Sign in to follow this  
thebigdub

Ola Tovionen

Transfer Banter page

DONE DEAL: PSV''s Swedish attacker Ola Tovionen has been sold to Rennes and will complete the deal tomorrow.

Won''t be coming here then.

Mm. Can''t say I''m surprised. Or too upset. I''m not really anticipating a busy January transfer window for INS - I think last January we only got Camp and Becchio?

It will be interesting to see if anyone gets offloaded/what happens to Ayala/if any more youth players get loan deals now we''re not in any cups (Jacob Murphy/Gafaiti etc.)

So many players coming back from injuries, feels like we have made a few new signings, the one we have made looks to be good business.

Mm. Can''t say I''m surprised. Or too upset. I''m not really anticipating a busy January transfer window for INS - I think last January we only got Camp and Becchio?

---------------

can never forget Kamara.

but I think we will sign one good CB and maybe a young striker in on loan with becchio going out.

Aha, of course! What a guy Kamara was. I hope he''s enjoying himself as Middlesborough with Ayala and Butterfield.

Yeah a decent CB would be ideal. I just had a look on the Sky Bet transfer specials (why do I do this?) and found some rather amusing odds: We''re 33/1 to sign Wilfried Zaha, 16/1 to sign Lewis Holtby, 12/1 to sign Shaun Maloney and 9/2 to sign Jonny Heitinga. This means we can rule out the possibility of any of those at least.

Oh and Vanwink I completely agree - the squad is looking nice and healthy at the moment. I remember our midfield being pretty impressive with the central trio of Tettey, Fer and Howson so would be interested to see if we could rekindle that.

So he considered himself too good to sign for us in the summer, but is now happy to move 6 months later to a team languishing near the bottom of the French Ligue 1...You couldn''t make it up could you? and I''m beginning to think we may well have dodged a bullet with this one.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]So he considered himself too good to sign for us in the summer, but is now happy to move 6 months later to a team languishing near the bottom of the French Ligue 1...

You couldn''t make it up could you? and I''m beginning to think we may well have dodged a bullet with this one.
[/quote]

agreed, I think had we signed him he''d have been looking for the exit door from day one... kind of player who''d let the club down for his own gains...

Interesting article in Dutch paper about him. I''m really pleased we never got him!http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1433/PSV/article/detail/3581096/2014/01/21/Toivonen-is-irritant-een-rotte-appel-en-een-slecht-voorbeeld-voor-de-jeugd.dhtml''Ola Toivonen is an annoying player. "Ronald Koeman on September 25, 2012 after PSV - Feyenoord (3-0). "As a youth player Ola could elbow someone for no particular reason. I do not have a sympathetic picture of him. "Ralf Edström, Swedish former PSV striker in September 2013. "What is the value of his presence at PSV? He plays with no heart. "Wim Kieft on RTL 7 in November 2013. "I think everyone is happy at PSV that Toivonen is gone. He was a bit of a rotten apple in the squad. "Former PSV René van de Kerkhof yesterday about the Swede opposite Brabant. Broadcasting "The way Toivonen misbehaves in the fields, I can find no defense. This is such a bad example for the youth. ''Coach Gertjan Verbeek Studio Voetbal, April 2011.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Pretty damning stuff !  Defo sounds like we dodged a bullet.[/quote]

But Hughton still wanted him.[:S]

I sense his poor decision making in the summer meant that everyone lost out, he went to a smaller club, we lost a player who could probably have had an impact and his club ended up getting less cash

[quote user="Jimbo_Canary"]

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Pretty damning stuff !  Defo sounds like we dodged a bullet.[/quote]

But Hughton still wanted him.[:S]

[/quote]

Yes, it''s all about Hughton.

At least, for some people....

Those sorts of things have been said about a great number of players both great and poor. Doesn''t really bother me - what bothers me are the players that play for the club, or that could be imminently and the attitude they give to us.

It''s easy to forget that football is a job as well as a sport. A few years ago he was tooted as a player to watch, a rising star. An injury stunted that. He is a player not native to Holland and like any other, probably wanted to play as high a level as possible.

Some might want to call that ambition.

Also, Rennes - it''s not that far off us really. Quite comparable. Our urban population is similar to theirs (wikipedia), their stadium is a similar size and their stature is not too dissimilar. Domestic honours wise they have a little more to their name in terms of cups.

So I think what people are actually saying is that he has gone to a club in a league outside of what are recently considered to be the top leagues in Europe, to a team that is struggling in that league. Where he could have moved to us, in one of the better leagues in a similar position and where he could have earned more money.

The one thing that intrigues me is that if we were no longer interested in him, which appears to be apparent, does that mean we brought in someone else to fill that role or did we just not bother after he turned us down the first time and all of the stuff we got towards the end of the window and after of him saying ''never say never - it could still happen'' was infact him realising he had made a mistake?

From BBC site

Sweden international Ola Toivonen, who joined French side Rennes from PSV yesterday, has spoken about rejecting a Premier League move over the summer, with Norwich City reported to be the club he turned down back in August:
Had I got a good offer from England that I felt was interesting, I would have taken it. But there was nothing tempting from there, it did not feel right.

So, there you go !!