players on instead of making a cross... that said, he had a big improvement against Hull. I don''t agree with Bennett - that the common opinion on wanting the manager out is not reflective of the player; there is very few blaming of individual players, it is usually team performances that cause criticism and that is down to tactics and strategy applied by the manager. Unfortunately, Bennett needs to realise that we''re entitled to our opinion that is hard for them to see which is that how they are currently playing isn''t a) enjoyable/entertaining to watch or b) producing confidence in the crowd that we can win games.

Frankly if it takes a banner to motivate the team to play well, then I hope CR is flooded with them for every home game till May......(that was tongue in cheek)

Agree that those are some of the reasons re Snod, but this season we have seen him arguing with other players quite agitatedly and then there was when he took the ball off Ricky for a penalty (Villa at home?). But he looked up for it on sat which is exactly what we need....... (that wasn''t tongue in cheek)

[quote user="VegasCanary"]Unfortunately, Bennett needs to realise that we''re entitled to our opinion that is hard for them to see which is that how they are currently playing isn''t a) enjoyable/entertaining to watch or b) producing confidence in the crowd that we can win games.[/quote]"The fans are entitled to their opinion whether we agree with it or not," said Bennett.

No one disputes fans are entitled to their opinion but that doesn''t justify behaviour that creates division between players and fans. Idiocy like holding up a ''Hughton Out!'' banner for players to see as they''re getting off the team bus is going to destry players'' morale, as is constantly grumbling during matches. Like RB says, just relax and get behind the team.

Some Fans don''t like a bit back. Reminds me of that fake report that came out recently about the fans outraged a player "looked up" while they were singing about his mother.

Bennett is clearly not one to hold his tongue and why should he? The only ones he''s annoying are the ones that can''t take a bit back, and what are they worth?

Btw amazed the old "for how much he gets paid he should take the abuse" argument hasn''t come up yet.

There''s still time.

You won''t see many players publically saying they''re unhappy or things aren''t right behind the scenes if they''re in the team - especially coming after a win.

But I do agree that audible criticism from the stands does little to help improve things.

Reading the actual quotes from him in the interview, I think I''d feel exactly the same way if I were in his position.   Some fans are grumbling at the players... it''s only human to be unhappy if someone is grumbling at you.

You won''t see many players publically saying they''re unhappy or things aren''t right behind the scenes if they''re in the team - especially coming after a win.

-------------------------------------------------------------

yes, but they also wont be saying that a sign saying "hughton out!" has spurred the entire team on, if they weren''t behind the manager. they would just not speak about it or say more vague things.

True but like somebody else said, if it really takes idiotic fan abuse to bind the players together the motivate them to win games then you have to wonder if we ever had a chance...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This has been coming for a while. Half the reason Snoddy''s unpopular is because he''s outspoken like this and I now expect Bennett to become useless on here too! [/quote]

Apart from he was responding to the people calling him useless, they weren''t calling him useless because he responded.

And he hasn''t done half as much as last season despite us attacking down his wing 90% of the time. If anyone thinks he''s been as influential this season as last i''d be amazed. Its not fun to see your best player cross the ball to the opposition goal keeper a dozen times in a game rather than the striker. Its why players like Torres get so much stick, because they were so good. He was our best attacking outlet last season, this season not so much. Even if stats dictate he is, its because we haven''t been as good.

Possibly the issue is that he is our main offensive outlet where 90% of our attacks originate. Its hard to be an effective winger when every other side knows that the ball will come to you and you will be expected to create the goals without any real help from the rest of the midfield.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

This has been coming for a while. Half the reason Snoddy''s unpopular is because he''s outspoken like this and I now expect Bennett to become useless on here too! [/quote]

Apart from he was responding to the people calling him useless, they weren''t calling him useless because he responded.

And he hasn''t done half as much as last season despite us attacking down his wing 90% of the time. If anyone thinks he''s been as influential this season as last i''d be amazed. Its not fun to see your best player cross the ball to the opposition goal keeper a dozen times in a game rather than the striker. Its why players like Torres get so much stick, because they were so good. He was our best attacking outlet last season, this season not so much. Even if stats dictate he is, its because we haven''t been as good.

[/quote]

We attack down his wing primarily because he''s very often the outlet. Even with 2 up front Ruddy was aiming for Snoddy with long balls. That''s because of his upper body strength which he uses to get between the defender and the ball drawing fouls time after time. The same ploy used by Holty and Hucks. Once you get between the defender and the ball the chances are you''ll draw a free kick and only a fool would stay on their feet in that situation usually with back to goal.  As for the final ball I think he over hit two on Saturday. But for a lot of this season I would say it''s been very difficult to put in what would be seen as a decent ball because there haven''t been that many players in the box. From set pieces if the keeper is collecting too many then some of it must be because the players in the box let him.

Players don''t let GKs collect the ball, the keeper has a huge advantage.
If he runs into a player and falls over he wins a free kick. When playing against keepers like Guzan and Lloris, why on earth is Snodgrass crossing to the edge of the six yard area? These kinds of keepers rush off their line at every single opportunity. He can win fouls, yes. But how many set pieces have we scored from this season? Of course there is a chance, but not much more of a chance than Hooper hitting another volley or getting another lucky deflection. Might as well just let Howson and Hooper shoot from 20-30 yards and not bother with anything else. Because the fouls and corners aren''t leading to anything in general.
And there have been players in the box, decent wingers know where the forward is. Of course on some occasions, possibly many (or most) the forward won''t be in a good area. But so many crosses this season wouldn''t give a front line of Crouch, Zigic and Klose a chance of heading in a ball.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment decent wingers know where forwards are. It''s also true to say decent forwards know the area where the ball is likely to come in. In open play the best a winger can do it put the ball in areas and the best a forward can do is gamble on an area. That''s the only way enough space can be made to score. Hopefully an extended run in the team for RVW will improve this. But never forget that it''s also a defenders job to get into those areas.

I noticed Hooper was making a nuisance of himself in the 6 yard box before set pieces where taken on Saurday. Standing your ground isn''t a foul.