Sign in to follow this  
wooster

Alan Smith's relegation tips in today's Telegraph

Not an in- or out-post, just reporting Alan Smith’s

considered view on PL relegation this season, after 22 games. 

He sees Palace, Cardiff & Norwich going down.  Commentary on Norwich as follows:

Form guide        

Until the victory against Hull City on Saturday, Norwich had

not won since Dec 7 and, despite a substantial summer spending spree, they have

been dropping close to the relegation zone. 

The FA Cup exit to Fulham will at least ensure that manager Chris

Hughton can focus on the main objective.

Why they

will stay up

Norwich arguably need another four victories to survive and

forthcoming home games against Stoke City, Sunderland and West Bromwich Albion

represent must-wins for Hughton and his men.

Why they will go down

Norwich’s final two away games are at Manchester United and

Chelsea, and Hughton will not want to ne in a position of needing points from

them.  Five clean sheets all season is also

a grim statistic.

Alan Smith’s

verdict: Down

Ryan Bennett’s late goal to get the better of Hull on

Saturday gave Norwich a much-needed lift. 

Now Hughton needs his strikers to start earning their money.  Gary Hooper apart, it has not been good

enough.  Things could get messy if that

continues.

[quote user="woostercanary"] Five clean sheets all season is also

a grim statistic.
 [/quote]
Ermmmm....
We have seven, trying counting with both hands next time Alan...

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]And should we believe his analysis?Well, for starters we have had 7 clean sheets this season, not the 5 he''s counted. 7 actually puts us 8th in the league for clean sheets, so that''s not as grim as some might make out.http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/clsht.html

[/quote]
Under Lambert we only had 3 all season so I don''t think it''s a very telling statistic on it''s own anyway.

[quote user="woostercanary"]

Not an in- or out-post, just reporting Alan Smith’s

considered view on PL relegation this season, after 22 games. 

He sees Palace, Cardiff & Norwich going down.  Commentary on Norwich as follows:

Form guide        

they have

been dropping close to the relegation zone. 

[/quote]Lazy Journalism. Go to Statto Index and look at League progress. Since game 10 when we were in the bottom three we have steadily moved away and are now at our highest position since game 3.

Why don''t pundits actually call it as it is? because most of the time others research and write these columns!

Surely relegation is more likely due to results against, Sunderland, Fulham, Cardiff & West Ham who are deeper in trouble than us!

Given our form against those around us, I think we might just pick up enough points in these games to stay ahead of the bottom 5 teams.

Let''s be honest a draw agains Newcastle and win against Cardiff and he would change his mind in a flash! if it was Smith show wrote this.

What a crock those stats are!

On the MNF, the commentators said what a great season Howard was having for keeping 9 clean sheets. Smith needs to trust himself to write stuff and not rely on others I suspect.

So incorrect with the clean sheet analysis and with the poor form slipping us closer to the drop zone analysis. Sounds like a crock of *hite to me!

He''s probably just deliberately being a bit leftfield in his opinion to create controversy and interest in the story. Not to say we are out of it by any means, but he should at least get his facts right.

It is one pundit''s opinion. But having read the two particular summaries (and given the current points difference) it seems odd that he then tips Fulham to stay up (with Clint Dempsey as saviour...) and us to be relegated.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="woostercanary"]

Not an in- or out-post, just reporting Alan Smith’s considered view on PL relegation this season, after 22 games. 

Form guide        

they have been dropping close to the relegation zone. 

[/quote]

Lazy Journalism. Go to Statto Index and look at League progress. Since game 10 when we were in the bottom three we have steadily moved away and are now at our highest position since game 3.
[/quote]

Alan Smith is a pundit ricardo and it is his opinion so lazy journalism is slightly wide of the mark.

As I''ve stated on another thread what is it with swansalona they have not won in 8 games the last being on the 4th of December they have alot of injuries and they are still in the fa cup and the Europa league, if bony gets injured for me that''s other for them

7 clean sheets in 22 games is an excellent stat for a bottom half side - West Ham are the only Club in the bottom half to better it. If we go on in the same ratio and keep 12 clean sheets this season, I don''t doubt that we''ll reach 40pts.

The article is a pretty poor one and of course these articles are bound to have a London bias because they sell more papers there. Much easier to tip unfashionable us to go down then.

Still, it really wouldn''t matter if Jose Mourinho tipped us to go down, it really doesn''t change anything.

[quote user="Ginja"]
Under Lambert we only had 3 all season so I don''t think it''s a very telling statistic on it''s own anyway.
[/quote]Quite the opposite Ginja.We had more clean sheets under Hughton than Lambert and guess what? We finished higher up the tableThe stats would tend to show that in general the more clean sheets a team keeps the higher their finishing place.

I would trade the entertainment of Lambert for the clean sheets of Hughton any day. Football is much more than statistics.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="woostercanary"]

Not an in- or out-post, just reporting Alan Smith’s considered view on PL relegation this season, after 22 games. 

Form guide        

they have been dropping close to the relegation zone. 

[/quote]Lazy Journalism. Go to Statto Index and look at League progress. Since game 10 when we were in the bottom three we have steadily moved away and are now at our highest position since game 3.[/quote]

Alan Smith is a pundit ricardo and it is his opinion so lazy journalism is slightly wide of the mark.

[/quote]it still doesn''t mean he wrote the stuffmost probably cobbled together by some intern and had his name appended to it, that''s allit might be of an interest if someone from the pinkun could tell us what journalists are at City games, and who are not

[quote user="City1st"]

it might be of an interest if someone from the pinkun could tell us what journalists are at City games, and who are not

[/quote]

I bet some sit at home in the armchair and watch it on a stream.[:D]