Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Not panicking about Transfers

Just a little concerned that we are two thirds of the way through the Transfer Window,and no real sniffs of the 3 or 4 we understand we would like to strengthen with.

I know City tend to do their business without too many bells and whistles, but the only thing I have got wind of today is that we may be sniffing around Gabbidon of Palace, which doesn''t really get my juices flowing, to be honest.

Just shuffling around my seat a little, as opposed to wanting to declare War on our Board for not letting me know what''s going on.

lincoln canary - I wouldn''t expect too many arrivals whilst Hughtons future is under scrutiny.

Is it?

On Sky''s Transfer Centre (as good a source for gossip as any I suppose)

On the same site, there looks an interesting feature on Gary Hooper''s transfer to us, and what the processes involved are. Haven''t had time to play it yet as at work, and not all my customers are interested in football

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I wouldn''t expect too many arrivals whilst Hughtons future is under scrutiny. And fewer clubs trade in January now. The market is too inflated.[/quote]Only in your wildest dreamsDM said CH''s target is to keep us out of the bootom 3, he is doing that at present.

The January transfer window is 27 days of foreplay and then 4 days of what follows the foreplay.

Something like 90% of Jan transfers happen in the last week of the month. I think Norwich will look to bring in 1, or at most 2 players depending on what happens with Hoolahan - which I''m pretty sure will all kick off again next week.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I wouldn''t expect too many arrivals whilst Hughtons future is under scrutiny. And fewer clubs trade in January now. The market is too inflated.[/quote]Only in your wildest dreamsDM said CH''s target is to keep us out of the bootom 3, he is doing that at present.[/quote]

If you think McNally isn''t or has not been discussing Hughtons future recently then your delusional. There is no way McNally will just sit there and bury his head in the sand. He will almost certainly have started drawing up a plan B. When that plan is executed is another question.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote

"The January transfer window is 27 days of foreplay and then 4 days of what follows the foreplay"

I would of said ''Action''

It did make me laugh

As for Hoolahan, I also was thinking we had not heard the last of this!

Gabbidon''s contract expires in the summer, I think it mentions us and a few other clubs are monitoring him. Underwhelming but looks like we''d only be interested in a Bosman... But I doubt we are.

The hooper transfer barely featured on the SSN video as well

I must admit I am not expecting much.

Whilst CH is pretty much sure of staying to the end of the season, his future from then on is far from certain.

Whilst loans may come in, any permanent signings will not be of any substantial fees and more than like used as cover and squad bolstering, rather than serious upgrades on what we have already.

McNally will probably hedge his bets.

I also hate the January Transfer Window.  Just thought I should tell you all that! [:)]

Norwich will most likely be in talks about several players, of those we could probably expect one or two. Gutierrez was a instant impact loan, to cover where we are short.

I''d imagine any further signings would be long term additions to the squad.

One more signing would probably be the max I expect from this window. If we can stay up with this squad - save the money for the summer

I dont think we will get another 4 signings,  and have not seen much demand for that either.   With the squad size as it is I am not sure we can remain within 25 and sign another 4 can we?

A cb a must,  and a c midfielder

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

I also hate the January Transfer Window.  Just thought I should tell you all that! [:)]

[/quote]Definitely two sides to it snakey, but in the main I''m no fan of it. One constant issue I have with it is that fees tend to be grossly inflated ,as so often in business where there is limited time to close a deal. Panic buys are another feature.With all this talk of Ciani, the media seem to have twigged that our overriding need is to bolster the defence . The problem being that the same applies to several of our rivals. Hughton has his faults, but to give him credit, I''m pretty sure he''ll not allow any club to offload shoddy goods at inflated prices in the direction of Norfolk. So, it may well be that we end up with nowt, or another loan at best.

Yes, I can''t see the need for any panic buys. A Centre Back was the only thing we missed out on in the summer so no surprise if this position gets covered.I still feel Wes might go late in the window if we have a replacement lined up. No info, just me speculating.McNally has already told us they won''t deal in this window if they think they are being held to ransom. The Hooper saga last year is proof of that.

[quote user="ricardo"]I still feel Wes might go late in the window if we have a replacement lined up. No info, just me speculating.

[/quote]Don''t wish to start up all the hoo-hah from a few days ago re Wes, Rick, but I''ve a strong feeling that Wes may go even if we don''t have a replacement lined up. If reports are to be believed, PL has some cash in the kitty, and he may feel that it''s worth coming back with a proper increased bid. If so, my guess is that we''ll accept it . The fact that Wes was not given even a sniff v Hull does not bode well for his CR future.

I have little doubt that they are still looking for possible transfer targets.

When names come into the public domain, it doesn''t necessarily mean that there is any truth. Even a small inquiry, such as "Could you consider selling xxxx if the price was right", as we test the market, can prompt headlines about xxxx being on our radar or a target, etc. Agents have also been known to push their players by sowing seeds and rumours.

What is clear is that we approached Toon over Gutierrez. How much truth there is in the Italian insistence that we are after the French CB playing for Lazio we may learn in due course. Given that we seem to be conserving our money, that is trying to avoid the rip-offs which take place in January, - so far only Gutierrez on a loan, does it seem likely that we offered £8m reportedly for the continental player who turned us down a couple of weeks ago, or even the Lazio CB at £2m?

We may be delightfully surprised, but knowing Hughton''s aversion to dealing in January, I can''t imagine us lashing out big money on an outstanding player this month. He has said it before in windows, "We shall try, but I am happy to go forward with what we have.", although perhaps not this window.

I think that there would be a risk. We have had a few longish injuries - Tettey, Hooper, RvW, Howson, even Pilks, which are more serious than "routine" hamstrings, dead legs and twisted ankles. A repetition of these, and we could be in trouble.

Some would also see question marks about the team in responding to the manager. Michael Bailey pointed out this morning that under Hughton on only two occasions has a win been immediately followed by a second win. I''ll say no more, and avoid another in/out debate.

My own feeling is that we have the talent to survive, but I am still nervous in view of the collapse in performance over the past 7 or 8 matches.

" Agents have also been known to push their players by sowing seeds and rumours."

That is where most of this stuff comes from/If you have a compliant paper like the sun then anything can be reported in exchange for ''exclusives'' - which are often no more than some old guff cobbled together by the agents PA.Talkshite and sky will run pretty much anything if it will help to keep up the listener/click count. It is not too difficult either to see how some of the ''less bright'' will over excite themselves and regurgitate this stuff in the hope that it makes them look ''in the know''.However there is still the opportunity for the enthusiastic amateur to have fun, though it is not so easy as it once was, but it can be a perverse pleasure to see ''one of yours'' being carried in the national media.

[quote user="Salopian"]I have little doubt that they are still looking for possible transfer targets.

When names come into the public domain, it doesn''t necessarily mean that there is any truth. Even a small inquiry, such as "Could you consider selling xxxx if the price was right", as we test the market, can prompt headlines about xxxx being on our radar or a target, etc. Agents have also been known to push their players by sowing seeds and rumours.

What is clear is that we approached Toon over Gutierrez. How much truth there is in the Italian insistence that we are after the French CB playing for Lazio we may learn in due course. Given that we seem to be conserving our money, that is trying to avoid the rip-offs which take place in January, - so far only Gutierrez on a loan, does it seem likely that we offered £8m reportedly for the continental player who turned us down a couple of weeks ago, or even the Lazio CB at £2m?

We may be delightfully surprised, but knowing Hughton''s aversion to dealing in January, I can''t imagine us lashing out big money on an outstanding player this month. He has said it before in windows, "We shall try, but I am happy to go forward with what we have.", although perhaps not this window.

I think that there would be a risk. We have had a few longish injuries - Tettey, Hooper, RvW, Howson, even Pilks, which are more serious than "routine" hamstrings, dead legs and twisted ankles. A repetition of these, and we could be in trouble.

Some would also see question marks about the team in responding to the manager. Michael Bailey pointed out this morning that under Hughton on only two occasions has a win been immediately followed by a second win. I''ll say no more, and avoid another in/out debate.

My own feeling is that we have the talent to survive, but I am still nervous in view of the collapse in performance over the past 7 or 8 matches.[/quote]This tends to get said by the club every January, but we bid £7m for Hooper on transfer deadline day last year, having earlier on offered that much for RvW.And a comparison with last season is interesting. As deadline approach we were in 14th place on 27 points from 24 games, and were what looked like a comfortable 7 points above 18th. But in the boardroom it probably appeared less comfortable (as it did to some posters) because we were on our bad run and in January had racked up only two points from 12.Now, with one game to go to that point (Newcastle) we are in 12th place with 23 points from 22. Higher up, but fewer points per game and only 5 points above 18th.So if we were trying to double our transfer record fee last time around, seven points clear of the drop, we might well feel we need to spend again this time.

I''m expecting a CB and a "No.10" and wouldnt be surprised at all if Wes did leave, and to be honest, taking nothing away from his talent or contribution, I personally now want him to move on. I know thats not what the majority want (?), but I just feel that our best team with everyone fit doesnt include him anymore, and of course I want a quality squad replacement in if it does happen.  

[quote user="ricardo"]Yes, I can''t see the need for any panic buys. A Centre Back was the only thing we missed out on in the summer so no surprise if this position gets covered.I still feel Wes might go late in the window if we have a replacement lined up. No info, just me speculating.McNally has already told us they won''t deal in this window if they think they are being held to ransom. The Hooper saga last year is proof of that.[/quote]

I would be surprised if the board were prepared to sell Wes to another team in our "mini league" - especially as we still have to play them

I would think the board are holding onto their cash in this transfer window. We''ve just become debt free and although we are in 12th place we are not 100% sure of survival. So I think they will possibly sanction 1 or 2 loan players and then wait until the summer to splash the big cash. This is nothing to do with Hughton but the club as a whole. They will believe we have enough talent to stay up and, therefore, why risk going into debt again when we can turn a tidy profit and splash bigger and for realistic money later on

" ....I''ve a strong feeling that Wes may go even if we don''t have a replacement lined up. If reports are to be believed, PL has some cash in the kitty, and he may feel that it''s worth coming back with a proper increased bid. ..."

Possible, but if we do sell it''s more likely to be to the Championship or to Scotland than anyone else in the Premier League.

[quote user="Surfer"]" ....I''ve a strong feeling that Wes may go even if we don''t have a replacement lined up. If reports are to be believed, PL has some cash in the kitty, and he may feel that it''s worth coming back with a proper increased bid. ..."

Possible, but if we do sell it''s more likely to be to the Championship or to Scotland than anyone else in the Premier League.[/quote]Well, time will tell. I do believe that we are planning on spending some money this window,so we need plenty in the kitty, and in a nutshell, we will sell Wes to whoever is prepared to stump up the most cash for him. If that happens to be Villa, then so be it.