Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

A new Wes?

So the mercucial talent of Wes Hoolahan looks to be off.

Surely he needs replacing. This can be turned from a setback into one of our most important buys in our history. It''s clear that while Wes has unique talent (at least in our squad) but he does have his limitations.

Is it time to push the boat out and find a new Wes?

We could get a stronger, taller version, and one more proven at this level. If we committed about £10m to this purchase, I think we could get someone decent in.

Some potential names to get started:

Will Hughes of Derby. Surely if we go in at £5m, he''ll start thinking about premiership football and we could get him for not much more than that. It''s the type of thing that used to happen with us and our talent even Derby exploited that one with Earnmore. How about we take their talisman.

Anthony Knockheart of Leicester. He has pace, a decent bit of skill and plenty of goals. He''s a player with a great attitude and perfect foil for any striker.

Georginio Wijonaldum of PSV. Why not use that Dutch link we have and break the bank to sign one of the most exciting talents around? Another smart and creative player.

Perhaps them three are ambitious, but I''d say they are worth a try, especially to replace such a legend as Wes.

Or perhaps his replacement is lurking right here already in Howson? Perhaps he can develop that excellent vision that Wes has and utilise it in the form of a more complete player?

Chances of signing a player from a Championship promotion contender is pretty much zero - especially when the club would only have to dig its heels in for 2 weeks.

If you want a player very similar to Wes then Hiroshi Kiyotake would be perfect - small, agile and a great dribbler. Kiyotake also scores goals though and takes an excellent corner/free kick - right footed though...

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]So the mercucial talent of Wes Hoolahan looks to be off.

Surely he needs replacing. This can be turned from a setback into one of our most important buys in our history. It''s clear that while Wes has unique talent (at least in our squad) but he does have his limitations.

Is it time to push the boat out and find a

We could get a stronger, taller version, and one more proven at this level. If we committed about £10m to this purchase, I think we could get someone decent in.

Some potential names to get started:

Will Hughes of Derby. Surely if we go in at £5m, he''ll start thinking about premiership football and we could get him for not much more than that. It''s the type of thing that used to happen with us and our talent even Derby exploited that one with Earnmore. How about we take their talisman.

Anthony Knockheart of Leicester. He has pace, a decent bit of skill and plenty of goals. He''s a player with a great attitude and perfect foil for any striker.

Georginio Wijonaldum of PSV. Why not use that Dutch link we have and break the bank to sign one of the most exciting talents around? Another smart and creative player.

Perhaps them three are ambitious, but I''d say they are worth a try, especially to replace such a legend as Wes.

Or perhaps his replacement is lurking right here already in Howson? Perhaps he can develop that excellent vision that Wes has and utilise it in the form of a more complete player?[/quote]

If hughton won''t pick wes why do you think he''ll play the players you''ve mentioned. There will be no upgrade on wes. Hughton does not like this kind of player and does not have the tactical nous to integrate such talent into the side.

Well Jimmy, you make a valid and fair point, but it''s a shame that the Holt situation is mirrored now with Wes and I still remember the coded remarks by Hooper and the uncoded remarks by Becchio.

No big deal I suppose but for me it''s a little sad and rankles of poor man management.

I hope we get through this season retaining our Prem membership and can build again next season.

Perhaps Ryan Bennett can make an appearance, criticise the supporters again whilst re-assuring us!

Hoolahan out, Mata in lol.

Sillyness aside, I agree its an important signing to get right, i have seen wijnaldum before and he looks top notch and would be perfect, though maybe a bit too pricey. I haven''t seen the other 2, so don''t know if they will be upgrades or not.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Lincoln - Hughton started Wes 28 times last season. So that pretty much quashes your idea that Hughton ''doesn''t like this type of player''.[/quote]

Not really. Hughton wouldn''t change things so quickly and risk a backlash from the fans. He''s gradually been phasing wes out.

Kitoyake would be incredible! There is a video of him and Kagawa beating 55 schoolkids in a match on a full sized pitch! You just don''t get that TV over here.

Do you think he''d be interested though? I''m sure CL clubs are interested in him.

It would certainly make us entertaining to watch! I think someone like Wijnaldum has more of a chance of fitting in with Hughton''s hard working, rigid and organised approach. He has a bit more about him than Wes.

Regarding promotion challenges, I see Leicester easily keeping Knockheart as they are miles clear at the top but Hughes could be tempted.

From struggling teams, we could go in for Tom Ince (I know i''ve mentioned him before). He could be reinvented to play centrally? Either that or Redmond could be considered for the role?

Kiyotake wants to come to the Premier League - he''s said it several times and he knows that no top 4 would currently take a risk on him.

He''d cost a lot though and getting his club to sell in January would be tough. If Norwich could agree a deal he''d come in a flash - he has his sights set on displacing Kagawa from the Japan team due to his lack of starts.

Lincoln - if you believe Hughton would play someone just to avoid a ''backlash'' you''re crazier than people say. Hughton used Hoolahan a lot last season because he wanted him to play - the truth is he didn''t make massive returns and the addition of players such as Fer, Hooper and RvW have pushed him further down the pecking order. Snodgrass overtook Hoolahan as the main creative force last season.

Tactical changes explain the absence of Wes far more logically than either a distrust of creative players or a fear of backlash from the fans. The majority of this season, we''ve either played a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 where does Hoolahan fit into those systems?  

I was thinking Lopez from man city on loan, looks very quick and skillfull maybe what we need to link midfield to attack

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]If you think we''re going to be replacing Wes with a similar pass and move style tricky playmaker I think you''re setting yourself up for disappointment.[/quote]

Like I have said, my suggestions are similar to him, but a bit stronger and would fit into the team a bit better.

As for Kitoyake, If he''s really keen on the premiership and would come here, we should break the bank. He is an insane player!

Holtby would be awesome, but I think he''ll end up back in Germany if he moves.

Defour plays deeper and is a different style player.

Guthrie doesn''t convince me. Reading surely want to keep him for their promotion push as well.

Not a bad shout on a budget. I think i''d rather we pushed the boat out with this one though and went for a guy who could make a real difference.

Agree with Lincoln here - Hoolahan wants to leave (it is fairly safe to assume) because he isn''t getting played here. Why would Hughton not play Hoolahan and then sign a more expensive version as a replacement? Especially when, to be quite honest, Hoolahan would still do a more than adequate job in the role if Houghton wanted him to do so - as we have seen in the couple of times Hoolahan has been in the side this season due to injuries etc.

How often he played last season is not particularly relevant. We aren''t playing the same formation or the same players as last season!

" Snodgrass overtook Hoolahan as the main creative force last season."

And he in his turn will be replaced as we upgrade our squad.

If Wes doesn''t fit into Hughton''s tactical plans as his no. of appearances this year has shown....why does he need replacing?

11 appearances is hardly not playing at all. He''s a useful player and will need replacing.

If we got an upgrade on him, surely the upgrade would push his claim for a place more.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]If you think we''re going to be replacing Wes with a similar pass and move style tricky playmaker I think you''re setting yourself up for disappointment.[/quote]

I don''t see what the rationale is behind that assertion. There''s no question we need a playmaker along the lines of Wes in there, but I think they''d need to be able to win the ball for themselves as well as be a playmaker to cope with the extra strain of a four man midfield.

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 21/01/2014 10:01 PM:

Tactical changes explain the absence of Wes far more logically than

either a distrust of creative players or a fear of backlash from the

fans. The majority of this season, we''ve either played a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

where does Hoolahan fit into those systems? 

Exactly so Mr Fry.So why would we buy a similar player who still would not fit into a Hughton system?Anyone expecting an improved, similar styled player to Hoolahan is going to be disappointed.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 21/01/2014 10:01 PM:

Tactical changes explain the absence of Wes far more logically than either a distrust of creative players or a fear of backlash from the fans. The majority of this season, we''ve either played a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 where does Hoolahan fit into those systems? 

Exactly so Mr Fry.
So why would we buy a similar player who still would not fit into a Hughton system?
Anyone expecting an improved, similar styled player to Hoolahan is going to be disappointed.

[/quote]

.....because it is Wes''s limitations rather than his strengths that keep him out of the team, particularly lack of pace, lack of goals and lack of tackles won. A tricky playmaker would be an asset and fit the tactics whether 442 or 433.

They would also be very very expensive...........Juan Mata anyone, only £40m?