Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ten days ideal!

Ten days - ideal break to get Pilks, Howson, Tettey fitter.  Next team prediction - Gutierrez can''t play so -                RuddyMartin Bennett Bassong Ollson        Fer Howson Tettey  Redmond   Hooper  PilkingtonI know Snoddy played well second half yesterday, but I prefer pace in the team and Redmond has the pace to track back well too, which we''ll need against Newcastle.

Have to admit it''s getting harder to predict the starting line up, especially the match following Newcastle - with Gutierrez in the mix and Pilks and Tettey and Howson to become available for being in the team.    An abundance of riches - and the squad returning to more like full strength.   We''d all like to see an RVW goal too, so plenty to look forward to.

No chance of dropping Snoddy.Redmond still unable to offer anything other than a tricky run and a disappointing cross or pass. Still has much to learn.It will be same again with either Pilks or Tetty replacing Jonas.

[quote user="ricardo"]No chance of dropping Snoddy.Redmond still unable to offer anything other than a tricky run and a disappointing cross or pass. Still has much to learn.It will be same again with either Pilks or Tetty replacing Jonas.[/quote]Yeah I think similar, with Pilks starting at least.

[quote user="ncfctilidie1080"]I heard Chris Hughton is hoping "Dubai" another player before the transfer window ends...... boom boom[/quote]*Groan.

FenwayFrank,

Next U21 game tomorrow at Blackburn, next game Friday 31st Jan home v Arsenal at CR unless the postponed Norfolk Senior Cup game v Cromer takes place inbetween but wouldn''t have thought they would play in that?

You want to drop Snodgrass after he played the best he has in weeks and Johnson who has probably been our most consistent player and play 3 players just coming back from injury?

Pilkington for Gutierrez otherwise the same team. Personally I would bring Wes in for RVW, but that is purely my own preference, i don''t expect it.

Morty,

I think Dubai is a yes but really don''t get why, most of the players (I suspect) would rather stay at home with their wives and children.

If it is a so called team buiding/bonding exercise then there are plenty of ways this could be done at Colney without taking the lads away from their families, I imagine the international players particularly would prefer that given that they spend a week at least away every international game.

Providing/buying in some team building at Colney would no doubt be a damn sight cheaper too?

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

I think Dubai is a yes but really don''t get why, most of the players (I suspect) would rather stay at home with their wives and children.

If it is a so called team buiding/bonding exercise then there are plenty of ways this could be done at Colney without taking the lads away from their families, I imagine the international players particularly would prefer that given that they spend a week at least away every international game.

Providing/buying in some team building at Colney would no doubt be a damn sight cheaper too?[/quote]

Wet, windy and cold.   Three reasons to go to Dubai.   Warm muscles, team bonding, a week away from the family. Three more reasons to go to Dubai.Its a no brainer!  [:)]

LDC,

Possibly three reasons for you to go and if you want to spend a week away from your family and see it as a positive then that reveals quite a bit about you, but for those family guys who have young children they adore and want to watch grow up and who have already been there & done it then not so ideal. Of course if the club were paying for the wives and children to go then that may be a different story.

Ray, its a week, lets not go mad. I''m currently deployed with three months still to go and this will be my shortest tour.

The amount of money these guys are earning if the manager and club want to send them away for a week as far as I''m concerned they can suck it up and get on with it, they are professional athletes.

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Possibly three reasons for you to go and if you want to spend a week away from your family and see it as a positive then that reveals quite a bit about you, but for those family guys who have young children they adore and want to watch grow up and who have already been there & done it then not so ideal. Of course if the club were paying for the wives and children to go then that may be a different story.[/quote]Some poor sods have to spend weeks away from their family''s just to get a decent living. It shouldn''t be much of a hardship for professional footballers on £20k a week.

errr - its their job Ray.The club pay them well for their services and a week away in Dubai in what is bound to be luxurious conditions team building is not an unreasonable request.They''re not exactly coal face mining!

Monty 13,

I tend to agree, my point was, is there a better way to achive the same thing.

Surely it is better for all if the players kept happy on all fronts.

That said, they all know when the get into football they may spend time away from their family, we all have choices, they could as you say "suck it up" or they could jack it in, just as you possibly could, or go awol? They could, you could, but most unlikely, some do though.

Family can be as much of a distraction as a provider of player happiness.

These guys are paid to play in a team that has a tough 5 months ahead, if the management think this week is useful then everyone of them should be looking to give their all during that week, it''s one week for god''s sake.

I''m not in the US military Ray, we don''t generally go AWOL, are you suggesting a pro footballer would?! Like you said if they didn''t want to go away there are plenty of careers that don''t, i doubt they pay the same though.

NWC,

Please read my post, team building is not a unreasonable request, it''s pretty much a given IMO, however I did ask the question, could this not be done at Colney or at least local to the same or possibly greater effect.

Therefore allowing those who want to be around their wives and families the opportunity to do so. Hauling them away from their families could have a negative effect, not saying it will, just saying it could. Most teams clear off ocassionally so why not do domething diffrerent, cos if you carry on doing what you''ve always done your''ll carry on getting what you''ve always got.

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Possibly three reasons for you to go and if you want to spend a week away from your family and see it as a positive then that reveals quite a bit about you, but for those family guys who have young children they adore and want to watch grow up and who have already been there & done it then not so ideal. Of course if the club were paying for the wives and children to go then that may be a different story.[/quote]

It was a tongue in cheek comment, however, over the years, I''ve found the odd week away apart can have some positives for a family, not least because it reinforces what you all mean to each other.....or not, as the case may be. [;)]

How could the same effect be achieved by not going away Ray? If the players are going home every night how are they bonding and how is it different to any other week at Colney?

The point of going away is to promote 24 hour interaction, as well as take advantage of the better weather.

If a player was to complain about this I wouldn''t personally want the guy in the team. I can''t understand how anyone, that doesn''t have a serious domestic issue, would not just get on with it and enjoy it. I''m genuinely flabbergasted you think this is an issue.

Monty 13,

One name comes to mind - Tevez, not sure what the Spanish is for AWOL though.

My post was to suggest that there may be a better alternative, not that there was but may be there was, and yes of course they should give their all, which may be easier to do if surrounded by loved ones.

I just wonder if there is any thought given to alternatives which may bear more fruit or whether we are just doing what all other clubs do without considering breaking the mould??

Going AWOL myself for a couple of hours.

[quote user="ricardo"]No chance of dropping Snoddy.Redmond still unable to offer anything other than a tricky run and a disappointing cross or pass. Still has much to learn.It will be same again with either Pilks or Tetty replacing Jonas.[/quote]In his defence he''s developing a good line in disappointing wayward shots to add to his arsenal as well.

One argument would be to not change a winning team, I''m really not sure if Pilkington did enough to get into the starting line up and I''m not sure anyone deserves to be dropped.

Blimey it''s only January and we are off to the beach already. At least Man City and West Brom waited until May. [:P]

[quote user="Ginja"]One argument would be to not change a winning team, I''m really not sure if Pilkington did enough to get into the starting line up and I''m not sure anyone deserves to be dropped.
[/quote]Jonas wont be able to play in the next game? So we are going to have to change are we not?

Monty 13,

Not a major issue for me, just something I chucked out there but these guys work with each other 5 or 6 days per week and spend 36 hours together every other week as a minimum when they play away, so thats about 30 days of a season anyway, they also go away for a couple of weeks in pre-season, so that''s a total of about 44 days in a season minimum, over six weeks, so I''m not sure another 5 days away makes much difference.

The purpose of my post was to explore whether going away was the best thing to do and was it worth exploring something different. No doubt whilst in Dubai they will train in the morning and something will be planned for the afternoon. The same could be done at Colney.

It''s all about getting the best out of your players, physically and mentally and you won''t please all the players all the time but as you said, whatever they do they should suck it up, get on with it and enjoy it.

Finally, a quote from an international manager;

Eriksson also believes the Wags have a place at tournaments, as he knows how bored players get. There’s a balance. It is disruptive to the team for certain Wags to dance on tables as in Baden Baden in 2006. It is also helpful for families to spend time together the day after games as Hodgson allows.

I''d love to see him back, - he has been a stand-out performer this season, but I can''t see Howson back in 10 days time. If he had been back in training already, there might be a chance, but even if he is back today I can''t see him fit enough to play in 10 days.

So I think that LD Canary has the same problem as Hughton, - how do you replace Howson?

[quote user="Ray"]LDC,

Possibly three reasons for you to go and if you want to spend a week away from your family and see it as a positive then that reveals quite a bit about you, but for those family guys who have young children they adore and want to watch grow up and who have already been there & done it then not so ideal. Of course if the club were paying for the wives and children to go then that may be a different story.[/quote]

Many service men and women spend months away from family, So a week won''t kill these people